Alan Curbishley

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Are you happy with the way West Ham play under Alan Curbishley?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:09 am

yes
54%
no
46%

Total votes: 885

Northern Paulo
Punster extraordinaire

Re: Alan Curbishley

Post by Northern Paulo »

I have to say that I’m still undecided about Curbishley. I would still regard him as a ‘safe’ manager who isn’t going to turn a team into world beaters, yet they’ll do just enough to generally keep out of danger which, to be fair, is what most supporters would hope initially. However, given the ever increasing ticket prices and costs for following your team, its understandable to an extent that supporters expectations will also increase, be it final league position or simply good old fashioned entertainment. We’ve seen precious little of the latter this season with West Ham so to try and put the former into context, we need to look at the performance of teams around us.

Man City have only won 4 games since Christmas including cup games (I think) yet have still finished 6 points above us. We were only 13 points away from a possible relegation spot yet 16 points off a 5th place finish. Newcastle, who were sh*te up until March, only finished 6 points behind us and Spurs, who have had a very poor season in the League, only 3 points behind us but with a far superior goal difference.

Watching football should be something which lights the fire in your belly and brings you out in goosebumps every time you set foot in the ground and at the end of the game you feel ecstatic or completely gutted at the result. I’ve not had that this season for the first time in years and I’ve even found myself half wanting us to be involved in the relegation battle in order to reignite that fire in my belly (rather than having to rely on the Tandoori on a Saturday night), knowing that we were never likely to be challenging for a European spot.

I really hope that Curbishley can set us on the right path next season but he has to sort out this injury list (which has been my main criticism all season) because that excuse is already wearing thin and also because it seems to be increasingly evident that we’re intent on lowering the wage bill which may also mean that we’re unlikely to be making the top signings that many of you are all hoping for. Next season will be much much harder in my opinion. Too many teams this year have been involved in the relegation struggle and I’m sure that they will be taking steps to avoid a similar scenario next season. We’ve got to stay ahead of them or we’ll drop like a stone. Is Curbishley the man to do it? I hope so, because we’ll not have a Tevez to help us.
Ells

Post by Ells »

I've been a season ticket holder at west ham since the year before we were relagated so along with the rest of you ive suffered alot the past few years and the stress has no doubt effected my heart even at my age!
Putting that aside this year can only be seen as a good season for West Ham United. Consilidating our league position may not be exciting but it has to be done to give us a base to push on (just look at Everton) and i'm not saying will be in Europe next year but I think an improvement will be made, not just league wise but performance wise aswell. With the likes of Deano getting into some form and an England call up and with the countless attacking players coming back next year i expect to see a free-flowing style in our play next year! Curbishly is probably the right man for the job next season..or atleast give him the chance of using a fully fit squad which he has bought in.
Bring on next season with an air of optimism around Upton Park! IRONS :crest:

*hopefully a decent first post. :D
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Curbishley gets the thumbs-up

* David Hytner
* The Guardian,
* Tuesday May 13 2008

This article appeared in the Guardian on Tuesday May 13 2008 on p5 of the Sport news & features section. It was last updated at 01:01 on May 13 2008.

Alan Curbishley will lead West Ham United next season after the board of directors pronounced itself satisfied with his efforts this time out. Curbishley took the club to a 10th-placed finish, above their rivals Tottenham Hotspur, and provided a season of stability after the desperate fight against relegation in 2006-07.

Although there has been frustration about the style of football, and a feeling in some quarters that the team ought to have kicked on more, the board, which met yesterday for six hours, accept that injuries had undermined their prospects.

Curbishley emerged from the meeting, chaired by the owner Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson, looking forward to a summer of fine-tuning and working with Gianluca Nani, the technical director who takes up his post next month. One of their first tasks will be to open talks with Dean Ashton, who has two years to run on his deal.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

davids cross wrote:Curbishley gets the thumbs-up

* David Hytner
* The Guardian,
* Tuesday May 13 2008

This article appeared in the Guardian on Tuesday May 13 2008 on p5 of the Sport news & features section. It was last updated at 01:01 on May 13 2008.

