Ron Greenwood

A Forum in which to remember those KUMB members and other West Ham United family who have sadly left us.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Mr Moon

Post by Mr Moon »

Robbie wrote: Very well said that man! :thup:
Like he said! Ron Greenwood a real gentleman and football man. Proper respect surely a must. RIP Ron.
It's in the blood
Resident poet Laureate

Post by It's in the blood »

(Was) reply from Premier League, but this is the wrong Greenwood thread....
Ironskull

Post by Ironskull »

Rest in Peace Ron. Don't lament you Hammers fans, we all have to leave sooner or later. Your Ron Greenwood was all the good things sadi about him here and more. Celebrate his life and achievements, and do your best to live up to his memory.

RIP to a great and noble footballing man.
ghinzani

Post by ghinzani »

Propercharlie wrote:My Dad chose West Ham for me 40 years ago and he made a great choice. The proper way to play football is to attack with skill and intelligence and to show proper respect to your opponents, to yourself and to the game and its laws. That was Ron Greenwood's way and it should always be the West Ham way.

Rest in peace Mr West Ham.
Excellant first post mate, welcome. I thought we exemplified the Greenwood way of playing tonight, a fitting tribute to the great man and the sort of send off he would have loved I bet.
reo_coker20
One line wonder
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by reo_coker20 »

he would of been proud of the attacking football we played last night. well done west ham

and a great tribute to ron
steward205

a

Post by steward205 »

4everahammer wrote:Andy Gray on SS1 just said "It's a lack of respect on footballs behalf" that no ones taken part in a 1 minute silence. Normally i dont like him, but, well said Andy :thup:
And hes a jock
steward205

a

Post by steward205 »

We havent exactly coverded ourselves in glory, the programme didnt carry a meaningful tribute to him and wont do until the everton game thats 3 weeks away. :oops: :roll:
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

There's a good letter in the obituaries pages of The Times today.
Richard Dixon writes: Ron Greenwood (obituary, February 10) was among the finest football managers of his generation. His love of creative, attacking and attractive play nurtured the World Cup-winning trio of Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters.

At a decided lower level, he provided me as an enthusiastic but limited schoolboy defensive midfielder with a lesson in the elegant simplicity of the game. In the early 1970s our wonderful coach John Dutchman at Chigwell School, Essex, arranged for Ron to bring over a West Ham XI, an amalgam of apprentices and several seniors from FA Cup and European Cup Winners' Cup glory days, to torture the first team. To my surprise, the rotund, fiftyish Ron not only played but took up a forward position on the left touchline.

The ball repeatedly found its way to his feet. Ron was not especially mobile, but he crossed the ball with speed and penetration to a brilliant teenage striker, Ade Coker. We were duly Hammered 5-1. I learnt that day that you can be a bit paunchy, but talent, guile and brain will still out. It is an ever more comforting message as well as an illustration of why football is the beautiful game.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Not sure if done but I got a reply from the FA
Dear Michelle,

Thank you for contacting The Football Association. The decision to hold
a minutes silence is made by The Premier League and the individual
clubs.

However, there will be a minutes silence observed before the England V
Uruguay match.

I realise that this may not alleviate your concerns but hope this
clarifies our position.

Kind Regards,

Meg Hewitt
Customer Relations Unit
The Football Association
Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Gnome »

York Ham(mer) wrote:There's a good letter in the obituaries pages of The Times today.
Ok I have the paunch......... :lol: