I dream of becoming West Ham boss, says Di Canio - POLL

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Paolo Di Canio - a future West Ham manager in the making?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:12 pm

Yes
46%
No
39%
Unsure
15%

Total votes: 265

Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Re: I dream of becoming West Ham boss, says Di Canio - POLL

Post by Georgee Paris »

I voted yes just to be different, I didn't expect everyone to copy me.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

spiky_simon wrote: I was shocked at the number of Yes votes :shock:
So am I, it's hard to imagine a worse choice to be honest. If I had to pick someone I didn't think would make it as a manager it would be PdC.

No one on here has given a credible reason as to why they think he could make it as a manager. Being a great player is irrelevant with regards to being a manager, most top managers were not great players - yes we can all name exceptions like Brian Clough (though he had his career finished very early through injury) but we can all name many more who weren't..
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

I have a firm grip.... and voted no. Headbanger
johnpantsil

Post by johnpantsil »

I'm shocked with the amount of yes votes. Who in their right mind would want PDC in charge at Upton Park?! a cool, calm influence he is not! We'd be nazi saluting inside of a season...

Don't get me wrong, PDC is a legend. Always will be in my book. Anyone who has the bottle/lack of control to push over Paul Alcock is a ledg!

I'm thinking PDC would make a great No 2. Great enthusiasm and passion, just not entrusted totally with the crown jewels. How bout Bilic as manager and PDC as his number 2??
Officer Dibble
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by Officer Dibble »

I always thought PDC would be our Boss once Redknapp left, especially with what was happening at Chelsea at the time (Hoddle, Gullit, then the bald one). However that was 2001 and things have changed a bit since then. Can you imagine how he would react if a player demanded to be substituted because he thought the Ref was being nasty to him, the bizarre afternoon that was West Ham 5 Bradford 4 (still one of my favourite games, not for skill, just for complete lack of tactics).

It would be interesting with him as a Manager, but I think there are far more options out there, not that we need to change things. I'm also on the side of Ince being a future Boss, he is learning well and has done excellent jobs where he has been so far. I know this will be a horrible thought to most people, but I'm interested in WHU being a succesful team, if Ince was, at the time, the most suitable person as a Manager, then we should have him. Besides there isn't much difference between Ince (Man U shirt and all) and Billic, in his actions towards the club when he signed a new contract then buggered off to Everton, and a hell of a lot of people seem to forget that when they go on about having him as our Manager.

If PDC goes off learns and is succesfull then yes, but i think this is a good few years away.
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

Oh well, against my better judgement, I had to join in again (well what's the point of being on this site otherwise?).

45% of you lot think he's a future WHU manager in the making. FORTY FIVE PERCENT!!!

God save us. There is no evidence whatsoever that he'd be a good manager, plenty of evidence that he's narcissistic and unstable, and you want to entrust the stability/future of this club to that guy?

Curbs spends half this season with criticisms from a large portion of fans, many of whom want him out, despite a very successful track record with Charlton (given the small scale of the club), the most astonishing escape from relegation of all time, and then guiding us to mid-upper table security, all in the space of 12 months.

Di Canio just has to say he's interested (no doubt inbetween Dr Strangelove like impulsive lifting of the arm in fascist salute) and nearly half of you are wetting yourself at the prospect.

There was a time (reputedly in my lifetime) when WHU fans were widely known for beinng knowledgeable. Well no one's gonna make that mistake now are they.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

bobcar wrote: So am I, it's hard to imagine a worse choice to be honest. If I had to pick someone I didn't think would make it as a manager it would be PdC.

No one on here has given a credible reason as to why they think he could make it as a manager. Being a great player is irrelevant with regards to being a manager, most top managers were not great players - yes we can all name exceptions like Brian Clough (though he had his career finished very early through injury) but we can all name many more who weren't..
I voted no. Sue paolo is passionate, but Stuart Pearce never lacked passion and he was a poor manager. Big name players dont necessarily make good managers, though I think if you looked at players who were disciplined and helped organise a team, then you might expect they would be a better bet. That, I think is why people think Bilic has promise in spite of his limited experience (Keane and Ince similarly would fit the disciplined "manager on the pitch" model of footballer). Paolo was all about flair and not focused on team discipline, so there must be question marks.
upton o'good

Post by upton o'good »

Rowly wrote:Give him 5-6 years down the line and a decent managerial CV and I wouldn't say no....
I think that is the real big IF...

But hey, Id be interested in anyone who had a strong record of achievement for 5-6 yearsif we had a managerial vacancy... I think the point of this thread is to speculate on whether Paolo is the kind of guy you'd expect to build up that CV or not. I'm in the "not" camp.

If I was proved wrong, then I would be happy to see him back here. Incidentally, as it were, I do think Paul is satring to build up an impressive CV
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

In a word NO!!!!!!!

