Alan Curbishley

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Are you happy with the way West Ham play under Alan Curbishley?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:09 am

yes
54%
no
46%

Total votes: 885

hammersi01

Re: Alan Curbishley

Post by hammersi01 »

goggles wrote: I know it does seem a bit strange :eh:
I think most of what Curbs says on the O/S is actually recycled from the press on the matchday. Wait till tommorow :lol:

Post by 1895 »

OLDUN wrote:Once again on the official website its Day talking about injuries ahead of Sundays game and not Curbs ,has he gone?
Here's hoping.

We deserve all the criticism in the world after saturdays performance. Yes Man Utd are a great side but we'd beaten them the 3 previous times and f*** all the crap about injuries, we've had them all season and decent clubs deal with it.

Curbishley should never have made those comments last week regarding Ferguson and where he hoped the title would end up and then gets his team to produce that gutless, prideless, useless, embarrassing performance.

Hang your head in shame Curbishley as you have dragged this clubs great name through the the **** in front of the nation.

Also grow some b*llocks and face the press you cheeky ****.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

curbishley tonights standard

Post by cockney hammer »

We've done really well considering injuries robbed us of so much pace and creativity - Hammers boss Curbs hits back at critics
Last updated at 18:25pm on 06.05.08

Alan Curbishley hit back today at his critics and urged them to have a sense of perspective after his team were thumped 4-1 by Manchester United.

• More Premier League news club by club

The West Ham manager is believed to be feeling increasingly worn down by the level of criticism for his team's results and the style of their play.

Curbishley feels that not enough allowances have been made for the awful injury problems which have plagued him from last summer and not enough credit has been given to the players who have stayed fit and helped West Ham to a respectable 10th spot.

He said: "It seems I'm also constantly having to answer this criticism of us being dull.

"First of all it should be said we stayed up last season and have gone to finish in mid-table this year. How bad is that?

"In the third week of pre-season we lost Julien Faubert and Scott Parker and by the third week of the season, Craig Bellamy, Kieron Dyer and Bobby Zamora.

"Four of those players were summer signings and with them went a lot of pace and creativity. Despite everything, the players who have stayed fit have put a shift in every week. I can't praise them too highly. Even at Old Trafford on Saturday they gave it all they could."

Curbishley was without 13 of his senior squad and he lost two more, Dean Ashton and Luis Boa-Morte, during the match.

"I've just got to get on with it," he added. "There should be some recognition of what we have gone through this season. Tell me how any Premier League clubs would have fared with the sort of problems we've had this season."

Curbishley also came under fire last week after he wrote in a newspaper column that he would "raise a glass" if United won the title.

He later explained those comments at length to Chelsea manager Avram Grant after Pat Lampard's funeral and has now drawn a line under what has been an uncomfortable few days for him.

West Ham may need to beat Aston Villa on Sunday if they are not to be overtaken by Tottenham to finish in the top ten but again will be depleted, though Anton Ferdinand could be fit following a hamstring injury.
Porfirio
Has liked: 1 like

Re: curbishley tonights standard

Post by Porfirio »

Have we had an injury problem this season? this is the first I've heard of it. It certainly hasn't been mentioned every week of the season, or at least not in the coverage that I've seen.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

cockney hammer wrote: He said: "It seems I'm also constantly having to answer this criticism of us being dull.

"First of all it should be said we stayed up last season and have gone to finish in mid-table this year. How bad is that?

"I've just got to get on with it," he added. "There should be some recognition of what we have gone through this season. Tell me how any Premier League clubs would have fared with the sort of problems we've had this season."

Exactly.
iloveyoudailly

Post by iloveyoudailly »

What I'm thinking is that Curbishley should have defender his style of play a little earlier, in a way which didn't look as if he was having a pop at the fans.
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

So whats going to be used it this article to have a bash at Curbs?

:think:
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

Change the record Curbishley.

You signed the ****ing Crocks.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

neilbob wrote:So whats going to be used it this article to have a bash at Curbs?

:think:
hornsey wrote:Change the record Curbishley.

You signed the f***ing Crocks.
People want explanations... but cant seem to handle them :lol:
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Explanations, not excuses :P
beex
Planet Of The Apes

Post by beex »

1895 wrote: Here's hoping.

We deserve all the criticism in the world after saturdays performance. Yes Man Utd are a great side but we'd beaten them the 3 previous times and f*** all the crap about injuries, we've had them all season and decent clubs deal with it.

Curbishley should never have made those comments last week regarding Ferguson and where he hoped the title would end up and then gets his team to produce that gutless, prideless, useless, embarrassing performance.

Hang your head in shame Curbishley as you have dragged this clubs great name through the the sh*t in front of the nation.

