Atmospheric Pressure

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

In what part of the ground would you like to see a singing area?

Centenary Lower
6%
West Stand (Centenary End)
12%
West Stand (Central)
23%
West Stand (Bobby Moore End)
8%
Bobby Moore Lower
44%
East Stand (Bobby Moore End)
5%
East Stand (Central)
2%
East Stand (Centenary End)
2%

Total votes: 155

chimchimcheroo

Atmospheric Pressure

Post by chimchimcheroo »

We all have an opinion about the atmosphere at Upton Park and the general consensus of opinion, including posts on here, seems to be that it sucks sh*t through a straw big-time. Some games have their moments and Cardiff was one of them for me. Top. Since the introduction of book in advance, all-seater stadia, the Northbank, Southbank, Westside, ChickenRun groups of mates and chant-starters, have been dissipated throughout the ground. Upton Park is no longer in the 'difficult place to come', intimidatory fortress category and is more in the Library class. The pitch being further away and the East Stand are factors. Seeing as we would all like this to change, I would like to venture a solution.

If groups of people who share a favoured area of the ground, from the site bought season-tickets together or matchday tickets together and started up chants, these could be picked up by the various groups around the ground and continued. I have been sitting in the Centenary lower at the back row recently and once people realise you are going to start a chant, they soon join in and have the confidence to start a few themselves, especially when they know they are going to get backed. Peterborough Irons boy Bobby got a rousing burst of 'Come on You Irons' going last night and he is 11 :doff: little acorn.

I realise that this will take some organisation but if we want to see a change, then we have to change it. The twelfth man factor at any home ground is a powerful force and a right grin at the same time. CHAVS & TOSSERS need not apply.
Lost Hammer
Conehead the bar alien

Post by Lost Hammer »

It is a great idea which we have mulled over in the past, at the end of the day it boils down to where to seat everyone, personally I'm in favour of the West Lower, most other stands barring the chicken run can hold their own, if we could get say 20 people from this site with their seats together in the DML, I reckon we could get the whole stand going, with that it'll cause a shockwave effect and get the 2 ends going aswell.

To be honest I want to hear more 'West Ham' songs, the most sung songs last night was "stand up if you hate millwall" and "who are ya" when we scored to the Crewe support, personally I think we should be singing bubbles, or the scorers name etc.

As I said, I'm defo up for relocating my seat next season if we can get enough of us!
hammer0123

Post by hammer0123 »

bloody good idea, i am probably going to be in bobby moore next year, but if there is a group in the west, they will help bobby moore get things going, then even one day......east upper..........maybee not :oops: :lol:

corner of centenary/dr martins also will get it going, so i agree, its mainly the west that needs improving.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

I reckon the Bobby Moore Lower.

1. Its Cheap (like the Budgie)

2. There are a fair amount of singers there anyway

3. the view ain't bad

4. You don't get ****ers moaning about swaring, singing standing up etc.

5. Its the old South Bank....need I say more.
chimchimcheroo

Post by chimchimcheroo »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:I reckon the Bobby Moore Lower.

1. Its Cheap (like the Budgie)

2. There are a fair amount of singers there anyway

3. the view ain't bad

4. You don't get ****ers moaning about swaring, singing standing up etc.

5. Its the old South Bank....need I say more.
The Cage and the surges, near the opposition, Remember Ibrox Please Leave Slowly, Jumpers for goalposts.... :wink:
Last edited by chimchimcheroo on Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Hammer
Conehead the bar alien

Post by Lost Hammer »

Disagree mate, the BML can already hold its own, really we need to work on getting the WHOLE ground singing, the east stand upper is a bit of a lost cause though.

I reckon the west lower has got the biggest potential, as we showed against Cardiff, if we can get enough of us there, we can get it like that every game.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

chimchimcheroo wrote: The Cage and the surges, near the opposition, Remember Ibrox Please Leave Slowly, Jumpers for goalposts.... :wink:
Isn't it...Hmm...Hmmm? :wink:
chimchimcheroo

Post by chimchimcheroo »

I am willing to give the West a go, to see if we could get them going in there, about 20 to 30 should do it and we'll enjoy it anyway. Perhaps an experimental game is called for. Who's up for it?
Lost Hammer
Conehead the bar alien

Post by Lost Hammer »

Defo on the list.
outin the sticks

Post by outin the sticks »

im up for it i sit there and for most games its an absolute morgue :( it needs improving
chimchimcheroo

Post by chimchimcheroo »

outin the sticks wrote:im up for it i sit there and for most games its an absolute morgue :( it needs improving
That's three of us. :lol:
outin the sticks

Post by outin the sticks »

lol get a chant going with me, you and l/h :D
goes2eleven

Post by goes2eleven »

I'll do it but not until I can see what's available in the West Stand. I'm front row and (practically) centre of the Bobby Moore Upper and I'd be loathed to part with those seats unless I was going somewhere decent. So, to sum up, count me in as long as we can troop down the ticket office together and pick out a top spot. 8)
chimchimcheroo

Post by chimchimcheroo »

goes2eleven wrote:I'll do it but not until I can see what's available in the West Stand. I'm front row and (practically) centre of the Bobby Moore Upper and I'd be loathed to part with those seats unless I was going somewhere decent. So, to sum up, count me in as long as we can troop down the ticket office together and pick out a top spot. 8)
Fine by me.
Bryant4114
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Bryant4114 »

I was gonna relocate anyway and it'd be great to get some proper chants going. Too much "stand up if you hate millwall" for my liking. It's far too quiet in the east.

I might go to the Rio stand, maybe the Bobby moore

Post by Guest »

The company i work for look after Brighton's Withdean Stadium. When BHA moved there, the atmosphere was ***** so they set up singing sections....areas where fans can purposely buy season tickets or match tickets. These sections were in all 4 sides of the ground and improved the atmosphere immensely.

Would it work at the Boleyn or is the stadium too big to implement it (Withdean only holds 7,000)....Just a thought.

Andy
jevs
Has liked: 473 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

Sorry...the above post was from me...don't know why i wasn't logged in !!!
delly82

Post by delly82 »

I sit behind :tbrown: !! Reckon you should all come and sit by me, Im sure he would love that!!!

Seriously though, its a fab idea. Sometimes (espesh at away games) you get half the people that wanna sing and half that dont, it annoys me and the club should ask when you get your tickets so they can put the singers together!! It would stop the chanting from fizzling out after 2 seconds!!

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:The company i work for look after Brighton's Withdean Stadium. When BHA moved there, the atmosphere was ***** so they set up singing sections....areas where fans can purposely buy season tickets or match tickets. These sections were in all 4 sides of the ground and improved the atmosphere immensely.

Would it work at the Boleyn or is the stadium too big to implement it (Withdean only holds 7,000)....Just a thought.

Andy
That's a top idea mate. Sections in each stand would work IMO. I shall ask the question of the club. No doubt get told to f*** off, but who dares Rodney...
delly82

Post by delly82 »

Anonymous wrote:The company i work for look after Brighton's Withdean Stadium. When BHA moved there, the atmosphere was ***** so they set up singing sections....areas where fans can purposely buy season tickets or match tickets. These sections were in all 4 sides of the ground and improved the atmosphere immensely.

Andy
Remember laughing when they done it at highbury, but now i see it makes sense!! Can you imagine the thickos in the ticket office trying to deal with that though!! They dont have a clue at the best of times.