Ljungberg targets top four - POLL

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ljungberg - right to call for a top four finish?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:18 pm

Yes - we should be aiming high
63%
No - it's completely unrealistic
32%
Unsure
5%

Total votes: 273

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Ljungberg targets top four - POLL

Post by cockney hammer »

Ljungberg targets top four
Midfielder feels Hammers are still in the running

Freddie Ljungberg believes West Ham can still challenge for the final UEFA Champions League spot.

The Hammers are nine points behind Everton after being held to a 1-1 draw by Manchester City at the weekend.

Liverpool, Aston Villa, Portsmouth, Blackburn and Man City are all ahead of West Ham in the race for fourth place.

However, Ljungberg is staying confident as West Ham have a game in hand on most of their rivals and players are beginning to return from injury.

"I looked at the Premier League table before the weekend and we were only seven points off fourth place with a game in hand over every club above us apart from Liverpool, and we play them in our next home game," said the midfielder.

"I felt we were capable of closing the gap and getting into the fight for fourth place, and I still think that is possible even though it has opened up to nine points now.

Tight

"A couple of wins can really get you moving in the right direction, and it is very tight behind the top three.

"With so many injured players preparing to come back in the second half of the season, we have to target a place in Europe."

Ljungberg feels it is too early to dismiss West Ham as he has learned from experience that things can change very quickly.

"To do it (qualify for Europe) we will have to catch at least one of the clubs who were in joint fourth on Saturday morning," he urged.

"So if you close the gap on one of them, why not all of them?

"My time in football has taught me that you have to set your sights high if you are going to achieve anything worthwhile."

that would be nice!
cockney farmer

Re: Ljungberg targets top four

Post by cockney farmer »

Drug test , drug test !!
The Bob

Post by The Bob »

This is more embarassing than when Pardew would say we can still make automatic promotion despite it being March, us playing **** and being 12 points off the top.
SamtheHammer92

Post by SamtheHammer92 »

Good enthusiasm but i highly doubt we'll make the top 4
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

We need more of this attitude :thup:
Coley
g33k h4mm3r

Post by Coley »

The Bob wrote:This is more embarassing than when Pardew would say we can still make automatic promotion despite it being March, us playing sh*t and being 12 points off the top.
LOL thats what i thought when i read it, "ohh ****ing hell another Pards statement!"

But that being said set high achievable goals, just dont let the press know what they are :lol:
paul.nicholas1990

Post by paul.nicholas1990 »

:lol: hes funny
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

davids cross wrote:We need more of this attitude :thup:
I agree but coming from a bloke who has exactly pulled any trees up maybe he should put more effort into what he does during a match than when a journo wants a word...

Still think he needs to show more.
hhammerhead

Post by hhammerhead »

I'm lost for words
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Romford wrote: I agree but coming from a bloke who has exactly pulled any trees up maybe he should put more effort into what he does during a match than when a journo wants a word...

I agree, but like a few of the new arrivals/those with injury, a little time is needed.
He's had that time and is starting to show a bit of promise so it's now that he starts doing it for us... no excuse. :thup:
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Romford wrote: I agree but coming from a bloke who has exactly pulled any trees up maybe he should put more effort into what he does during a match than when a journo wants a word...

I think the injury set him back a long way. Even for professional athletes it takes a long time to rediscover that energy and match fitness that is needed in the Premier League nowadays. What I would like to see rub off on his team mates is the mental atttitude he is showing in this piece, maybe you can say he is just talking the talk but throughout his career he has played for a team that wins things and I think and hope he still has the desire to do it.
Denby

Post by Denby »

Nothing wrong with optimism.
will make the team work even harder if anything.

If we think about it, clinical finishing in one or two matches would send us further up there.
The club being driven forward is what we need, so Freddie has got the right idea.

Nothing wrong with challenging for UEFA Cup, i reckon CL is out our league right now, but Freddie is giveing them reason to play!
IIIronss

Post by IIIronss »

He's been the best player on the pitch the past 2/3 games.
boghopper04

Post by boghopper04 »

I hardly think it is "embarrassing" as someone put it, that one of our players is showing some ambition and aiming high. It may be slightly unrealistic at this point but FFS what should he say, "I think we should aim for mid table mediocraty and not aim too high, after all we are only West Ham?"
Stranger things have happened you know.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Passing to one of your unmarked teamates in front of an open goal instead of blasting it into the side netting might help, eh Freddie?
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

If all our players were fit we'd have a first team to rival the likes of Villa, Man City, Pompey and Everton. We aren't far off. We need to aim high and have a bit of arrogance about the team if we are going to achieve.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

He is right IMO.

Aim high. Win a load on the bounce and anything is possible. We have no other commitments unlike the rest bar Villa.
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

I like his thinking. It's like going for a payrise. If you want a £10 a week payrise you don't ask your boss for 10 or you'll probably get five. Ask him for 20 and you might get the 10. Let's aim for CL and we might get a UEFA spot.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Hey claret parrot, your avatar thing looks like Freddie dancing...would he dance that way?
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

unrealistic maybe, but f*** it.

he just came from Arsenal, was a big part of the 'unbeatables' and used to staying top four so he knows the slog.

No need to **** him off, I'm glad we have a winners attitude in our team.
again, this is why Curbs signed him, shows he aint just here for the money, his performances are fast becoming top class.

Well done Freddie :thup: I'm behind you even if this lot arn't. :crest: