The Transfer Window Poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Are you pleased with West Ham's transfer business during the summer window?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:09 am

Yes
84%
No
4%
Undecided
11%

Total votes: 426

Pocket Pardew
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 16 likes

Re: The Transfer Window Poll

Post by Pocket Pardew »

Abcdef wrote:I can't be happy with it.

I feel we gambled poorly on Valencia and Sakho. Leaves us with Cole for a lot of the season. Nedded quality CF.
IMO,
Left with Collins who's past it and Tomkins who is going backwards at CH. Needed quality CH.
Kouyate will be OK for us.
Cresswell will get tonked defensively.
Poyet good for future.
No PL class GK at club.
Songs attitude is poor and will not prove a good signing. never, ever ever ever sign players from Barcelona or Real Madrid.
Zarate will fade away and I can't see him starting 12 games.

Obsessed with signing bargains rather than addressing problem areas and paying the going rate.
Wow. Simply stunning negativity that sums up the support at our club by many at the moment.

I honestly think if we had signed Messi, Ronaldo and a Maradona/Pele hybrid clone people on here would bitch about the lack of English players.

How on earth do you envisage such failure from every signing we have made? We are three league games in and already you seem to be claiming all our new players are poor. Bravo.

Is it safe to assume you were in the Chav corner booing on Saturday?

Give me bloody strength. :phew:
Abcdef

Post by Abcdef »

I was in chavs corner actually.
But I've never booed (an adult making a booing noise? pathetic) and never jeered any player. I go to a match to watch the game, nothing else.

As for this idea that our crowd is terribly critical now and not before. Rubbish.
Remember the booing of Lyall?
Reember sack the bard chants all through the 80's and 90's?
Remember Macari getting jeered from day one?
Remember the countless players booed through the 80's, 90's?

The crowd is quieter now but certainly not more critical.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

It's lucky some of our players don't have to play in front of the old chicken run,now they were something else in their criticism .
Abcdef

Post by Abcdef »

Too right. And all within touching distance not 10 metres away.

But according to a lot on here, anything wrong is down to supporters not throwing rose petals on the pitch as the players come out, the poor little lambs.

Remember, negativity from fans makes the players play poorly and is the sole reason that Allardyce is tactically clueless.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Voted undecided. But certainly lean toward the happier side.

Not unhappy with any of the signings individually, but we didn't address two of the three areas I thought we needed to before the window started - a 4th CB, a creative midfield playmaker, and a goalscoring wide forward. And even the goalscoring wide forward is a little debatable - it remains to be seen how Valencia is used.

On the positive side, nearly all of off the newbies have the potential to get even better, which is a rarity in our recent transfers. And Poyet, Kouyate and Song in particular are all genuinely exciting players to have on board.

The main concern I have is way too premature to count for now - just a feeling we've yet again spunked our money up the wall in the forward positions. Feel like that was clearly the weakest part of our business - two outright punts. For £15m - £18m, I'd hope to be more confident
Last edited by Aceface on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exiledin cardiff
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

Abcdef Likewise positivity and getting right behind the players becomes an extra man,
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

A bit short in the centre back departement, however it could be worse - we could be Arsenal (2) or Man Utd (no specialized centre back, all square pegs).
smarthammer

Post by smarthammer »

A yes but not perfect - how could it be? We haven't got £100m.

And even then, when you see what the top 4 spend, or what it takes to land top, top players the numbers just don't bear thinking about.

Poyet, Kouyate and Zarate already made a good start to their West Ham careers and I think Almalfitano will be better than a few on here are suggesting. Sakho's looked lively, scored already and Song has got to be adding a bit of steel and leadership on the pitch. Valencia? Needs time to adapt - this boys been on a massive ride in the last 3 months - Mexican league, World Cup, West Ham - I bet his head is spinning - but I think he'll come good and score goals providing we create the chances (with our new midfield).

Shame we didn't get another 1st pick CB but elsewhere we do at least now have competition all over the pitch which should be getting the complacency seen in the last two matches addressed when everyones fit.

Overall I think we've done as much as a club like us could realistically do and keep right side of FFP.

