Atmospheric Pressure

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

In what part of the ground would you like to see a singing area?

Centenary Lower
6%
West Stand (Centenary End)
12%
West Stand (Central)
23%
West Stand (Bobby Moore End)
8%
Bobby Moore Lower
44%
East Stand (Bobby Moore End)
5%
East Stand (Central)
2%
East Stand (Centenary End)
2%

Total votes: 155

jevs
Has liked: 474 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

SL wrote:Once a section of the stadium has been decided, would it be worth spreading the word to WHO, OLAS etc etc ?

Anyone got any connections ?

That's gotta be the way forward....email OLAS etc and get them to print the ideas and suggestions in the mags. You could always ask them to publish KUMB's addy and ask people to have their say/suggestions.

One essential place that a singing section needs to be is next to the away supporters and my m8 says it still works very well at Brighton.

Andy
That's Zamora

Post by That's Zamora »

Now there are over 30 up for it, would it maybe be possible to have two sections working in tandem with oneanother :?:

might allow this scheme to accomodate more peoples needs - could have a section in DML and one next to away support.

as soon as one starts singing, the other could join in and then the song/chant would spread :D
SL

Post by SL »

That's Zamora wrote:Now there are over 30 up for it, would it maybe be possible to have two sections working in tandem with oneanother :?:

might allow this scheme to accomodate more peoples needs - could have a section in DML and one next to away support.

as soon as one starts singing, the other could join in and then the song/chant would spread :D
Thats a very good idea. If theres enough interest and people are split between these 2 areas then you could choose 2 block in the stadium.
South London Hammer

Post by South London Hammer »

Surely East Lower next to away fans needs to improve its atmosphere.
doctorbob

Post by doctorbob »

We'll I'm hoping to get a season ticket for next season and was aiming for DML so if you don't mind a 40 year old joining in I'm up for it!
outin the sticks

Post by outin the sticks »

*bump* oh and i voted DML middle
chimchimcheroo

Post by chimchimcheroo »

This is a copy of the letter I have sent to Paul Aldridge and John Ball at West Ham.

Dear Mr. Aldridge,

My name is Chim (name changed to protect the innocent :wink: ) and I am a lifelong supporter of West Ham United, I will be forty this May. I have been given your name by the club, as the person most suited to assist me. I am a club member, member of an unofficial web forum on http://www.kumb.com and a regular supporter at both home and away matches. For a few seasons now at Upton Park, it has been very noticeable that the atmosphere at the matches has been subdued and not helpful to the team. The fortress that was Upton Park is no more and opposing teams are no longer intimidated. You could argue that this is due to the product produced on the pitch, and it certainly is a large factor. However, it is the feeling of the vast majority of the support that I have spoken to, both at matches and on the internet, that this is due to the lack of vocal support being given to the team and this is accounted for by seating arrangements at matches. Our away support is fantastic, as they all share the desire to vocalise their support for the team, it is no coincidence that they are all sat together, I feel.

In the days of terraces, supporters could gather within the ground and chant Bubbles etc.. with their mates and other like minded supporters merely by turning up at the match. Everybody who went during these times had a preferred end or side of the ground and knew where to stand if they wanted to sing. These same people are dispersed a little more now throughout the ground and the stands in which they sit, and it is a lot more difficult to get a chant supported, as a consequence. Whether supporters wish to chant or not is an individual choice, as it always has been, but bringing together those that do would increase the volume of support for the team and add to the experience of visiting Upton Park for everybody.

My question, finally I hear you say, is simply this: Would the club be willing to investigate the possibility of creating singing areas, or something similar, within the stands, or is the club opposed to it in principle full-stop? I have e-mailed Brighton & Hove Albion Football club, as I have been told that they had a similar problem with atmosphere at The Withdean Stadium and found singing areas to be the answer. I hope that they can provide me with ideas and advice. The twelfth man factor and home advantage for any football team is a massive boost to their confidence and it’s value cannot be underestimated in many people’s eyes. Some of our traditional songs are also in danger of slipping away in to the ether and for a club steeped in history and tradition such as West Ham, this would be a travesty.

