Alan Curbishley

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Are you happy with the way West Ham play under Alan Curbishley?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:09 am

yes
54%
no
46%

Total votes: 885

Fishbone

Re: Alan Curbishley

Post by Fishbone »

Curbs got it tactically wrong again on Saturday or the players are not listening to his orders. No wonder Sears was isolated up front when all we was doing was lumping it upfield when they have Stubbs who is equally good as Upson in the air and Leacock who is another 6ft+ defender. Curbishley was let off the hook with Carlton's goal, although he will probably claim it as a Curbs masterclass in tactics.
Gavibe

Post by Gavibe »

Fionn Kiely wrote: It may be boring but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is true.
Yes its true and who does the buck stop with? The manager who overseas the whole physical side of the club, i.e. medical.
MintChocChip

Post by MintChocChip »

'ouston 'ammer wrote:MCC

injuries and the length of time those injured take to return to full fitness is i think the main issue here.

no he can't use it as an excuse any more. if he hasn't figured out how to fix it, he should have..

the players he signed who DID have a record of injuries continued in that vein.

those who didn't but did get injured seemed to have taken an eternity to get back. and then again some of those got injured immediately upon said return which begs the question did they come back too soon, or were they misdiagnosed as to the extent of the injury.

either way, even though many ((almost everyone it seems) is happy with our position they are:

not happy how we got here ~ team below us s***e upon s***e.
not happy with the performances ~ style/formation etc
the approach ~ i.e. going into a defensive formation when at that time being superior in game possession and not closing games out
the poor end of game performances ~ we let a goal lead slip away through poor defending
ten general malaise i.e. being 10th since november and not making head road

and just not liking curbishley in general !!

:lol:
I agree that injuries are the main issue here - that's way they are a valid excuse - they have completely dominated this whole season. Curbs can't just stop people getting injuries at the drop of a hat. It's been due to a combination a few injury prone players, a rather crap physio team and a considerable amount of bad luck. There's an investigation and overhaul of facilities happening this summer so they are obviously sorting it out. Yes, Curbs brought a few injury prone players and his physio staff in and is too blame to some extent, but the injury crisis has far exceeded those reasons. The fact that he is partly to blame doesn't mean that the injuries are not a valid excuse for under-performing and unexciting play.

Although I'm not saying that Curbs will ever play the most free-flowing, attacking football, the fact remains that if Dyer, Bellamy, Ashton, Faubert, Etherington, Ljungberg, Parker, etc could have played the majority of the season together we would have watched more exciting, faster football.

Having said that - I can't really do anything about you not like Curbs in general! :wink:
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

bleeding curbishley
Hammer&Wings

Post by Hammer&Wings »

davids cross wrote:Reading the papers this morning is depressing............even the journalists are calling West Ham fans fickle in their reports. We used to be supportive even when it was ****. Thats what stood us apart from Spuds and others, now we are exactly the same. :thdn: Curbs or no Cubs its the most depressing feeling to know we are not different anymore.
And how right they are,i was ashamed to be a West Ham supporter after listerning to those boo's.OK so we played ****,still got three points though,still sitting in tenth place,which after last year i'm dead happy with

I'm just waiting for the banner to get rolled out saying"We're not fickle,we just don't like you"just as the Villa did against O'Learey,just that they did have an excuess to do it as they were close to the bottom,we are not

Just because he's not dynamic or charismatic doesn't mean we can't get behind him

And as for that twit on talkshite saying the the supporters want Bilic and Di Canio,well your not speaking for me mate
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

MCC

i was talking about the two camps actually those who will give curbishley more time and those who want to see him gone.

if you read my posts in general, i have stated that i liked curbishley as a player and it was more because he had to compete against brooking for the same spot he never made it here. (in those days you picked your formation and plugged players in, you didn't make tactical changes to accommodate players ~ if that makes any sense at all).

i think he did do a bang up job at charlton but they were never going to move onwards no matter who was atthe helm.

i didn't want curbishley as our manager partly because i thought we wouldn't progress with him as our boss but mostly because i wanted away from "he's one of ours" scenario. i thought that the club needed a complete overhaul and we should get the best man for the job and not worry about his ties to our club.

that was going to be a tough task of course considering our position at the time.

he did nothing at the beginning of our run in (other than the won against manure but then again most teams who change managers in whichever sport) usually get a honeymoon period when wins come straight (except if your name is keegan).

