Ron Greenwood

A Forum in which to remember those KUMB members and other West Ham United family who have sadly left us.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Stevo
Yellow card - abuse
Location: At the World Cup cheering on me main man, Shakaa Hissslop! He dunt smooorke da reeeefaa!

Post by Stevo »

Anybody know whether there is any flowers, condolense notes and such like laid outside the gates yet?

It would also have been nice if West Ham opened up a book of condolence too down by the foyer.. Dunno if this is going to happen or not.
Stevo
Yellow card - abuse
Location: At the World Cup cheering on me main man, Shakaa Hissslop! He dunt smooorke da reeeefaa!

Post by Stevo »

Toulouse_Iron wrote:KUMB has 7000 members and there are only 337 posts on this thread. :shock:

I'd have thought Ron deserved better.

Yeah, but over 6300 odd views have cast over this thread alone. Which tells you the majority have more than likely made a viewing. Not everyone feels the need to add 'rip etc' like the rest of us, especially the regulars. Personally, it felt good to do so but not to everyone to do likewise but doesn't mean they don't feel the same mate..
Holyland Hammer

Post by Holyland Hammer »

Three months ago, on Ron's birthday, I started a thread here asking if anybody heard anything about Ron of late. There was no single response and for a good reason. Guess the man was dying.

Was always so proud of you Ron, so thankful to you.
You were there in 1970 when I started following WH, stayed in my heart when you left 7 years later and will remain there for good.
Please accept my apologies for being mad at you on once - when not playing Billy Bonds in that famous match between England and Italy at Wembley in the 1978 WC qualifications. Looking back it only showed what a great man you were.

Thank you for teaching us that SIMPLICITY IS GENIUS.

Do love you a lot!

I salute for the last time you dear Ron :doff:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 345 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Stevo wrote:
Yeah, but over 6300 odd views have cast over this thread alone. Which tells you the majority have more than likely made a viewing. Not everyone feels the need to add 'rip etc' like the rest of us, especially the regulars. Personally, it felt good to do so but not to everyone to do likewise but doesn't mean they don't feel the same mate..
True, and I did hesitate a while before posting that for exactly that reason. Each to their own.
mjustincredible
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by mjustincredible »

RIP west ham legend!
A wap bam Boogers
Location: In a flat above a bowling alley below another bowling alley

Post by A wap bam Boogers »

Toulouse_Iron wrote: True, and I did hesitate a while before posting that for exactly that reason. Each to their own.
I think somebodies post earlier on (DiGreekio?) being irritated with only saying RIP to the great man may have scared people like me off (and possibly others under the age of 35ish , only viewing the past through video is no substitute).

I didnt grow up in London and would only go to UP in the late seventies early 80's when my dad could afford to, but the feeling was strong enough to keep me hooked when school playgrounds were full of liverpool tops, and football on TV was just Kick and rush and s***. I think I have Ron to thank for my apprieation of football as a game of chess rather than a boxing match. I remember the 82 finals thinking why didnt we want to take part in this wonderful competition before , and my dad having to explain how we were outplayed by Italy in 78 and Poland in 74. It was tough qualifying for the finals but when we got there the country that invented the game got some international respect back.

RIP Ron
Royston: Republic d'Essex
Shaun Ryder changed my life
Location: Being told off: right in front of all the bell boys & the over-friendly concierge.
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Royston: Republic d'Essex »

A legendary figure in our very proud history.

This man was responsible for WHU being the well-liked club it is. While it's difficult to understand people having "second teams", it's amazing to me the amount of people who name us as their second club. Largely this is down to being a club that is known to play attractive football. We owe this reputation, this tradition to Ron Greenwood. Even if our relative popularity is down to the '66 Three, then we owe that to the great man as well. He brought them through, he nurtured those talents.

The value of this tradition cannot be underestimated. This is something that helps our modestly sized club attract players (kids and established pros), support and fans in the unlikeliest of places. I've often wondered if this tradition (and the belief it engenders) is the reason why we so often punch above our weight as a modestly sized, regional club.

So long, Ron. Thanks for everything.
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

rest in peace sir and a big thank you
Neil's Orr

Post by Neil's Orr »

I am speechless that a minute silence is not being enforced. Effectively the FA stating he should not be revered in the same light as George Best and Ken Bigley.

Whilst i understand that Greenwood will not have touched the lives of as many people as Best - hence why I understand the more mooted media coverage - we are talking about the football community showing it's respect - not the nation as a whole.

Any England manager dying should warrant a minutes silence - especially one that did so much for the game both in the 60s and in the late 70s/early 80s.

I would suggest as well as the phone number quoted on the news artical on kumb that the fa.com should be deluged with email complaints.

RIP and thanks for making West Ham the team I love.
Westbound
Yellow card - flaming

Post by Westbound »

RIP Ron.

You was our best
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

Neil's Orr wrote:I am speechless that a minute silence is not being enforced. Effectively the FA stating he should not be revered in the same light as George Best and Ken Bigley.

Whilst i understand that Greenwood will not have touched the lives of as many people as Best - hence why I understand the more mooted media coverage - we are talking about the football community showing it's respect - not the nation as a whole.

Any England manager dying should warrant a minutes silence - especially one that did so much for the game both in the 60s and in the late 70s/early 80s.

I would suggest as well as the phone number quoted on the news artical on kumb that the fa.com should be deluged with email complaints.

RIP and thanks for making West Ham the team I love.
ron deserves a minute silence at all grounds at least, shame on the premier league :x no_no
Galwayman

Post by Galwayman »

AJ wrote: ron deserves a minute silence at all grounds at least, shame on the premier league :x no_no
Agreed - Sad day for West Ham and football generally - scandlous that there won't be a minute's silence...............
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 3486 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Galwayman wrote:Agreed - Sad day for West Ham and football generally - scandlous that there won't be a minute's silence...............
We now know that some PL club's are holding a silence (off their own backs) - as did Reading (and probably others) tonight.
brrrrrett

Post by brrrrrett »

What is wrong with these twats?!!? This an England manager who brought the national squad back to the World Cup after missing two consecutive tournaments. If only Ron had been a belligernet shouty mad alcoholic wife-beating serial adulterer and who had pissed away all his talent by the age of 23, he would have been a sure fire figure of respect.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2179 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

sorry for my use of capital letters but this is a NATIONAL DISGRACE, please any intelligent guys here, lawyers even, ex players , whatever please bring this to the news authorities. how can you expect silence from us again? turn your backs in silence in future, DISGRACEFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tommy Two Times

Post by Tommy Two Times »

If this has already been covered I apologise, but have any other fan-sites covered this? I mean I know we are bound to mention it more, but he was the national manager after all. Surely its cropped up over a few of them.
pennywisepeter

Post by pennywisepeter »

Up the Junction wrote: We now know that some PL club's are holding a silence (off their own backs) - as did Reading (and probably others) tonight.
Not that it matters much, but do we know which ones?
Galwayman

Post by Galwayman »

pennywisepeter wrote: Not that it matters much, but do we know which ones?
Fair play to them - whoever they are...................
Gabbidon and on and on...

Post by Gabbidon and on and on... »

I think it does matter who had a minutes silence , because those clubs and their officials should be thanked for showing TRUE respect, not ENFORCED repect
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

A great man who revolutionised English football. He also gave West Ham the pedigree of always playing quality football. A pedigree which our team is still expected to live up to today.

R.I.P Ron.