In closing, I would say that this is a win, win situation for the club. I understand that there are various issues, concerns and opinions to be taken in to consideration but it would appear to me that there is vast scope here for an accord, suitable to all, to be struck.
If I can help you in anyway then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours in anticipation,

Nothing ventured, nothing gained eh?
Lost Hammer
Conehead the bar alien

Post by Lost Hammer »

Great stuff chim :D

Hopefully it might awaken them, only problem is, is finding a place to put the 'singing' area, there are season ticket holders scattered all over the ground, now it becomes a difficult situatuion if that ST holder sits in a planned singing area and doesn't want to be part of it :?
SL

Post by SL »

Well done mate, Great work :niceone:

Lets really hope that something comes of this.
outin the sticks

Post by outin the sticks »

good letter chim :doff:

if this doesn't work theres always DI Greekios plan.... :)
SL

Post by SL »

I reckon that the the club assume that the BML and the DML Corners are classed as "singers areas" already, seeing as thats where the noise seems to come from.

It will probably be up to us lot to organise sitting together.
We'll be back

Post by We'll be back »

Very good letter be interesting to hear the reply! I have just joined and read many of the posts about this subject and think it is a great idea. I sit in the BML and have done for 3 seasons and although it is a great atmosphere in some parts of that stand the rest of the ground needs it too. If you decide for near the away fans as many have said that, the allocation for away tickets given changes depending on team and divide from supporters so not sure how season tickets work over there because of that if you wanted to be behind the goal, but shouldn't be a problem in the corners.
jevs
Has liked: 474 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

Nice one Chim....i only wish i had the money and time to become a season ticket holder. Don't forget too that us occasional visitors (up to half a dozen times a season) like to have a good chortle when at the Boleyn. A general area for us mortals who have to buy individual tickets would also be welcome. This could be advertised on the ground plan.

Any news from BHA yet ?

Andy
chimchimcheroo

Post by chimchimcheroo »

jevs wrote:Nice one Chim....i only wish i had the money and time to become a season ticket holder. Don't forget too that us occasional visitors (up to half a dozen times a season) like to have a good chortle when at the Boleyn. A general area for us mortals who have to buy individual tickets would also be welcome. This could be advertised on the ground plan.

Any news from BHA yet ?

Andy
Absolutely none mate. I will try a phone call and probably a similar letter.
That's Zamora

Post by That's Zamora »

Great letter chim :D cant wait for the response as i am completely hyped up about this now :!:

kev
chim
thats zamora
bryant4114
bevster
outinthesticks
losthammer
greatest cockney rip off
hammer0123
chevy
HammerMan2004 + Dad
Richard Cranium
hammer0123
Al
Rob S
Wanstead + 2 mates
One Mcavennie
bonehead
Sicknote + 3 mates
Marky + 1 mate
MooreHurst
Southbank
Jobi Tyrese
Gent
peterbourgh/irons
Di Danio
POSSIBLY SL + 3 mates
doctorbob
POSSIBLY southendmadhammer
Alfie

keep joining up lads, just state so below:
Last edited by That's Zamora on Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer »

Possibly southendmadhammer
Don't know yet though
kev
Midfield enforcer
Location: In an old Bakehouse that never stops needing money!
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by kev »

spoke to chim earlier and will call him tonight we rae gonna try and organise a meeting with the ticket ofice and stadium manager as a follow up to his letter. will get proper suited and booted to show were serious. who ever did that poll is a legend come on own up you little diamond. plesae get your votes in will add to this later
Di Danio

Post by Di Danio »

So let me get this straight, there's a meeting for all thos interested in the Wakefield pub before the game at upton park this saturday (gillingham) at wat time?
Alfie

Post by Alfie »

Yep, I am all for this. I have a ST in the Rio central, too quiet there.

btw, talking of atmosphere, isn't there filming going on in th BML on Saturday with 'Frodo' Woods. A film about some yank joing the ICF, the atmosphere for this game, after Sunday, could be er different.
kev
Midfield enforcer
Location: In an old Bakehouse that never stops needing money!
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by kev »

we will be in the wakefield for about 12;30 1;00