Alan Curbishley will lead West Ham United next season after the board of directors pronounced itself satisfied with his efforts this time out. Curbishley took the club to a 10th-placed finish, above their rivals T*ttenham Hotspur, and provided a season of stability after the desperate fight against relegation in 2006-07.

Although there has been frustration about the style of football, and a feeling in some quarters that the team ought to have kicked on more, the board, which met yesterday for six hours, accept that injuries had undermined their prospects.

Curbishley emerged from the meeting, chaired by the owner Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson, looking forward to a summer of fine-tuning and working with Gianluca Nani, the technical director who takes up his post next month. One of their first tasks will be to open talks with Dean Ashton, who has two years to run on his deal.
I think that should be believed as we knew there was a meeting explaining the Season on Monday & we should stop banging on about what we all personally think about Curbishley & support this Club & whoever is in charge of it for the coming Season, as it's 99.999% likely to be Curbs..
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

davids cross wrote:Curbishley gets the thumbs-up

* David Hytner
* The Guardian,
* Tuesday May 13 2008

Alan Curbishley will lead West Ham United next season after the board of directors pronounced itself satisfied with his efforts this time out. Curbishley took the club to a 10th-placed finish, above their rivals T*ttenham Hotspur, and provided a season of stability after the desperate fight against relegation in 2006-07.

Hopefully that's true, and if so good news. Now let's concentrate on improving for next season and get behind our manager.
gavind
Total likes: 1 like

Post by gavind »

Dannyboylister wrote:
He's had 2 jobs to do - Keep us up - DONE
- Steady the ship - DONE

He deserves to have a crack at the next level but I'm afraid to say that Newcastle syndrome has set in at this club where we believe we are something we are not. We haven't played good football since old saggy face and we don't have any divine right to expect europe but we demand good football and some demand europe. We all need a reality check.

All IMO of course :wink:
i make you right... wake up people!!
devonshire flu
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by devonshire flu »

Are you happy with the way West Ham play under Alan Curbishley?

How about another question: Would you have been happy with the way West Ham would have played under Sven, O'Neil, Moyes, Hughes, Fat Sam, or Grant?

All look to keep the game tight, keep their side organised, and win by the odd goal or two.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Well said Bob.....coming from the anti Curbs camp as you do (mostly) I hope some will follow your lead at least in the short term.

:thup:
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

devonshire flu wrote:Are you happy with the way West Ham play under Alan Curbishley?

How about another question: Would you have been happy with the way West Ham would have played under Sven, O'Neil, Moyes, Hughes, Fat Sam, or Grant?

All look to keep the game tight, keep their side organised, and win by the odd goal or two.
Man Utd (Ferguson) - 80 Goals
Arsenal (Wenger) - 74 Goals
Aston Villa (O'Neil) - 71 Goals
Chelsea (Grant) - 65 Goals
Liverpool (Benitez) - 67 Goals
Tottenham (Ramos) - 66 Goals
Middlesbrough (Southgate) - 57 Goals
Everton (Moyes) - 55 Goals
Blackburn (Hughes) - 50 Goals
Portsmouth (Redknapp) - 48 Goals
Birmingham (Mcleish) - 46 Goals
Man City (Sven) - 45 Goals
Newcastle (Keegan) - 45 Goals
West Ham (Curbishley) - 42 Goals
Reading (Coppell) - 41 Goals
Fulham (Hodgeson) - 38 Goals
Sunderland (Keane) - 36 Goals
Bolton (Megson) - 36 Goals
Wigan (Bruce) - 34 Goals
Derby (Jewell) - 20 Goals

So every manager you mentioned has this season seen their side score more goals than us? And all have comfortably scored more than us bar Man City.