i think he persevered too long with the same team that wasn't winning, fought as hard as he could NOT to play tevez and/or noble and when he had to, both he and day (see comments as to how they never saw the potential until they told him to play higher up the field ~ yes exactly as he does for his current club you mean ?) that he took of so to speak. a couple of dodgy officiating calls gave us more points that we should have against blackburn, a world class performance from robert green and some pretty inept finishing gave us 3 points at L'Arse or we would have gotten the drop long before that final miracle at old trafford.

so we could say that we stayed either because of curbishley or in spite of curbishley. my take is the latter.

as for the injury crisis, well we have entire threads on that so there is no point in going over that again is there.

i think again after another inept display on saturday against a team who will be relegated with the worst record of an team gracing the premiership, well even or reserve team "should have" beaten them into submission. they are not playing for their lives any more, were are playing to push on so we should have been more motivated than derby.

of course that is why we actually play games and we just don't write them on paper (everton playing fulham a few weeks back ?) but in all honesty the performance was dire.

i have also mentioned kudos for playing the kids. however, yet again was this a pre-selected team, or the fact that spector cried off as did upson (tomkins would NOT have started) or ashton with tonsillitis (sears might not start, maybe he would) so are kudos entirely warranted ??
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

I think..............blimey
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

dapablo wrote:I think..............blimey
would you prefer i wrote "fact' as none of those suppositions can be proven ...

or would "in my opinion" be better suited ?? because that's all they are.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

'ouston 'ammer wrote: would you prefer i wrote "fact' as none of those suppositions can be proven ...

or would "in my opinion" be better suited ?? because that's all they are.
Pistols at dawn Baby, Pistols at dawn.. :lol:
East Ham Irons

Post by East Ham Irons »

I have been up and down the country watching some "lets say pretty bad football" wigan away man city home to name a couple.I wont mention pompey
But who would'nt of been happy with a top ten finish and a league cup qtr final before the season started.
Lets all at least give curbs another season to see what he can do at least.We dont want to be another newcastle who chops and changes when they want.
The fans that keep chanting curbishley out ,dont seem to remember the injury crisis where would we of finished if bellamy,dyer,parker,ashton,faubert,parker etc been fit week in week out.
I know we all get frustrated but lets get behind curbs and the boys for the last 3 games and lets see what we can achieve next year.
Anyway who would replace him Billic ?? is he really a better man for the job than curbs i think not !!
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

East Ham Irons wrote:I have been up and down the country watching some "lets say pretty bad football" wigan away man city home to name a couple.I wont mention pompey
But who would'nt of been happy with a top ten finish and a league cup qtr final before the season started.
Lets all at least give curbs another season to see what he can do at least.We dont want to be another newcastle who chops and changes when they want.
The fans that keep chanting curbishley out ,dont seem to remember the injury crisis where would we of finished if bellamy,dyer,parker,ashton,faubert,parker etc been fit week in week out.
I know we all get frustrated but lets get behind curbs and the boys for the last 3 games and lets see what we can achieve next year.
Anyway who would replace him Billic ?? is he really a better man for the job than curbs i think not !!
You crazy Guys are killing me.. Headbanger

PS Who's the other Parker ?? :lol:
RM9

Post by RM9 »

East Ham Irons wrote:The fans that keep chanting curbishley out ,dont seem to remember the injury crisis where would we of finished if bellamy,dyer,parker,ashton,faubert,parker etc been fit week in week out.

What's the lottery numbers for Saturday?

We'll never know what a fully fit squad would be of been able to achieve this season.

Just to confirm that you can infact see into the future, you are predicting that Billic wouldn't be as good as Curbs!!

I must power up the De Lorean and buzz down the A13 at 88 MPH!
ironworks41

Post by ironworks41 »

The case against Alan Curbishley appears to be based on the following
His Tactics.The prosecution claim that his teams are defensive and boring..The defence would say tactics are devised over a period,pre season sets the tone,the players assembled play to a match plan,which is varied according to the opposition.Players train and rehearse for the upcoming game.If then the tactics have to be revised due to availability of personnel then things are going to get difficult.This year it seems that whatever happens in training goes by the board come Friday as yet another player bites the dust.This being the case Curbishley has managed by utilising those player available in a system that has bought us a top ten place.Yes boring,but whats the alternative.
His Transfers,been done to death,I was amazed we got anybody here in January.Who else would we have got in the summer given the s#### going on.Realistically who would have signed up for a club in turmoil?
His Charisma,or lack of it.Well the Press decided we were last years bad guys this year it's Cubishley's turn in the Black Hat,so lets all boo and hiss.Next year hopefully they will pick on someone else.Bruce, Keegan or Avrom Grant probably.
Injuries.Given that football seems to be played at an express speed it is likely that all Clubs will suffer more injury problems than ever.However it is how the problem is dealt with at West Ham that matters to me and thats where I am looking for improvement.
Foreign Players.I am glad to see that we have brought in some expertise,but to say Curbishley is less well informed on Foreign players than our posters is a bit presumptuous.Agents inundate Managers with Videos they make their money flogging their Clients to Clubs.
Lazy? Why ? How?
Some players don't like him.I don' t like everybody either.

