Wigan 1 West Ham Utd 0 (02/02/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

giblet
Has liked: 1 like

Re: Wigan v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by giblet »

THE GIBBINS wrote:I think alot of people went into this game expecting an easy win against a poor wigan side.
I think a lot of people aren't thinking straight.

"Worse" footballing sides can beat "better" ones if they don't allow the better ones to play to their advantages. We did it to Liverpool, and Wigan just did it to us. It's spoiling tactics, and, in a less agricultural way, it's what we've been doing to other teams most of the season.

I do think the formation was a mistake, and could have been changed or tightened up earlier, but f*** it.
Southend Hammer

Post by Southend Hammer »

Our defence did a good job as per usual but that was about the only positive to take from this match. Both managers acknowledged that pitch was an embarassment so it is not fair to judge any individual performance on either side. One general observation is that Ashton and Cole don't play particularly well together, in the first half it seemed that they were often occupying the same space.
DagenhamHammer

Post by DagenhamHammer »

vmixture wrote:On a side note did anyone see what happened when it kicked off as we were leaving the ground? We had made our way up the road so I couldnt see quite what happened but it sounded as though something was kicking off.

Maybe handbags but I did see the old bill on horses starting to wade in.....

Wasn't much fella, general consensus was that the old bill were being heavy handed. Me and laffers took em all on ;)
FloridaHammer

Post by FloridaHammer »

Just got done watching it on tape delay. What a poor game after playing so well in midweek. Ashton in particular looked out of touch.
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

DagenhamHammer wrote:
Me and laffers took em all on ;)

Too right!!

Having now had hours to think about it on the way back you have to say that Wigan deserved the win. We didn't do much right today and on a pitch like the one they had (Which was a disgrace imo) we should have played our normal 4-5-1. But it wasn't to be. Ashton had (yet another) poor game up front and our midfield were out battled.

Great away support as usual, Wigan away is a good day out and I hope they stay up just for that :lol:

As for their fans.... :thdn:
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Was terrible...whatever could go wrong went wrong. Even our good attacks ended with a horrid cross.

I saw most of you KUMBers up there actually...Laffers(I think I recognised) at half-time...not happy with the first half :lol:.
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

antony wrote:Sometimes you have to acknowledge the better side won, this isn't one of them. Wigan were awful, unfortunately they had more passion than us today and as such probably deserved to win. Still doesn't mean they weren't the worst side i've seen this season, just that for once they fought a little
Were a much better side than Wigan and if we had played as well as we know we can then we would of won.

Sounded like it was a poor game and the pitch didn't suit our style of football at all. Of course you can't blame the pitch for the result but it didn't help at all. Crap result but hopefully we can just put this down as a bad day at the office.

Got to laugh at a few people on here having a pop at Curbs for not playing 4-5-1 when if you look at most of the posts before the game most people wanted 4-4-2! :lol: I don't think Ashton and Cole is ever really going to work. When we play 4-5-1 I'd say Cole should start at the moment and when we play 4-4-2 it's got to be one of Cole or Ashton with Bellamy.

Ant/Laffers/anyone else who went, who would you say was out MOTM? Oh and how did Bellamy look when he came on?

Also today a lot of the teams around us didn't win (Portsmouth, Everton, Spurs and Blackburn all drew and Man City lost) so no one really gained ground on us or started to pull away from us.
Last edited by Harveys_HammersLH on Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
speculator
Location: I started out with nothing and I'm proud to say I've got most of it left.

Post by speculator »

The pitch turned the game into a joke. Wigan probably won because they have more experience of playing in the bog. 20K attendance and 5K of those West Ham, not really fit for The Premiership these bunch of jokers.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

The Wigan lot made a bit of noise this time, couldn't understand most of it though.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

delbert wrote:The Wigan lot made a bit of noise this time, couldn't understand most of it though.
I sat right next to where they were...the majority of it was some abuse aimed at a West Ham fan about being fat or something.