Not sure what this proves. I'm just bored at work :lol:
Ells

Post by Ells »

devonshire flu wrote:Are you happy with the way West Ham play under Alan Curbishley?

Out of those choices i'd take O'neil and Svens approach to the game which are more attacking minded than ours. Villa ran us ragged at times on sunday due to O'neils tactics of getting his wingers involved and allowing them to stay as close to the byline as possible which is what West Ham lack sometimes. Citeh may have dipped recently but they play attractive football too, i think Curbs has done well though and has more often than not played the best football that the players he has put out can produce as we've lacked attacking options this year due to injuries.
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

Ells wrote:

Out of those choices i'd take O'neil and Svens approach to the game which are more attacking minded than ours.
I take it you didn't catch the games against City this year?
Ells

Post by Ells »

neilbob wrote: I take it you didn't catch the games against City this year?
Missed the first game of the season where we lost 2-0 and we failed to beat them this season, what does that tell you?
But generally throughout the season City have been a more attacking prospect than us.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Ells wrote:Missed the first game of the season where we lost 2-0 and we failed to beat them this season, what does that tell you?
To be fair that tells you nothing... we beat liverpool and man u once each this season, doesnt mean we are on par with them does it?
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

Ells wrote: we failed to beat them this season, what does that tell you?
what has that got to do with anything? You were talking about Sven being more attack minded than Curbishley, when watching the two games in January would surely have proven this theory to be horse poo.
Ells

Post by Ells »

westlondonhammer wrote: To be fair that tells you nothing... we beat liverpool and man u once each this season, doesnt mean we are on par with them does it?

your right it doesn't but City did do the double over Man Utd and only got a point from liverpool. I was saying that City offer a more attacking approach to their game than we do despite them only scoring a few more goals than us. They have more attacking flair players than we do thus creating a more attacking minded side.
Ells

Post by Ells »

neilbob wrote: what has that got to do with anything? You were talking about Sven being more attack minded than Curbishley, when watching the two games in January would surely have proven this theory to be horse poo.
that's only two games in january, i'm talking about over the season
Hammer Sandwich

Post by Hammer Sandwich »

Finally !.........Even if it is 11 months late ! :raver: :crest:
Big_Russ

Post by Big_Russ »

I'd welcome him back at the moment..... :cry:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

k-r-c wrote: Man Utd (Ferguson) - 80 Goals
Arsenal (Wenger) - 74 Goals
Aston Villa (O'Neil) - 71 Goals
Chelsea (Grant) - 65 Goals
Liverpool (Benitez) - 67 Goals
T*ttenham (Ramos) - 66 Goals
Middlesbrough (Southgate) - 57 Goals
Everton (Moyes) - 55 Goals
Blackburn (Hughes) - 50 Goals
Portsmouth (Redknapp) - 48 Goals
Birmingham (Mcleish) - 46 Goals
Man City (Sven) - 45 Goals
Newcastle (Keegan) - 45 Goals
West Ham (Curbishley) - 42 Goals
Reading (Coppell) - 41 Goals
Fulham (Hodgeson) - 38 Goals
Sunderland (Keane) - 36 Goals
Bolton (Megson) - 36 Goals
Wigan (Bruce) - 34 Goals
Derby (Jewell) - 20 Goals
13 clubs on that list . less than 2 years old , have changed Manager, some of them twice .

Which begs the question , why give contracts to managers longer than 2 years ?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

the pink palermo wrote:13 clubs on that list . less than 2 years old , have changed Manager, some of them twice .

Which begs the question , why give contracts to managers longer than 2 years ?
Cheers TPP, I got to vote on Curbs this time around :thup:

A lot is down to expectations, too many fans/owners think they have a divine right to be challeging the top spots, and do not give managers the time required to build the team up.

Shame we seem to be going down that road, used to give managers a bit of time to develop their squads. :cry:

Is it now so dependant on money that teams can no longer aford to get relegated?