I love West Ham,hate it when we lose or draw,look to blame everybody,used to be the ref,then the filthy way the opposition played,but have never blamed the manager or the players,have always thought they were doing their best whatever the outcome.
The fans are special, we are West Ham. Please do not lose it and become just another bunch of phone in plastics.
All is not lost,the Pat Lampard thread proves that,as does any thread when one of us loses someone.
COYI
devonshire flu
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by devonshire flu »

1. It was a long post, but I'm pretty much with NedN.

2. I'm a Bilic fan, but he's never bought or sold a player, and never won a PL match. Curbs has won 250-ish.

3. I've really enjoyed being stuck in 10th spot. No more nail biting, screaming at the kids for no reason,
going around with the entire PL table in my head trying to work out what effect Blackburn vs Fulham will
have on us, stuff like that. OK it's dull, but the last six seasons have put 26 years on me in terms of worry.

4. Lots of posters on here seem to think that Villa, Blackburn, Pompey, Newcastle, Spuds, Everton, Man City,
etc are going to sit around doing nothing so that we can finish 5th. We are in a very competitive league. Most
clubs that lose 12 players to injury get relegated. We've done OK.

5. Hats off to Curbs for keeping us up and then consolidating.
beex
Planet Of The Apes

Post by beex »

'ouston 'ammer wrote:i have also mentioned kudos for playing the kids. however, yet again was this a pre-selected team, or the fact that spector cried off as did upson (tomkins would NOT have started) or ashton with tonsillitis (sears might not start, maybe he would) so are kudos entirely warranted ??
ABSAFOOKINLOOTELY :thup: :clap: :crest:
IronsEnthusiast

Post by IronsEnthusiast »

East Ham Irons wrote:I have been up and down the country watching some "lets say pretty bad football" wigan away man city home to name a couple.I wont mention pompey
The thing is, why should Curbs be 'given more time'? I don't mean it as in sack the man, I mean it as in he shouldn't be in need of more time because he's fulfilled his objectives results wise since he's been here. Even I find myself saying I think he should get more time but actually I think it's quite insulting to the manager because it's as if that phrase suggests he's messed up and is lucky enough to get a second chance.
IronsEnthusiast

Post by IronsEnthusiast »

devonshire flu wrote:1. It was a long post, but I'm pretty much with NedN.

2. I'm a Bilic fan, but he's never bought or sold a player, and never won a PL match. Curbs has won 250-ish.

3. I've really enjoyed being stuck in 10th spot. No more nail biting, screaming at the kids for no reason,
going around with the entire PL table in my head trying to work out what effect Blackburn vs Fulham will
have on us, stuff like that. OK it's dull, but the last six seasons have put 26 years on me in terms of worry.

4. Lots of posters on here seem to think that Villa, Blackburn, Pompey, Newcastle, Spuds, Everton, Man City,
etc are going to sit around doing nothing so that we can finish 5th. We are in a very competitive league. Most
clubs that lose 12 players to injury get relegated. We've done OK.

5. Hats off to Curbs for keeping us up and then consolidating.
I'm with you. During the terrible runs we had last year I didn't so much think about the cup final the year before. What I thought about was the games against the likes of Birmingham where we won easily but could have lost and it wouldn't have particularly mattered. I craved being able to have those sorts of games again and thanks to Curbs we have them again.
devonshire flu
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by devonshire flu »

Curbs is often slated on here for his lack of attacking, flowing, entertaining tactics. There is a manager who has taken a team of unknowns to the top of a major league, playing 3-4-3 with his side going eyeballs out for goals for the entire 90 minutes. His team, River Plate, were top of the league after 9 games, scoring 37 goals and conceding 5.

Last Saturday, River played Nacional (who were 2nd in the table), and this happened:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, if you want the old roller-coaster West Ham back, the guy you want in charge is called Juan Ramón Carrasco.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

that's in south america mate.

no way we go 3 goals up and end up losing the er... er... er...

:oops: :oops:

:lol:
hammersfanjake

Post by hammersfanjake »

Curbs Out Bilic In :crest: