PL Trial Verdict: £5.5m fine, no pts deducted, Tevez safe

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

alexbox

PL Trial Verdict: £5.5m fine, no pts deducted, Tevez safe

Post by alexbox »

West Ham set for transfer hearing

Mascherano has since moved to Liverpool
West Ham will begin their defence against charges relating to the signings of Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano on Thursday.
If found guilty, the Premiership strugglers face a maximum penalty of a points deduction.

They are accused of acted improperly and withholding vital documentation.

Tevez and Mascherano were part-owned by Media Sports Investment, the company formerly run by Iranian-born businessman Kia Joorabchian.

The Premier League charges, issued on 3 February, read: "It is the board's complaint that there were agreements in relation to both these transfers that enabled third parties to acquire the ability materially to influence the club's policies and/or the performance of its teams.

"Furthermore at the time of the transfer agreements for both Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano, and until 24 January 2007, West Ham failed to disclose the third-party agreements to the Premier League and/or deliberately withheld these agreements from the Premier League."

The transfers were negotiated by former chairman Terence Brown and managing director Paul Aldridge, both of whom have left since the takeover by current chairman Eggert Magnusson.

Magnusson has already indicated he would never have agreed to the terms of the deal negotiated by Brown and Aldridge and the new regime will consider legal action if the judgement goes against West Ham.

However, the club's legal advice is that they will be able to demonstrate to the three-man panel that MSI had no influence over the club.

They will argue that Mascherano made only three appearances for West Ham before being transferred to Liverpool in January, while Joorabchian failed with a bid to buy the club.

West Ham are three points from safety heading into a vital game with fellow strugglers Wigan at the JJB Stadium on Saturday.

Whats the verdict gonna be?
Last edited by alexbox on Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Been postponed hasnt it?
alexbox

Post by alexbox »

not that i know of
Hugh Jargon (Old)
Location: The Isle of Lesbos, Cuba- Tottenham redondo corriente con el pene que cuelga fuera

Post by Hugh Jargon (Old) »

Been adjourned until Friday. It's a big fine I reckon.
alexbox

Post by alexbox »

we'd be lucky if we could just get away with a fine and not a points deduction...
Cambs Iron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Cambs Iron »

alexbox wrote:we'd be lucky if we could just get away with a fine and not a points deduction...
I would be delighted. Wouldn't Brown have to pay the fine or part of it?
Last edited by Cambs Iron on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Adjourned? :?
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

West Ham's hearing regarding charges relating to the signings of Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano has been adjourned until Friday.
Representatives from the club, including chairman Eggert Magnusson, and from the Premier League attended the hearing in London on Thursday.

The hearing broke up around lunchtime but proceedings are expected to be concluded on Friday.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Cambs Iron wrote: I would be delighted. Wouldn't Brown have to pay the fine or part of it?
We'll appeal, on the basis of it being Brown's fault, and when the appeal gets turned down I would expect Magnusson to consider suing Brown for the fine money.
alexbox

Post by alexbox »

Cambs Iron wrote: I would be delighted. Wouldn't Brown have to pay the fine or part of it?
yeh he should

fink sp*rs got away with it once because the charges took place under a previous owner or sumin
Last edited by alexbox on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

alexbox

Post by alexbox »

the jist of it

HAMMERS HEARING ADJOURNED
West Ham's hearing into Premier League charges relating to the signings of
Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano has been adjourned until tomorrow.
The Hammers are accused of breaking the rule which forbids the ownership of
players by a third party and of failing to provide correct documentation.
Representatives from the club, including chairman Eggert Magnusson, and those
from the Premier League attended the hearing at a neutral venue in London this
morning.
However, the hearing broke up around lunchtime with all parties leaving to
return again tomorrow, when proceedings are expected to be concluded.
Premier League spokesman Dan Johnson told Sky Sports News: "The process is
ongoing and has been adjourned until tomorrow morning."
The maximum penalty if West Ham are found guilty is a points deduction, which
could all but confirm their relegation from the Premiership.
end
SL

Post by SL »

We'll get a fine imo.

If Chelski only got a fine for the Ashley Cole saga then I cant see us getting a points deduction for this.
Quest

Post by Quest »

SL wrote:We'll get a fine imo.

If Chelski only got a fine for the Ashley Cole saga then I cant see us getting a points deduction for this.
Third party ownership and the potential to influence team performance undermines the league itself and is much more serious than the Cole situation I think. They will want to stamp on it and make us an example.

Having said that a points deduction now would undermine the league as well since it would have an impact on other clubs. I think, if we lose, one season out of the FA Cup, or points deducted for the next season in the Prem plus a fine.

Still has to be proved they influenced the teams performance though.

The non-disclosure of documents will just be a fine I am sure.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

fine + suspended points deduction at worst imo
Hammer&Wings

Post by Hammer&Wings »

alexbox wrote:we'd be lucky if we could just get away with a fine and not a points deduction...

and you can just imagine the **** that Wigan,Charlton,Fulham and Sheffield are going to kick up if we don't
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

sorry, silly question but does adjournement mean that all evidence has been presented, hearings heard etc and they are now going away to decide on it, or does it mean its been postponed for some reason and will now happen on friday?

i think with it being so close to the end of season it should have waited until after, but i suppose with the risk of points being deducted it would be even worse to keep everyone hanging on not knowing whats happening!
esp if we do enough to stay up!
uctpa08

Post by uctpa08 »

Quest wrote: Third party ownership and the potential to influence team performance undermines the league itself and is much more serious than the Cole situation I think. They will want to stamp on it and make us an example.
Where's your evidence that there was any influence over team performance? None of the players actually played. If we broke the rules, we certainly didn't benefit in any way from it.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Matt wrote: We'll appeal, on the basis of it being Brown's fault, and when the appeal gets turned down I would expect Magnusson to consider suing Brown for the fine money.
Spot on

As the current owners played no part in the dodgy dealings (and from what we've seen so far, would have had nothing whatsoever to do with Kia Charlatan and his shady partners), surely it's only right and fair that any punishment should be paid for by Brown.

I can't imagine Brown will volunteer to pay the fine, so suing the slimy scumbag has to be the way to go

As for points deductions, I'd be surprised if anything is imposed this season, but then again I'm hardly an expert in these sort of things
alexbox

Post by alexbox »

Hammer&Wings wrote:
and you can just imagine the sh*t that Wigan,Charlton,Fulham and Sheffield are going to kick up if we don't
yup.. i look 4ward to it :lol:
Last edited by alexbox on Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.