West Ham United 3 Bolton 1 (05/05/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammer_sandwich

Post by hammer_sandwich »

Retrospectively, I honestly think that perversely, the best thing that happened to us was losing to Spurs. At that point, we were so down it gave us the freedom to play without fear. Yes, the linesmans decision v Blackburn was massive but for the first time in ages we actaully played football that day. Also, the Tottenham defeat made Curbishley realise that even if we were going down, which at that point we surely were, the fact is/was that for us to have any chance whatsoever we had to play Noble and Tevez. Make no mistake, I was a big detractor of Curbishley a few short weeks ago. The truth is, whether we survive or not, that I was wrong about Curbishley. He has done a fantastic job and I now appreciate how hard it obviously was when he first came in. There are some things I wasn't wrong about, ie Green, Noble and Tevez should start every game. I also wasn't wrong about Mascherano being on a different stratosphere to the likes of Mullins, Dailly, Quashie etc which I think Mascherano has now proved whilst at Liverpool. West Ham are now in a position that was unthinkable after Charlton. Ie that we're out of the bottom three with a game to go. If we survive, which I actually think now that we might, it will be an astonishing achievement.

Personally I think we should move heaven and earth to keep Carlos Tevez and should we do the 'unthinkable' and stay in the premiership there is one hell of a team to be built around the likes of Green, Neill, Collins, Upson, McCartney, Benayoun, Noble, Tevez and Ashton. It wouldn't surprise me if NRC, should we survive, came out and said I want to stay. NRC was superb today and believe me, I am not a fan of what happened earlier in the season nor a fan of NRC in light of his agents behaviour in the transfer window which NRC didn't chastise. I have no doubt that NRC, should we survive, would like to stay at West Ham cos we would be going places but I remember how he acted earlier in the season when he was a disgrace as West Ham captain.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

hammer_sandwich wrote:Retrospectively, I honestly think that perversely, the best thing that happened to us was losing to Sp*rs. At that point, we were so down it gave us the freedom to play without fear. Yes, the linesmans decision v Blackburn was massive but for the first time in ages we actaully played football that day. Also, the T*tenham defeat made Curbishley realise that even if we were going down, which at that point we surely were, the fact is/was that for us to have any chance whatsoever we had to play Noble and Tevez. Make no mistake, I was a big detractor of Curbishley a few short weeks ago. The truth is, whether we survive or not, that I was wrong about Curbishley. He has done a fantastic job and I now appreciate how hard it obviously was when he first came in. There are some things I wasn't wrong about, ie Green, Noble and Tevez should start every game. I also wasn't wrong about Mascherano being on a different stratosphere to the likes of Mullins, Dailly, Quashie etc which I think Mascherano has now proved whilst at Liverpool. West Ham are now in a position that was unthinkable after Charlton. Ie that we're out of the bottom three with a game to go. If we survive, which I actually think now that we might, it will be an astonishing achievement.

Personally I think we should move heaven and earth to keep Carlos Tevez and should we do the 'unthinkable' and stay in the premiership there is one hell of a team to be built around the likes of Green, Neill, Collins, Upson, McCartney, Benayoun, Noble, Tevez and Ashton. It wouldn't surprise me if NRC, should we survive, came out and said I want to stay. NRC was superb today and believe me, I am not a fan of what happened earlier in the season nor a fan of NRC in light of his agents behaviour in the transfer window which NRC didn't chastise. I have no doubt that NRC, should we survive, would like to stay at West Ham cos we would be going places but I remember how he acted earlier in the season when he was a disgrace as West Ham captain.
Good post !!
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

I'm horrendously hungover, I vaguely remember narrowly avoiding getting the **** kicked out of me last night and I think I was sick in the taxi.

But it was ****ing worth it. Great performance from everyone. If we play like that at OT we can get a point. And that would be it.

COME ON YOU IRONS!
If only....
Location: Wondering why WHU is not on the thrillseekers list of the most extreme rollercoasters

Post by If only.... »

Ivelookedeverywhere wrote:who was the bloke Tevez was gesturing towards after he scored the free kick? backroom staff or player?
Club Physio - Steve Allen, I think the name is.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote:I'm horrendously hungover, I vaguely remember narrowly avoiding getting the sh*t kicked out of me last night and I think I was sick in the taxi.

But it was f*cking worth it. Great performance from everyone. If we play like that at OT we can get a point. And that would be it.

COME ON YOU IRONS!
I'm very confused by one part of this post - the time it was made...

I was more than merry last night too, but still up at 0648? You sir are hard core...
:D
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

What a fantastic day.

We went straight at Bolton from the very start and took them apart in the 1st half. We played some brilliant fast attacking football.

Tevez was my MOTM. Genius.

Every single player was up for the game. Noble was once again fantastic in the middle with Reo-Coker. Zamora put in 100% again and just never stopped working. Collins was on top of his game as was the rest of the back four to be honest. Boa Morte is starting to show why we brought him. Great vision from him to set up Tevez for the 2nd goal.

We've got the hardest game next week so it's not over yet.

We've got a real chance now of staying up. As Curbs said after the game the question now is can we take it?
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

I was wrong.