Ron Greenwood

A Forum in which to remember those KUMB members and other West Ham United family who have sadly left us.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

West Side Bobby
Total likes: 1 like

Post by West Side Bobby »

Great idea about the avatars lads.

And the idea about naming the 'new' east stand (should it ever get built) after him.
I believe this would be totally fitting, side by side with the Bobby Moore stand, probably the two most influential names at our club.
OK, so they didn't get on that well towards the end of their time at UP, but i'm sure there was still an amazing amount of mutual respect between the two.

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:
The Delephant Man

Post by The Delephant Man »

I've been at work all day and only just got in. No opportunity to listen to the radio or TV when I work. Therefore I have only heard this news by reading this thread and I am truly shocked and saddened.

Don't really know what to say and can only echo everyone elses sentiments in this thread.

:crest:
The Engineer

Post by The Engineer »

Like many, I started supporting West Ham in the Greenwood years, and like many I believe that he was one of the true greats of football, as a coach and as a man.

I must read his book again, but remember that he turned down the signing of Gordon Banks because he had made a promise to Kilmarnock that he would take Bobby Ferguson later that season. Could you imagine that sort of honesty today? He was above all, a gentleman.

He revolutionised our club, bringing in the style of play that we are famous for by studying the best that Europe could offer. I like to think that he would appreciate the way we are playing at the moment.

I also recall his first game as manager of England. Given only a few days after Revie's inglorious departure, he picked most of the Liverpool team for the game in Switzerland (Liverpool had more English players in those days!). They only drew 0-0, but I thought that it was a brave and potentially clever decision.

Thanks for the memories, Ron!
PhillyAmmer

Post by PhillyAmmer »

I remember the Blackpool Fiasco when he dropped Bobby, Jimmy and Clyde (poor Clyde he went along for the ride :-) ) we were in danger of relegation at the time but he stuck by what he thought was the right thing to do, a man who did what was the right thing regardless

RIP Mr Greenwood, the man who gave the Irons our pride
PhillyAmmer

Post by PhillyAmmer »

and now I hear Sir Freddy died, two of my Heroes within 24 hours,

RIP (Sir)Mr Greenwood and Sir Laker
marooncity

Post by marooncity »

RIP

If it weren't for Greenwood I doubt I would be a hammers fan. It was Ron Greenwood and his style that got my Dad following them; I was brought up to always (try to) play and ALWAYS enjoy attractive football as a direct result.
wolverine
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by wolverine »

I wasn't around for the Greenwood years at West Ham, but from hearing and reading about his loyalty and his belief in doing things the right way, i have the upmost respect for the man, and enjoy seeing West Ham still trying to play the way he thought the game should be played (when i can get to see them that is)

RIP Ron Greenwood

you are a legend
Eastbourne Hammer

Post by Eastbourne Hammer »

He made us what we are today. Without him we would not be 'The Academy'.

R.I.P. A very great man.
East london sid
Horses for courses

Post by East london sid »

Topman R.I.P
GeorgeParris'Pet

Post by GeorgeParris'Pet »

Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 258 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

I've read a few niggly obituaries in the papers today - focussing on his relatively weak record with England. What they fail to appreciate is that Engladn had only one World Class player during his time and that was Sir Trev. They also fail to appreciate just what Ron did for West Ham (and thus England) by developing the Holy Trinity and bringing to English football much more than the Up-and-at-'em tactics beloved by English teams of the 50s.

A legend and will not be forgotten.
brillo
Elder statesman

Post by brillo »

Rest in Peace Ron a true Gentleman of football not heard of nowadays.
You gave me my greatest and lowest times of my life.
You helped mould West Ham into the club it is.
You also helped form the most loyal and vociferous set of fans in football.
You also moulded England THANK GOD you replaced Don Revie
You can now join your greatest servant in Heaven
R.I.P.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 247 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Hope this is ok UtJ - I've nicked your banner and done a desktop with it

Let me know if ok - if not please delete
SL

Post by SL »

Proper legend.

RIP
comeonyouirons
Location: On the march with Gold & Sullivan to the Olympic Stadium...

Post by comeonyouirons »

I am hoping we now sell out the Birmingham game. It would be what Ron deserves.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Ron was the manager when I started to go to Upton Park with my own mates (without grown ups). So he was the man that created the team that we all loved.

When he became the England manager we all felt real pride that OUR bloke had got the job.
irons4eva

Post by irons4eva »

RIP Mr Greenwood
irons4eva

Post by irons4eva »

my last post read r.i.p. mr greenwood , i would never deface a warm and glowing tribute to a grest man
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

It's funny the things that stick in your mind from your childhood. I've always remembered when I was a little kid on a camping holiday in the south of France with my mum and dad the day my dad told me that Ron Greenwood had to leave West ham because he'd been made England manager. I didn't really understand why he had to leave, because all I knew about football then was West Ham, but I can still picture in my mind's eye the exact scene on a beach in Frejus when I heard that news.

Together with his protege, John Lyall, Ron was one of the biggest reasons I was proud to be a West Ham fan when all the other kids in the playground were Liverpool.

Rest In Peace.