Also grow some b***ocks and face the press you cheeky c***.
:thup: Buy that man 24 pints of old foamy and get that c*&t Curbs out of my club.
He's killing it :crest:
best tever

Post by best tever »

its true though
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

If you took 16 players out of Man Utds starting lineup you would be left with:
GK Edwin van der Sar
DF Gary Neville (captain)
DF Patrice Evra
GK Ben Foster
MF Michael Carrick
MF Nani
DF Gerard Piqué
FW Dong Fangzhuo
DF John O'Shea
MF Darren Fletcher
DF Mikaël Silvestre
GK Tomasz Kuszczak
MF Chris Eagles
GK Tom Heaton
FW Danny Welbeck
DF Jonny Evans
MF Danny Simpson
FW Manucho

(the last three being on loan).

Put that squad out for 15 odd games in the prem and see what you get.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

about 12 wins, 2 losses and a draw..

:lol:
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

I know everyone is slagging curbs for signing injury prone players etc but the fact is the injuries we have had this season could have sent teams down, the only reason we are not in more trouble for me is Upson, Neill and Mccartney. Without these 3, who have played most games, I think we would have seen ourselves shipping quite a few goals every week. If you take on Average 10 injuries a week Bellamy, Zamora, Dyer, Faubert, Gabbs, Collins, Ethers, Parker, Bowyer and Ashton (playing some games but looking unfit) then:-

Arsenal would have 11 outfield players fit.
Villa - 10
Blackburn - 14
Everton - 15
Pompey - 11
Man City -13

Now a lot of those players have never played a prem game before. You may think we've been unlucky this season but I think the opposite, if the defence had been hit early in the season I think we may well be going into the last game with something to play for, for the second season running.

Lets look at the second half team Villa could have played against Man utd with our injuries.

----Carson-----

---Youth---Youth---Youth---Youth (6 defenders out)

------Youth---Osbourne---Stieber

Youth------------------------------------- Youth ( injured and subbed 2nd half)

Carew (injured and subbed 2nd half)
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

All these threads defending the fact we have managed well with such a high number of injuries all fail to see the point...........why should we have had to do well with squad players if we a) had bought players with better fitness records and injury histories and b) our backroom staff were worth a rub.

Yes we have exceded all expectations of playing a team which at times had over and above 11 players out, but what is irksome is that we needn't have been in this situation, and for me this is the most frustrating thing Curbishley's reign has brought us. Yes the boring football might be down to the lack of cohesion and the fact we rarely put out an unchanged side from game to game but ultimately the buck stops with the manager and the management team he has assembled around himself.

I'm happy with 10th or 11th, but am frankly underwhelmed at the style of football played - so do we want exciting, gutsy football and possible relegation fears or plod on and stay midtable?

****ed if I know :lol:
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

Clearly some of our signings have had probelms which could arguably have been dealt with better, but certainly some were going to be impossible to predict. Of the remaining players on the treatment table a fair chunk of them have been here longer than Curbs and a fair number of them have histories of the types of injury they are currently suffering.

I think it's just a little simplistic to blame the current management and backroom staff alone - the problems seem to run a bit deeper than that to me.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

neilbob wrote:Clearly some of our signings have had probelms which could arguably have been dealt with better, but certainly some were going to be impossible to predict. Of the remaining players on the treatment table a fair chunk of them have been here longer than Curbs and a fair number of them have histories of the types of injury they are currently suffering.

I think it's just a little simplistic to blame the current management and backroom staff alone - the problems seem to run a bit deeper than that to me.
Neil - a lot of the Curbs signings have been players that have had (to my knowledge) long histories of being injured. Dyer, Bellamy, Upson, Parker, Ljungberg in recent years. Bellamy has hardly featured all season. Parker and Ljungberg we have probably had half a season each. Upson missed the whole half of the season when we signed him in the transfer window, then had an exemplary record up until around March when a "back next week" calf injury has kept him out for six weeks. The Faubert injury was obviously hugely unlucky.

We clearly have been unlucky this season, but the manager has to shoulder his share of the blame. If you buy players with long track records of being injured, you don't really get the right to complain when they do get injured.
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

I'm not absolving Curbs of blame - I just think it's too simplistic to blame him for every injury. Bellamy to my knowledge hasn't ever been injury prone, and if you're happy to take Fauberts injury as bad luck then surely Dyers must be as well - a long injury record won't suggest a broken leg to a bad tackle unless the player has osteoperosis. Upson as you say has played the majority of this season, so I don't think it's really fair to count last seasons problems in with this seasons, which leaves Scotty and Freddie.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

I think we also need to look at the position we were in at the end of last season compared to now. I know the football has been dull, Curbs signed injury prone players, the backroom are ****, we know all of this, but the aim of everyone on here at the beginning of the season was a nice, steady midtable season and that is what we have had.

Fact is we have lost Dyer, Bellamy and Faubert for the whole season, not 5 games here and there but more or less the whole season. Faubert would have been expected to be fit all season but Dyer, Bellamy and Parker would have been expected to play 20 games at least, maybe they would pick up the odd niggle but not the long term stuff they have had. Parker has played 10 full games this season, Dyer 2 and Bellamy 4. You don't predict that, for the past 3 or 4 seasons each of those players have played 15+ at least.