Transfer Window: Summer 2008

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Transfer Window: Summer 2008

Post by NedN »

Yes I know this is early being over 50 days left before the next window, but...
if we want a repeat of last year's over 200 pages of bable about how we were going to get riquelme and would tevez stay or go, we should prob start soon (you may say you don't want that, but if nobody wanted it, it wouldn't have happened last year)
so post any itk info you have or players (realistic) that you'd like to see come and players you'd like to leave

for me personally,

I think we are better off than we think we are, but need to make a few moves. I think Noble is due for a breakthrough year next season, so while I'd like to see us bring a great center mid in, unless we're getting one of the top in the world, I think we should be spending bigger money elsewhere. People are calling for a "creative" midfielder, but I think where we need that isn't in the center but on the wings. A fit Noble and parker in the center would be great with a little more help on the wings. I'd still bring in a CM, but one for depth that poses more of an offensive threat than mullins and bowyer, we also need to remember that we have dyer who can be fit to play there for around hopefully 5-10 games next season if need be

I also think we could do with one new striker who offers something different than what we have, a left back to put pressure on linda, and a right back to replace Neill

So here are my suggestions of who I'd like us to get:
One of these forwards:
Cavenaghi (Bordeaux),
Elmander (Toulouse, who may go down making him easier to get)
Lisandro Lopez (Porto, could be in our reach?)
*Arshavin (see below)

Midfield/wingers
*Arshavin (Zenit, also plays as a forward, behind the forwards, etc, in addition to being on the right wing. Would be valuable for us to have for the games we may need to go 4-5-1)
McGeady (Celtic, may be a little unrealistic, but I think we could get him, and he would be great on the left wing and add an element of speed there)
and
Jimmy Bullard (west ham boy, has some skills)
and/or (depending on how many people go)
Michael Bradley (I think he's worth a shot as he's young and has lots of potential and is scoring)

Defense:
LB Nicky Shorey or Taye Taiwo (young left back at Marsaille has potential) to put keep pressure on linda
RB Faubert could play here, but I'd also bring in Wes Brown

Keeper
Assmann (Independiente, 21 year old keeper, great potential, and call me immature, but worth having just cause he would be a fan fav with his name)

Out: Mullins (doesn't offer enough on attack), Cole (works so hard but just isn't good enough), Neill (looks off speed), Camara (no need for him anymore with a new forward, bellers fit, and sears pushing into the team *knock on wood*), Boa mortified (enough said), Bowyer, Davenport, Collins (love the boy, but with his injury problems it's not worth having him esp with the likes of tomks pushing through), Walker (need the spot for Assmann)

Potential outs: If we can get good money and another one of the listed forwards: Zman
if we can get good money for him: ethers
If he doesn't look like he's going to make it: Reid

I think with some new bodies in, and people back to fitness, that would make for a very strong squad, and even if some people lose fitness, I think it would still leave us with improved depth, as youth/reserve team members are pushing up.
Bobby Orangeboom

Re: Summer Transfer talk

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

You've done your homework there Fella that's for sure..

But you forgot Luca Toni.. :wink:
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I want world class players, champions league qualification and AT LEAST a trophy.
NedN

Post by NedN »

actually i just kinda put together names of seen on here that i think we could get...

except for Assmann, I found his name when i was looking at something on the Argentine league
NedN

Post by NedN »

THE GIBBINS wrote:I want world class players, champions league qualification and AT LEAST a trophy.
actually, by the way, I'm told if we get over 1000 pages on this thread by the start of next season, the entire world 11 becomes west ham players free of charge and plays for free making season ticket prices drop...
but that only will happen if Billic and paulo di canio become joint-managers
Gator_Hammer
Location: It is not guilty that man who eat the pie but one that gives it.

Post by Gator_Hammer »

NedN wrote:actually i just kinda put together names of seen on here that i think we could get...

except for Assmann, I found his name when i was looking at something on the Argentine league
Be sure you don't make a search for that name at work. Might find something you aren't looking for.
Cambiasso
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Cambiasso »

Well, sure, Luca Toni is ridiculous to say the least because he just moved to Bayern and is settling just fine from what I can see. I think we all realize that and people are just taking the piss for the fun of it.

As a perhaps "out of reach" option -- although you never know -- I want to say Javier Saviola. It would show some sort of ambition from the club.

I know what you're thinking. Broke the U-20 world cup goal scoring record, had put them in the back of the net in Europe at Barcelona, Sevilla, Monaco, and Real Madrid (two goals in six appearances). Dream on ...