Hull have spent some dollar though?
Abcdef

Post by Abcdef »

Exiledin cardiff wrote:Abcdef Likewise positivity and getting right behind the players becomes an extra man,
that may or may not be correct, but...

since football begun, when a crowd was not happy with the performance they jeered the team. It is no different now than it was 30 years ago. If anything the players get it less now as the crowds are far quieter.
Norwich Iron
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Norwich Iron »

Happier than not, we've brought in some good players but did we need Song? Money might have been better spent on a keeper and a centre back - this may come back to bite us. Still we'll see.
Exiledin cardiff

ABCDEF sorry but football 30 years ago as I well remember bears little semblance to the modern game. Crowds in the 80's were a different beast to what they are now, In the 80's clubs like West Ham were a working man club, unlike Chelsea and Arsenal to some extent.
Crowds could relate to players as many were home grown having come through the ranks, yes there was jeering and booing but mainly it was passionate support. Also football was not a 24hr sport as it is now is

In today's game every movement; nuance, tackle.goal is dissected and served on a platter for the football follower, to digest
Modern footballers are aloof from the fans money has made it that way,

Football now is an entertainment business, you pay to be entertained and that's the nub of the argument. Stadia are not the same, seating has taken a lot of the atmosphere not only from Upton Park, but from a vast number of clubs.

We live in a society of I want it now,having to wait for something is a thing of the past, and if we don't get the result we want we voice our opinion.

yes It is quiet and less raucous in the ground, but there are other reasons for that,
romfordneil
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by romfordneil »

I would have liked a new keeper to replace the dodgy Adrian and a new centre half as well. I hope Valencia works out but at 12 million it is a hell of a gamble and perhaps one we couldn't afford. But overall, the squad needed freshening up and it has been given that, so fair play to the owners.
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

Undecided. Leaning to Happy but can't quite get the sceptism out of my mind on a few. A bit harsh I suppose as this window seems to have shown a big effort and certainly the best window for a while. If 2 3rds of those signings come half good that will be a result. Song I think could be a coup if his motives are right, but then they all have motives. I do feel fairly positive though....... :fsake:
Grandad Hammer

Post by Grandad Hammer »

Every one has a view and everyone is of course entitled to there view, my only disappointment was that I'd hoped we could have signed Cleverly but hey you can't have everything! However what we have now is all that Sam and his team have to work with until January, so how about regardless of personal views we all as one get behind the team the manager and give them all our 110% support - Perhaps if they think they are getting our unreserved 110% support then they might be more inclined to give 110% on the pitch.
Abcdef

Post by Abcdef »

EC, i don't disagree with a word of that. The sports far poorer for exactly those reasons.

Also, it's exactly these reasons that the players have it a lot easier on match day. The crowd are less passionate giving players a far easier ride.

Oh for football 30 years ago.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Undecided
I think our problem is upfront
Valencia, big big gamble, just can't see him scoring over 10 a season
Sakho, French 2nd tier player again we don't know enough about
Carlton or Carroll
Could be a struggle again
Hammer83
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

Our best window in a very long time 8/10

To have been a 10 I would have liked to seen a Centreback and a proven goal scorer rather than punts on untested foreigners I have a feeling at least one of them might come good though.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Abcdef wrote:The crowd is quieter now but certainly not more critical.
A fair amount of truth to that.
Abcdef wrote:Remember, negativity from fans makes the players play poorly...
And a bit to that.
Exiledin cardiff

Abcdef you long for the football of the 80's when the West Ham faithful turned on John Lyall, that was unacceptable then as much as would be unacceptable now, 34 years service, hero for masterminding 2 FA Cup wins

or was you talking about the short and highly impressive reign of Lou Macari,

maybe the crowd were more vociferous then,

But all the ills besetting West Ham are not soley down to Allardyce, a great deal of blame sits with the board, and as long as we go along with what they say the more they'll screw us over,

remember seats for a fiver, full consultation about the badge/OS they consulted but still did what they wanted to do,

have we been told how much of the new capacity at the O/S will be corporate, These are things that are beyond Sams control.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Worried about us at the back if Ginge is out for any length of time

Very happy with midfield though and reckon there will be goals if we carry on with this style and don't revert to Nolan and Carroll