LCQF: West Ham Utd 1 Everton 2 (12/12/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

daniel wrote: We looked second best imo. We did lack a creative player, and I still think that Deano needs to lose weight asap. I hope we can stuff them on Saturday, but they have so much quality that I just can't see it.
How can anyone say that we looked the better team we were outclassed and couldnt get out of our half.

Curbishley is a really good away manager but I think a weak one at home and thats looking at his Charlton and West Ham home perfs.
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

Marky wrote:How can anyone say that we looked the better team we were outclassed and couldnt get out of our half.

Curbishley is a really good away manager but I think a weak one at home and thats looking at his Charlton and West Ham home perfs.
Really, I thought we were only outclassed for 20-25 minutes in the first half. The beginning of the first half we went for them, the second half Everton hardly did anything of note apart from lump long balls up the middle, hardly a real threat apart from set pieces... I definitely didn't think we couldn't get out of our half.

The difference between the home and away performances, for me, is that at home we have to break teams down who are happy to have 10 men inside their own half and try to catch us on the break.. we don't seem to be doing this, away it's the reverse and we do have the players who are good at this - the solid defence, pressing midfield and some pacy strikers. Although I think that will change as well when Ashton is fully fit.
D&G

Post by D&G »

I heard a rumour that Capello's private jet landed secretly on the Barking road at 03.00am last night, and while walking to the main entranced stopped by one of the yellow lego towers outside for a photo opportunity wearing a Burberry cap and stone Island jacket.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Our support was ****ing *****, DM and East stand need not have bothered turning up, obviously a few pockets and those in the corners but on the whole a terrible atmosphere. Everton played better in the second half and deserved a draw/extra time, Gabbidon undone all his good work recently although Green possibly should have been shouting his head off, I thought Cole was very good and determined, LBM tried very hard as well, Ashton was pooh, Freddy wasn't that bad, on the whole we will win on Saturday.
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Georgee Paris wrote:Our support was ****ing *****, DM and East stand need not have bothered turning up, obviously a few pockets and those in the corners but on the whole a terrible atmosphere. Everton played better in the second half and deserved a draw/extra time, Gabbidon undone all his good work recently although Green possibly should have been shouting his head off, I thought Cole was very good and determined, LBM tried very hard as well, Ashton was pooh, Freddy wasn't that bad, on the whole we will win on Saturday.
Agreed about the support, there was only a few of the regulars around where I sit, we tried to get a few songs going but no one bothered and just moaned that they were cold. This got met with "You boring bastards" from a few of of us :lol:
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

Romford wrote: I can't work people like you out :?

We were two games away from a Wembley cup final....something we might actually win.

We will never win the league.

For the people that go up and down the country, the league cup is hugely important and great days out for the travelling fan. Over the years i've had far too little cream and this would have been right up there.

To see us go out like this in my eyes is shocking :thdn:
Save it for the FA Cup. This is a competition that inspires as much excitement in me as the Inter ****ing Toto. Your mileage may most ****ing definitely vary. But judging from the **** turnout and the complete absence of any ****ing atmosphere whatsoever, I'm sure I'm not the only one.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

You say everton have so much quality but they have very similar results to us except they've nicked 2 or 3 games in the 90th minute and we've lost or drawn 2 or 3. This 11 game unbeaten run makes it sound better than it is but in reality they've beaten very poor teams, much like ourselves.

West Ham 1-2 Everton (Last min dodgy goal)
Everton 3-0 Fulham (bottom 4 team)
Everton 1-0 Zenit St Petersburg (team down to 10 men with joke of a handball and still got outplayed)
Portsmouth 0-0 Everton (we drew 0-0)
Everton 7-1 Sunderland (bottom 4)
Chelsea 1-1 Everton (Last min dodgy goal)
Nuremburg 0-2 Everton (great team)
Everton 3-1 Birmingham (2 90'th minute goals)
Luton 0-1 Everton (scored in extra time)
Derby 0-2 Everton (bottom of the league)
Everton 3-1 Larissa (great team)

I thought last night had draw written all over it but they got lucky.
I am law

Post by I am law »

Don't understand this stuff about the atmosphere in the ground

It was way better last night than it was against Sunderland or Boro, for instance.

Felt a bit red-faced to hear a '**** ground no fans' chant from the travelling support, but, it was a decent atmosphere in the BMU (ie for once it wasn't a complete graveyard...)
Kentammer
Has liked: 4 likes

Post by Kentammer »

I am law wrote:Don't understand this stuff about the atmosphere in the ground

It was way better last night than it was against Sunderland or Boro, for instance.

Felt a bit red-faced to hear a 'sh*t ground no fans' chant from the travelling support, but, it was a decent atmosphere in the BMU (ie for once it wasn't a complete graveyard...)
I was my first (and probably only) game all year, as I now live away from the area and, quite frankly, am poor. I was shocked by the atmosphere, especially with it being a cup QF, even if it is a bit of a **** cup. The Everton fans embarassed us, let's not kid ourselves. Heard bubbles once or twice the whole match, & not much else.
I am law

Post by I am law »

I'm not for a minute disputing that its nothing like the old days - even in a cup q/f.

I'd also accept that the Everton fans were more noisy than us, once they'd scored.

However, the comparison with league matches is still a fair one. It was considerably louder than against the teams I mentioned. And Wigan come to think about it.
Kentammer

Post by Kentammer »

Yeah that's fair enough, my last ST was the FA Cup final year and some league games were absolutely dead then! Just expected a bit more in the cup. Saying that, it was ****ing freezing - Northern bastards were used to it!
coxy
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by coxy »

Moyes has said that Everton's first half performance was their best ever performance under him, shows what we were up against. Still a bit bitter today though.
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

Couldn't give a toss about the League Cup, entry to Europe or not, who gives a ****. FA cup's a different matter.

Seems like the game was destined to be a draw unless
1/ We had someone who was going to make something happen, (a la Yossi, Tevez, Bellers.....) which we didn't have, or
2/ Somebody make a stupid mistake... which we did.

It's always ****ing frustrating as hell when we give **** away in the dying minutes but we're just not where we need to be, yet.

So. I'm happy enough with that result, especially given the weirdness of the subs.

What would piss me off is if we lose on Saturday as well. I'll be very happy to concentrate on league position this year & strengthen the squad in Jan/Summer. We can worry about trophies in the coming years.

Be interesting to see team selection and subs for Saturday's game, as well as any differences in commitment of players like Deano. If he's in the team.

If we can maintain & improve league performances we are by no means out of contention for a place in Europe anyway.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Romford wrote: What i couldn't work out was all the STs not going...around me i knew hardly anyone. I know the timing is hard on the pocket at Xmas but you can bet everyone would want a ticket for the away semi if we got through and everyone would be moaning about the final allocation.

Yes the league is important but we are going to end mid-table...people will turn round in 3 months time and ask "what if" about this loss
in my defence, i had to work last night so begrudgingly sent my ticket back. however was getting updates to the pub through the night and then when the people came in they were saying how poor we were. and i picked up on a lot of anti-deano stuff saying how he looks a donkey, and he's lazy and doesn't do anything.

and i thought i was the only one...
Kentammer

Post by Kentammer »

Quality picture (if not article) in the Mail:

HollzTheHammer

Post by HollzTheHammer »

green should have called for it earlier but gabbs should have headed it away insted of towards goal, very unfair for us to go out to a goal like that, but thats football.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

:eh:

I didn't see the game last night and haven't seen any highlights. That picture completely baffles me. Where is the goal?
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

James P wrote::eh:

I didn't see the game last night and haven't seen any highlights. That picture completely baffles me. Where is the goal?
Right where Gabbs is looking and the ball heading in pretty much the smae direction.
:thdn:
thal

Post by thal »

James P wrote::eh:

It's behind you! :lol:
HollzTheHammer

Post by HollzTheHammer »

:lol:
it happened to greens right near the edge of the box. in that picture fat eddie murphy is facing the far corner flag (to the left) gabbs headed it when green tried to grab it. thats how i remember it anyway, a total **** up!