I can't believe anyone would seriously consider him.

I mean, why would we want a self-obsessed fascist primadonna who admittedly can do amazing things with a football when things are going right, but has no guts for a battle or the less glorious side of the game, when it's backs against the wall

The one thing about Paulo you cannot take away, is his natural ability. But as a manager, you don't actually play yourself, so his first touch (for example) is irrelevant

Yet the things you want in a manager, grit, bottle, determination, fighting spirit, understanding, experience, he is seriously lacking in

As a character, I think his personality is fundamentally flawed. It is just typical of DiCanio to put himself forward like that. I mean, the man has nothing to suggest he has any of the characteristics needed to be a top manager, yet somehow feels he'll be suitable to walk straight in to West Ham

As a talent, there's no denying he was great. But as a human being, I wouldn't want him anywhere near the Boleyn, in any official capacity
upton o'good

Post by upton o'good »

upton o'good wrote: I think that is the real big IF...

But hey, Id be interested in anyone who had a strong record of achievement for 5-6 yearsif we had a managerial vacancy... I think the point of this thread is to speculate on whether Paolo is the kind of guy you'd expect to build up that CV or not. I'm in the "not" camp.

If I was proved wrong, then I would be happy to see him back here. Incidentally, as it were, I do think Paul is starting to build up an impressive CV
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

.....just out of interest do we know Curbishley's political swayings?......
johnpantsil

Post by johnpantsil »

Hambrosia Stu wrote:In a word NO!!!!!!!

I can't believe anyone would seriously consider him.

I mean, why would we want a self-obsessed fascist primadonna who admittedly can do amazing things with a football when things are going right, but has no guts for a battle or the less glorious side of the game, when it's backs against the wall

The one thing about Paulo you cannot take away, is his natural ability. But as a manager, you don't actually play yourself, so his first touch (for example) is irrelevant

Yet the things you want in a manager, grit, bottle, determination, fighting spirit, understanding, experience, he is seriously lacking in

As a character, I think his personality is fundamentally flawed. It is just typical of DiCanio to put himself forward like that. I mean, the man has nothing to suggest he has any of the characteristics needed to be a top manager, yet somehow feels he'll be suitable to walk straight in to West Ham

As a talent, there's no denying he was great. But as a human being, I wouldn't want him anywhere near the Boleyn, in any official capacity
:thup: spot on. Anyone else agree he could make a good number 2?
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote:.....just out of interest do we know Curbishley's political swayings?......
He is a big fan of the Green party and only last year went to a summit on the plight of the Orangutang in Borneo's rain forest.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Georgee Paris wrote: He is a big fan of the Green party and only last year went to a summit on the plight of the Orangutang in Borneo's rain forest.
What about the gorillas! Curbs out!
Phizza

Re: I dream of becoming West Ham boss, says Di Canio

Post by Phizza »

kitthehammer wrote:Have to say, i'd love to see him play one more time before he hangs up his boots. I thought he had already retired - he's 40 and has still scored 7 goals this season for AS Cisco Roma http://www.ciscocalcioroma.it/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've spent some time on Cisco Roma's website, even got a friend of mine to translate some of the stuff on there. I, like you, would love to see him play before he calls it a day.
Maybe we should see how many of us on here would be up for a trip to Rome for a weekend & see the "old boy" one more time. We would have to move fast though as their season ends the end of April. They also play mainly on Sundays.
Di Canio appreciation T shirts obligatory! :lol:
Browndog

Post by Browndog »

Jimmy Talons wrote: the line becomes blurred at moments like this :wink:
He's obviously just spotted his mate in the crowd and he's waving hello...
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

I do the same every game...well that is when I'm singing bubbles and I've got a half eaten Balti pie in my hand...United...United..United.
Jon Boy

Post by Jon Boy »

Come on, who on here hasnt given a Nazi/Roman salute when they are intoxicated with the joyful emotion of scoring a "next goal wins" goal in a 5 a side kick about..... :shock:
morrisey is a hammer

Post by morrisey is a hammer »

whatever anyone says about di canio, for me he wil always be the winner of the most comic moment ever at upton park. di canio gets chopped down at least twice in the penalty area, and the ref just blanks him. he then goes over to near where harry is in the dugout and pleads with harry too take him off whilst the game goes on around him. ****ing nutter :lol:
X-Hammer-X

Post by X-Hammer-X »

Di Canio as West Ham boss...?? Get him in now I say, the hammers legend is a nutter, he would definately liven the place up a bit. Imagine seeing him kick off on the touchline every 5 minutes, belting LBM round the chops for being ****, throwing his shoe at ashton for being a lazy ****, thats what i wanna see. Its a 100% yes for me im afraid! (Joke)

But Di Canio as the gaffer will never happen in a million years but it would be nice to see him back (not as our boss tho!)

:crest:
Last edited by X-Hammer-X on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.