Alan Curbishley

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Are you happy with the way West Ham play under Alan Curbishley?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:09 am

yes
54%
no
46%

Total votes: 885

Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Re: Alan Curbishley

Post by Larry »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:[I just hope the next move they make is equally as good because he most definatly is NOT the Man if we want to advance from 10th position..

I suspect the popular choice amongst fans me included would be Slavan Billic- how ever I'm not all together sure this obsession that we have that the new manager has "to be an ex- West Ham player" has always been good for the club. Personaly I think it can work against us the appointment of an ex player seems to be an excercise in appeasing the fans and that may be we need to go for a manager withabsoloutly no links to the club at all.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Yesterday was bang out of order. Why would anyone want to manage our club after the treatment of our present manger by our 'fans'?
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

Has anyone noticed if BG has been home games lately ,i cant see from where i am in the ground because if he has i wonder what his take on things are?
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

OLDUN wrote:Has anyone noticed if BG has been home games lately ,i cant see from where i am in the ground because if he has i wonder what his take on things are?
He was there yesterday. I saw him arrive in his £100k Merc.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

Did the "You dont know what your doing" start from him then?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Fionn Kiely wrote:Yesterday was bang out of order. Why would anyone want to manage our club after the treatment of our present manger by our 'fans'?
Manage? I'd think twice about playing!
SirTrev
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by SirTrev »

Yesterday was awful with the way the fans give curbs and co stick.

In my opinion its just a case of how dissapointed we are with this season.

Not that 10th isn't a good finish, in fact its exaclty what the doctor ordered after last season, but we had the promise and potential for so much more.

From the outing from the league cup at the hands of Everton, then the FA cup at Man City to the fact we have struggled against bolton(H and A), sunderland(A), wigan(H and A), birmingham(H) and put in such piss poor displays against, Man city (H), chelsea (H), yidscum (A), portsmouth(H), Newcastle(A) etc. etc. (not in any particular order of course gents!)

We have been served up dull, boring, unattractive football for the vast majority of the season, and all this following the promising signings of Upson, Neill, 5 million quids worth of Boa Morte(not so promising) and then Bellamy, dyer, parker, faubert and Ljungberg in the summer.

Fair enough we have suffered badly with injuries (big question is why? faubert and dyer being the only excusable injuries) but this only leads to more frustration, why are we getting muscle injury after muscle injury, and seaminly inconspicous injuries are taking months to recover from.

Our season has never got started (only on one occasion this season have we won 2 games on the trot, SHOCKING!!) the fact that we were within touching distance of a top six finish was a miricle but just a decent end of season push and we may be contemplating europe next year.

Instead we got more dull, boring, unattractive football with inconsistant results. For this the buck is stopping with Curbs for a lot of fans, they pay their money (and rumours have it 5% more next year) to watch tripe and us winning(occasionally) ugly. They have every right to vent that frustration, and to some extent it is to be expected.

But we are going to finish mid-table, and providing we sign a few flair players and sort out our atrocious injury record we should do alright next season.

I'll be renewing my season ticket next season(and pay the extra), in anticipation that (under curbs) we'll start playing decent football and picking up the results we have been unable to get this year

:crest: COME ON YOU IRONS :crest:
pantsil_legend

Post by pantsil_legend »

Sorry if this has already been said but I think that Curbishly wanted us to play prominently on the counter attack this season and that has been screwed up by injuries. Instead of replacing Yossi we signed Faubert so we could attack on the wings after the play was broken down (presumerably by Parker) and then Bellamy uses his pace and finishing to score. Without Faubert, Etherington and Bellamy we are unable to do this at pace and therefore require creativity which, with Dyer injured, we don't have. Consequently we have no-one fast up front to run on to Ashton's knock-ons and we never really look like scoring. Without creativity through midfield we lauch the ball at Ashton's head which isn't how he plays.
So essentially we need all our players fit or a new creative central midfielder and then I think Alan's tactics will seem better and there will be more West Ham football. However, the former option (fit team) may well be extremely unlikely, if not purely theoretical in my opinion.
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

SirTrev wrote:Yesterday was awful with the way the fans give curbs and co stick.

In my opinion its just a case of how dissapointed we are with this season.

Not that 10th isn't a good finish, in fact its exaclty what the doctor ordered after last season, but we had the promise and potential for so much more.

:
also we look back a couple of months and we had a real chance of nicking a Uefa cup spot for next season, you would think this would be a big motivator yet both Curbishley and the players just seem to of given up once safety was assured.
harlow boy

Post by harlow boy »

does anybody know how long curbishleys contract is? - i think it is 2 and a half years? :thup: :crest:
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Wasn't it a two and half year contract?
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

harlow boy wrote:does anybody know how long curbishleys contract is? - i think it is 2 and a half years? :thup: :crest:

Got another 5 to run on it mate and word is the club are going to let him.

HTH :thup:
Gavibe

Post by Gavibe »

"I just think that there's a lack of appreciation of what has happened here. I can't keep going on about how many times we've suffered injuries, key players are missing and that the players that have been playing have done fantastically well."

I think people can appreciate theinjuries of Dyer andFaubert, freak injuries but the constant strain injuries are ridiculous. I am not an Alan knocker but he can't keep using this excuse and it is only now that we have decided to do something. Pardew for his faults was brilliant at keping players fit, why did we loose the "sports science team" he employed? which itself was a direct response to injuries suffered the season before, mainly to Ethers.
This Roehampton team is here to overhaul the methods, but I am sorry we are a top sports team in a multi-million pound league, it is the physio team who need overhauling.

Frankly this constant excuse of players coming in and dropping out is thouroughly boring much the way the team has bored me this year. I hate to say but I have felt ashamed of some of our performances this season. Yeah we beat Derby, great, well done to the younsters its a good experience for them and will only help thier games, the booing is bad but I can really empathise with the frustration!

Can we please sort the medical team out and please please can we sign a creative player in the summer, the fans demand it as they did last summer.

Argh!!!!
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Gavibe wrote: Frankly this constant excuse of players coming in and dropping out is thouroughly boring much the way the team has bored me this year. I hate to say but I have felt ashamed of some of our performances this season. Yeah we beat Derby, great, well done to the younsters its a good experience for them and will only help thier games, the booing is bad but I can really empathise with the frustration!

Can we please sort the medical team out and please please can we sign a creative player in the summer, the fans demand it as they did last summer.

Argh!!!!
It may be boring but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is true.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

our injury "crisis" and the length of time it takes to recover, should be an episode for the "X Files"

imvho

:lol:
MintChocChip

Post by MintChocChip »

I agree with Curbs on this one. There needs to be a bit more realism from some of the fans. I really think it's this simple...

The first season he came in to keep us up - he achieved that.

The second season we needed a safe season with a top 10 finish - he's achieved that.

Next season the fans, the board and Curbs himself will be looking for a top 8 - 6 finish. If he fails to achieve that, then we should start talking about replacing him. Until then we should support him and the team. We are "supporters" after all.

Also, people say Curbs can't keep using the injuries as an excuse. Well why not?! If we could have put out the following team on a regular basis our games, results and style of football would be radically different.

Green
Neill, Upson, Ferdinand, McCartney
Faubert, Dyer, Parker, Etherington
Ashton, Bellamy

With the overhaul of facilities, a few new foreign players via Nani and the return of Bellamy and Dyer I think next season could be great. Of course things might go wrong, but until they do let's get behind the manager.

:crest:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

MCC

injuries and the length of time those injured take to return to full fitness is i think the main issue here.

no he can't use it as an excuse any more. if he hasn't figured out how to fix it, he should have..

the players he signed who DID have a record of injuries continued in that vein.

those who didn't but did get injured seemed to have taken an eternity to get back. and then again some of those got injured immediately upon said return which begs the question did they come back too soon, or were they misdiagnosed as to the extent of the injury.

either way, even though many ((almost everyone it seems) is happy with our position they are:

not happy how we got here ~ team below us ***** upon *****.
not happy with the performances ~ style/formation etc
the approach ~ i.e. going into a defensive formation when at that time being superior in game possession and not closing games out
the poor end of game performances ~ we let a goal lead slip away through poor defending
ten general malaise i.e. being 10th since november and not making head road

and just not liking curbishley in general !!

:lol:
NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by NedN »

I don't particularly like curbs. I don't like some of his decisions, the way he sometimes plays, etc. However, as a fan, while he is in charge of our club and doing a half decent job, I'm going to fully support him.

We seem to be forgetting something though. The money we pay to go to games is just that. It's a fee to see a premier league game. I can understand booing if you feel as if you're not getting your money's worth because the club is doing something seriously wrong. However, when you purchase that ticket, you are not buying an assurance that you will see a wonderful game and a glorious win for the Hammers. You're buying an opportunity to stand by your club and support them as they fight to get as many points as possible. We seem to forget this, as shown by the fact that every time something doesn't go the way we would like it we complain and/or boo. I'm sorry that your money on saturday didn't get you a 4-0 win against derby, but it did get you a win. If you're going to sit and mope around upton park because the team doesn't play as well as you think they should have, then why buy the ticket. Maybe when we sell them we should put a disclaimer on our tickets: "Warning, this ticket may result in a game that you could see as a disappointment."

But think about it, we go to games as opposed to staying at home or watching the game in a pub for the atmosphere, and the opportunity to be part of something. The chance to passionately support the club. It's a right reserved for people who buy the ticket. It doesn't get you a win, but it gives you a chance to be part of the game. Will your singing of "bubbles" make a difference? Teams tend to do better at home because it is where they feel comfortable; they sleep in their own beds, change in their own dressing rooms, and play in front of their fans. We may not have such a huge impact that we are like a 12th man on the pitch, but our support is something, and as a fan, I'd like to think that my support coupled with that of thousands of others can, in some way, help my team. We can not control the outcome of the game, but through showing our support we can make it easier on our team, and in this way we are making a difference. When you pay to go to a game, you are paying to be part of it, to be part of the roaring atmosphere that makes playing at upton park an advantage for our boys.

Now it seems like we're starting to lose this. Constant negativity, booing after a win, criticizing managerial decisions when they are made without waiting to see how they play out. These are things that are starting to grow at our ground now, and they aren't behaviors which a fan should display. I'm not saying discontent or showing discontent is bad. However, there's a difference between justified displays of discontent, and booing whenever you don't win the right way, or showing disapproval for a substitution or tactic before you see how it plays out, etc. None of us started supporting West Ham because the club wins a lot of trophies or regularly competes for the league title or always finishes high up in the league. Why is it that now when our manager is not putting us in a position where we are not doing these things we are so furiously angry and shouting for his head? The position we are in shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, we all figured that we would probably finish around 8th-11 and all accepted that at the beginning of the year. However for some reason it now infuriates us.

My point here is, whether you approve or disapprove of curbs, if you are a fan, if you are paying to go to games, support him as long as he is in charge. Complain about a bad decision he made later after the game. Complain about the team's performance after the game, but while you are at the game show your support. You're paying for the ticket to do this, to support the club, not to watch a win in which everything plays out exactly the way you want it to. If you want things to go your way and you want to be assured that you will be entertained, by all means, don't buy tickets to attend a football game, go see a movie or something. If you want to watch sport but are going to moan and groan and not show support if the game doesn't turn out how you would like it to, then by all means don't go, you'll save a lot more money if you watch it at home or in a pub, and the view is often better as well. You pay the extra money because you love the club and wish to be a part of the game with your support. Remember that.

Finally, we talk about transfers and the players we want to bring here. For managers and players moving to a club, yes, money is what's most important, but when similar deals are offered, the fans do come into play. That was what made us an attractive club for some, as fans we are passionate and support the team loudly and proudly. We are starting to move away from this. At games, as we moan and groan and find a way to complain about everything and start to show more and more discontent, lack of trust in curbs and the team, and anger whenever we don't get our way, etc, we are starting to make ourselves look less like the reputed passionate fans that support their club with vigor over land and sea through the tough times.

We'd all love to manage West Ham, and we all think we would know how to. But right now, I wouldn't like to be curbs as every time something goes wrong people turn against him, criticize him, boo him, etc. Yes, he is at fault for a lot of our "troubles" this year, I'm not going to try to defend his every decision because he's made a lot of mistakes. But if I'm at a game I'm going to show support for him. We need to look at ourselves and look at West Ham as a club. If the board felt Curbs wasn't living up to expectations, was messing everything up, and wasn't taking us to the position in the league that they thought we should be at, he would be gone. If you want to complain about something, complain about the board not showing enough ambition right off the bat, complain about how the board hasn't sacked curbs yet and replaced him with whoever. Because look, if we keep going to the game and buying tickets, the board isn't going to care whether or not we like curbs. A bunch of fans saying they don't like him or showing discontent at his decisions isn't going to impact the board's decision to sack him or keep him so long as these fans and others come back to the next home game. If the team wasn't doing well and some thousands of fans booed curbs one game and then didn't show up to the next game and instead stood outside the stadium holding signs that say I don't approve of Curbs, that could influence a board decision about his future, but until we start doing that, there's the assumption that we still will support him and the club. So if you're going to the games you may as well support him and not boo his decisions right off the bat. Your attendance is already a sort of show of silent support, so you may as well try to contribute to a positive upbeat atmosphere at the ground and not a negative mopey one.
Cadenza

Post by Cadenza »

Having watched and been entertained by Arsenal vs Reading, watching passes come together, with fluid attacking play... then looking forward to watching West Ham score a few pass Derby afterwards...

I can only conclude..

We played crap, could put together only one or two passes together and were lacking any sort of attacking flair in the slightest.

Slightly controversially, we seem to have one of the more narrow pitches around, do you reckon if we made it wider we might encourage our wingers to do a bit more??
hongkonghammer

Post by hongkonghammer »

Top post NedN :thup:

I keep coming on here and all I see is whining posts about a team who last year stayed up in the most incredible way on record and have now stabilised to a mid table team. Yes some of the performances have been woeful recently, but what do you expect from a team that is full of players either coming back from injury or carrying knocks. A large proportion of posters on here were calling for Sears and Tomkins to start and then they both get coated at the weekend for misplaced passes or mistakes.

I was always proud to be a Hammer due to our support and our traditions of bringing our own players through the ranks. However both of these are being slowly eroded and not by Curbs. The supporters performance on Saturday was the ultimate embarrassment. We are not Spuds, Newcastle or fly by night Chelski and I wish those fans who were booing at the end of a win and singing "you don't know what you're doing" have a long look at themselves and f*@k to a Manure or Chelski in their hopes of chasing glory and Spuds if they want to coat their team off every week.

Give me my West Ham back please :crest: