LC4: Coventry 1 West Ham Utd 2 (30/10/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Village Hammer

Post by Village Hammer »

Anyone got a link for the goals? Missed the game and want to see LBM's wonder strike.

Ta.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

just back. 2 hours from car park to door..champion

what a horrible game...I cant recall so many hammers who were so quiet(at times) as there was so little to shout about.

we were all over the place, throughout the game..no midfield, ah dont get me started.

happy as a pig in poo... the "road to wembley " will show a win away to coventry, thats all i care about for now.

bring on the blades!
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

Mears wrote:Can't believe we've picked up 3 new injuries though, it's unbelievable. How can we be so unlucky?
this has nothing to do with luck - we should get rid of the backroom staff - physios, coaches, 'sport science' 'experts' & doctors asap before they cripple all our players. oh, and the manager and his assistants should go too. f@ckin' idiots :x
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 828 likes
Total likes: 1963 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Just back too - thought we were in reasonable voice all told. Singing their stupid "goal celebration" back to their piss poor support was the highlight though.

I am still baffled by the swap of Spector for Mullins. Was Hayden injured?

Some of the team played (if that's the right word) as if they knew they couldn't be subbed. Hang yr heads in shame Etherington and LBM. It looked to me as if LBM's goal was deflected in as well.

Thank god for Carlton. Did his job tirelessly and deserved the winner just for the sheer effort involved in getting pushed and pulled all over the shop.

Bowyer showed a touch of skill now and then, but this really was a game where we let ourselves drop to the level of a very poor Coventry side.

Very shoddy refereeing too. Half of the game was so stop and start we could have been watching American Football.

Onto victory! I'd welcome another away game, all told. At least we drum up a bit of atmosphere then.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

prophet:marginal wrote:Just back too - thought we were in reasonable voice all told. Singing their stupid "goal celebration" back to their piss poor support was the highlight though.
I could vaguely hear a chant with the words 'your manager' through the TV. Any Dowie-related comedy?
I am still baffled by the swap of Spector for Mullins. Was Hayden injured?
Yes, apparently.
It looked to me as if LBM's goal was deflected in as well.
Yep, twice. :lol:
Claretandblueyank
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Claretandblueyank »

davids cross wrote: And we beat the team who beat Man Utd......so I reckon we have won the World Cup.

:lol:
again :wink:

We hazarded a couple of "Dowieeeeee! Yr an ugly c***!"s

+4000 on the road tonight. Everyone standing throughout the game.

Its a well built stadium - seemed to keep the noise in. I thought at the beginning of the 2nd half it got a bit quiet, but, as ever, the travellers did us proud.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

i just finished watching on tele as i had to work. We were pretty poor, but i thought we were still comfortable. We have some injuries which don't help and we lack a bit of flair and creativity. Carlton is good when people hoof the ball the ball forward, but we did it way too much and Boa Morte didn't really have a good understanding with Carlton. They were both jumping for the same ball and not really working off each other. We had our moments but then i never expected an easy game, championship teams have no pressure and nothing to lose so always have a go. Its better to be playing poor and win the match rather than lose and play in style. You cant win every match playing glamorous football, its good we have a side who can dig deep and grind a result.

I thought Cole and upson were our best players. Cole worked hard and finally got a goal for his efforts. Upson just seemed calm, composed and just did his job.

Mr Ferdinand...the jury is still out for me...still very sloppy
mansfields1964

Post by mansfields1964 »

I was impressed by the lack of hassle by the stewards, allowing standing throughout - our lot should learn that we can handle it at home too.

I thought the stadium was good for noise, view, access, catering (did anyone queue behind more than three people?) and even the parking attendant was cheery.

And yes, the funniest part was singing the compulsory and embarrassing Coca Cola celebration tune. Twice. Classic.

mansfields1964 wrote:I was impressed by the lack of hassle by the stewards, allowing standing throughout.
Mansfields

Did you see plod taking a few people out though?