Other bits about Heskey, Melchiot and hating West Ham...
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

I thought the fat stuff was being aimed at Ashton, I thought it odd they was pointing towards us when chanting it though. Why can't the c**** talk proper English. :lol:
Harewood-3.16

Post by Harewood-3.16 »

Ashton is the scapegoat because he doesnt want to be here. I know it. You know it. Curbs knows it. Why are we fighting it. Can someone show me one instance where Ashon has said he wants to be at the club. I certainly havnt seen it on the pitch. No effort at all. Bellamy and Cole next game. Two strikers who will still be here in the summer and who want to play for the club
Gator_Hammer
Location: It is not guilty that man who eat the pie but one that gives it.

Post by Gator_Hammer »

Just got back from watching the game on Tivo in the living room. The pitch seemed more akin to peanut butter than grass and I really think that is what killed us. The midfield looked as if they were scared to put the ball forwards at times (including one extremely strange sequence in the second half where some of the squad were having trouble even moving the ball backwards) and when they did the pitch slowed it up too much. I think long balls in the air were the only way today and even then we couldn't convert the few chances.

Oh well. We looked the better side but that's the way it drops sometimes. At least we're dangerously close to the mythical 42 points for safety already and not where we were last year.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Well that wasn't pleasent viewing..

Probably the worst performance of the Season for me, maybe on a Par with the City League Home Game..

But the Pitch was awful & we couldn't string 2 passes together, it will be interesting to see how Arsenal get on there on that Pitch whihc will only get worse i would have thought..

Annoying to be beaten like that, by a goal like that & not create hardly anything ourselves but sh*t happens, we lost, we'll lose again this Season & it is what it is..

I suppose the best thing about it is the fact that we only lost by the odd goal keeping our goal difference down still, not really a comfort but our goal difference is something we should all be proud of this year..
Langley Hammer

Post by Langley Hammer »

Hey all,

I managed to watch the first half of the game last night but fell asleep after just before the end of the first half and as such missed the goal.

I've not read the posts but I was a bit concerned about Ashton's performance up front. He seemed to be missing for much of the game (that I saw). Ljunberg seemed to be making a good effort though.

Can Ashton be bothered or are we blaming his fitness and lack of football?
Bobby Orangeboom

Langley Hammer wrote:Hey all,

I managed to watch the first half of the game last night but fell asleep after just before the end of the first half and as such missed the goal.

I've not read the posts but I was a bit concerned about Ashton's performance up front. He seemed to be missing for much of the game (that I saw). Ljunberg seemed to be making a good effort though.

Can Ashton be bothered or are we blaming his fitness and lack of football?
I don't know but he didn't have a good game..

But saying that, no one did & i was more worried about how little we was getting the ball to Ashton in the first place..
antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by antony »

Harveys_HammersLH wrote:
Ant/Laffers/anyone else who went, who would you say was out MOTM? Oh and how did Bellamy look when he came on?
Anton, no doubt about it in my eyes. Thought everyone else was poor. To be honest it's the worst we have played since the valley/ maybe Sheffield United away last season. That says a lot about how much we have improved
Bobby Orangeboom

antony wrote: Anton, no doubt about it in my eyes. Thought everyone else was poor. To be honest it's the worst we have played since the valley/ maybe Sheffield United away last season. That says a lot about how much we have improved
Anton & Upson !!
antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by antony »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: Anton & Upson !!
Yeah he'd be 2nd for me.
I don't like to use the pitch as an excuse but the midfield were always gonna struggle to dig the ball out and play anything attractive. Ashton was very poor again, and Cole did well without ever really creating much.
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

antony wrote: Anton, no doubt about it in my eyes. Thought everyone else was poor. To be honest it's the worst we have played since the valley/ maybe Sheffield United away last season. That says a lot about how much we have improved
Agree 100%

Didn't get to see a lot of Bellers but he certainly hasn't lost his speed.