Jermain Defoe - a poll

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Defoe - would you have him back at West Ham?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:26 am

Yes please
64%
Not flaming likely
25%
I dunno
10%

Total votes: 441

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Jermain Defoe - a poll

Post by Up the Junction »

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 88,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(apologies to those who posted this earlier, on reflection it deserves a thread of its own given our perceived interest in the past)
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Re: Jermain Defoe told he can leave T*tenham

Post by Georgee Paris »

Got to a Villa, Man U or Chelsea target?
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Re: Jermain Defoe told he can leave T*tenham

Post by Philosophical Dan »

No superior to Bellamy, IMO, aside from his injury record.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Re: Jermain Defoe - a poll

Post by davids cross »

Although Defoe says he wants to stay, when any manager says you can go it's the end of you at that club.
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

He also has a silly hair cut now which makes him look like a Blade 4 wannabe.
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

Yeah, we'll get Ince in as manager and go about constructing a midfield partnership of Nigel Reo-Coker and Fat Frank. Terrance Brown as Chairman, naturally.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Not sure that any of the top 4 would be interested but everyone below them....yes.

He's definitely better than Camara - and with his contract up soon the price will be relatively low.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

100% yes.

I think he's just covering himself by saying he wants to stay. If he says he wants to go, he's putting himself in a corner. Everyone now knows Spurs will listen to offers and if he gets one he likes he can say he felt like he was pushed out and if he stays he can claim he was true to his word. Perfect.

I think he'll probably go to Villa, or Portsmouth at the outside. I'd like to have him back, though. I'd have a lot of respect for anyone who came back after similar circumstances. It would show a tremendous amount of maturity. That said, I don't think he would come back. So it's kind of all academic. Defoe and Ashton would be brilliant together, though, I think.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Dunno.
Yes from the fact he's a goalscorer and we need one at the moment, although i dont know about long-term.
No from the point of view i think he was deliberately getting himself sent off in order to be released by us when relegated. Very dodgy character-wise.
Mad Professor
Has liked: 272 likes

Post by Mad Professor »

Well I have to admit to be the only one to say yes to date. It would require a considerable dose of humble pie for him to make the move and if he is prepared to do it we should bite the bullet and welcome him. He is better than the realistic alternatives and a partnership between him and Bellamy up front would revive memories of Frankie Mac and Tony Cottee particularly if they could be persuaded to pass to each other. Extremely unlikely to happen in my opinion.
gavind
Total likes: 1 like

Post by gavind »

depending on the money, yes please.

however if its a silly price, then definatley no.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Am of the opinion that players today are chattle in a financially-dominated market, and all our blowing about 'loyalty' is fans pleasing themselves and of little relevance to the players. Sounds a bit soulless but much as we like to 'bond' with players it's best to remember there's a fair amount of bolleaux in this.

Yes.
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

Would be cheaper than Bent and certainly useful to us as we need a goal scorer/poacher at the moment.
Not sure he could make the ground back up or want to though.
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

I know there will be loads of different opinions from spuds fans, but the two I work with both say they couldn't care less if Defoe left because they think he's too selfish

At the time when Defoe was let go, there was a lot of argument about whether we should sell or not. The key point, being overlooked by some at the time, was whether he wanted to play for the club. The answer was clearly no. Would he want to play for us now ? I'm guessing not, in which case, my answer would be the same......no thanks
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Although he is an excellent finisher, I don't see that we need him. I also think he'll be in much the same position with us as he is at the spuds. That is he'll be 4th or 5th choice

I wouldn't be totally anti him, although I know a few whose blood would rapidly reach boiling point at the suggestion of him turning out again in the claret n blue. If I felt he could make a real difference to us, I'd have no real problem with what happened the day after our relegation.

I just don't think he'd be the big cheese with us he feels he should be, at his current club. I'd have Ashton (when 100%), Bellamy and Zamora ahead of him. So that would mean he'll be competing with Cole for the 4th place striker berth. As Cole has more of an all round game, he'll probably prove more useful than Defoe anyway

A useful enough player, but he wouldn't be in the first choice pairing, so moving back to us would be just another sideways step for him
Scaloni Is The Messiah

bonehead wrote:Would he want to play for us now ? I'm guessing not, in which case, my answer would be the same......no thanks
This point is very confusing. Because the question is would you take him, and that relies on him agreeing to come being a given. So saying you wouldn't want him because he wouldn't come doesn't fit with the question, because we're assuming he's agreed to come and therefore the attitude you give as the reason for not wanting him would no longer exist. If you get what I'm saying?

It's like catch 22, but backwards or something.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

kitthehammer wrote:I think he was deliberately getting himself sent off in order to be released by us when relegated.
:lol:

Was he b*llocks. The sending off at Walsall was a shocking refereeing decision.

I'd have back in an instant. Excellent player who made a few mistakes as a kid but would benefit the West Ham team immensely.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Hambrosia Stu wrote: I just don't think he'd be the big cheese with us he feels he should be, at his current club. I'd have Ashton (when 100%), Bellamy and Zamora ahead of him.
Despite having sung a song to the contrary several times, I have to say I would Defoe is better than Zamora. He'd be in our top three strikers, with not much between them, imo.
GeorgeParris'Pet

Post by GeorgeParris'Pet »

kitthehammer wrote:Dunno.
No from the point of view i think he was deliberately getting himself sent off in order to be released by us when relegated.
Complete myth. Possibly argue the case for the sending off at Gillingham. But not for the other two. The incident at Walsall didn't merit a yellow card let alone a red one.

However, if Ashton and Bellamy are fit Defoe doesn't play. He's already proved he won't settle for the bench without becoming a disruptive arsewipe so why would we be interested? As good as his finishing is I really don't think he is what is required.
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote:
It's like catch 22, but backwards or something.
That is like when a lady offers a blow job and then says later...