Couldn't work out what this was all about. Thought they had the cameras trained on us - and that people making the ****er sign were being ejected.
mansfields1964

Post by mansfields1964 »

prophet:marginal wrote:Did you see plod taking a few people out though?

Couldn't work out what this was all about. Thought they had the cameras trained on us - and that people making the ****er sign were being ejected.
Didn't see that myself - there were far too many people doing that in the second half for them to eject! , I was right behind the goal halfway up. I did see a few stewards walking about during the first half pointing up to someone away to my left.
Cambiasso
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Cambiasso »

Here are links to two of the goals:

West Ham 0 - 1 Coventry

West Ham 2 - 1 Coventry
scatts
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

As I said before, big night for Cole and he came up with the goods! Well done lad!

I know we're not well liked, but I think it's a bit rich to make us play seven PL teams at the same time in the next round!! :lol:
Should results tomorrow night go to form, the line-up for the quarter final draw could see West Ham pitted against Manchester City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, Blackburn, Arsenal and Tottenham.
w4hammer

Post by w4hammer »

THE GIBBINS wrote:i just finished watching on tele as i had to work. We were pretty poor, but i thought we were still comfortable. We have some injuries which don't help and we lack a bit of flair and creativity. Carlton is good when people hoof the ball the ball forward, but we did it way too much and Boa Morte didn't really have a good understanding with Carlton. They were both jumping for the same ball and not really working off each other. We had our moments but then i never expected an easy game, championship teams have no pressure and nothing to lose so always have a go. Its better to be playing poor and win the match rather than lose and play in style. You cant win every match playing glamorous football, its good we have a side who can dig deep and grind a result.

I thought Cole and upson were our best players. Cole worked hard and finally got a goal for his efforts. Upson just seemed calm, composed and just did his job.

Mr Ferdinand...the jury is still out for me...still very sloppy
I make you right.Cole worked his ass off, biut surely theres a better way of stretching them than simply clattering the ball up to him?

As for Anton, very poor, sloppy, schoolboy like errors throughout. half way through the first half, he got turned in the box by a feint my mum could have seen....I really think we need to take the Rio glasses of and realise he just isnt improving, and that he really isnt that good either :?
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

prophet:marginal wrote:I am still baffled by the swap of Spector for Mullins. Was Hayden injured?
Knee injury apparently - don't know how serious
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Got in and turned the telly on with only 5 minutes to go. Saw the score 1-1 in the top left of my screen so only saw the last 8 minutes. Jumped in glee at Carlton Cole's wonder strike
bumpkinhammer

Post by bumpkinhammer »

I listened to the game on 5live and i got to say that **** Alan Green hates us. We did not play well with loads of players missing yet manged to beat a better team on the night. He would not give us any credit for it, yet if it had been his beloved Manure or another top team he would have gone on about how 'a great team can get a result when playing poorly'. Why not us?
He never once gave us credit last year for staying up, in fact he was all for us going down.
The bloke is first class prick and if i ever meet him shall tell him so in no uncertain terms.

Cambiasso wrote:Here are links to two of the goals:

West Ham 0 - 1 Coventry

West Ham 2 - 1 Coventry
Nice One mate

See that the Coventry defender went for the tried and tested effort to foul the player, but this time got shrugged off the ball.

The game was very stop and start, but I reckon they fouled Cole practically every time the ball came anywhere near him.
coviron

Post by coviron »

lynothehammer wrote:2-1 - JOB DONE !

Well done Carlton.... Keep em coming son.... :)
And thats all that matters! FFS some people on here will never be happy. The third string win away and some c**** still whinge WTF! By the way 10 pints and 2 rows later im happy as f***,i have to live here. :D :D
w4hammer

Post by w4hammer »

anyone have a clear view of the LBM foul/dive whatever in the first half?!

From our view at the other end, it was 50/50 tangle, LBM got the other side, was away, then got clattered, red card and foul to us--surely?!...lino-with a good view, looks at stiles, who doesnt have a good view, says no foul- and completely loses the game from an official perspective!?

would love to know what it looked like on TV?!

cheers