Real Mardid brought him in on a free transfer. He has hardly played, and yet supposedly Schuster blames him for their elimination from the Copa del Rey (what a know-nothing ****). He was not getting any playing time at the end of his career at Barcelona either. Because of this, I think it's clear that he needs to step down from the Reales and Barcelonas of this world and join a midtable team where he can actually get some playing time. Real Zaragoza, for instance, were in for him before Real Mardid snapped him up. If a team the likes of Zaragoza can try to sign Saviola, I don't see why we can't.

While normally out of our reach, I'd say conditions are fair. If we could get him for the right price ... I'd say "sign him."

Now ... if people object because they think something is going on or that he would be a flop, then that's a different story.
FDiMcA
teh
Location: Locked in a cellar, not sure where but I can smell hotdogs

Post by FDiMcA »

In no particular order.

1 Green
2 Neill
3 McCartney
4 Gabbidon
5 Ferdinand
6 Upson
7 Ljungberg
8 Parker
9 Ashton
10 Bellamy
11 Solano
12 Noble
13 Collins
14 Faubert
15 Mullins
16 Reid
17 Bowyer
18 Dyer
19 Sears
20 Cole (the exception)
21 Paintsil
22 Wright

We need to add to these 22 get a few more competent bodies in: IMHO #23 = a winger/ creative wide midfielder.

Spare Etherington
Spare Spector
Spare Zamora
Spare Quashie
Spare Camara
Spare Boa Morte
Spare Davenport
dodgy dave
Has liked: 113 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by dodgy dave »

NedN wrote:actually i just kinda put together names of seen on here that i think we could get...

Are you sure? :shock:
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

I don't think we need to panic but apart from the usual dross (Quashie, LBM) I do think they have to be bold and be prepared to let good average players like Cole go if it means we bring in international quality players. I can see that we won't get shot of highly paid experienced players like Ljundberg and Neil but we should be looking to improve in their positions.
There are very few, if any positions where we could not do better.
dmyeo66

Post by dmyeo66 »

I dont see any big names coming in this summer unless we get rid of at least 10 squad players to free the wages up.

I would get rid of the following:
Quashie, Davenport, Neil, Solano, Pantsil, Collins, Gabbidon, Spector, Cole, Boa Morte, Reid, Walker, Bowyer and why we havent terminated Camara loan deal yet is beyond me.

We need a serious over-haul of our squad. We need a good look at the training and medical side of thins too.
This is where a lot of our players are continually breaking down.

Bring into the first team squad...............

Tomkins, Sears, Collinson, Stech/Street, N`gala, Widdowson and possibly young Hales. Keep them in and around the 1st team. Then look abroad for 2 right backs, a left back, left winger, a creative midfielder and a decent striker.

Then replace our terrible back room staff with people who have knowledge our more than just Charlton!!!
hammerheadjim
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by hammerheadjim »

NedN wrote:Yes I know this is early being over 50 days left before the next window, but...
if we want a repeat of last year's over 200 pages of bable about how we were going to get riquelme and would tevez stay or go, we should prob start soon (you may say you don't want that, but if nobody wanted it, it wouldn't have happened last year)
so post any itk info you have or players (realistic) that you'd like to see come and players you'd like to leave

for me personally,

I think we are better off than we think we are, but need to make a few moves. I think Noble is due for a breakthrough year next season, so while I'd like to see us bring a great center mid in, unless we're getting one of the top in the world, I think we should be spending bigger money elsewhere. People are calling for a "creative" midfielder, but I think where we need that isn't in the center but on the wings. A fit Noble and parker in the center would be great with a little more help on the wings. I'd still bring in a CM, but one for depth that poses more of an offensive threat than mullins and bowyer, we also need to remember that we have dyer who can be fit to play there for around hopefully 5-10 games next season if need be
I agree with the highlighted line. TBH all I want is another left back and the rest of our players fit and i'd be more than happy. :crest:
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

I would love to see Adriano here as he is one of my favourite players, strong , excellent on the ball, good shooting technique even from 30 yards, also a free kick taker which we lack.

I know hes been having a bad time, but i feel he is a player that needs to be loved to get the best out of him, its quite clear that at west ham we would eat him up cheer his name etc...

So for me he would be a perfect signing

also wouldnt mind us signing that Owen Garvan, looks like a good prospect for the future

need another left back and left winger i reckon
Liam
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Liam »

Why does everyone seem so intent on getting rid of Spector, he's only turned 22 and provides us with so much cover, he could be the new football genius!
Adi Cokers Boots

Post by Adi Cokers Boots »

Billy Gunn :lol: Are we getting Road Dod Jesse James as well :lol:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Prettty Much yea :lol:
Well i thought the amount of usual crap we get on this thread usually i might aswell add to it, although Luis Figo aint a bad shout IMO[/quote]

Luis Figo's on his way to QPR, FFS.l would like to think that if they are the only club after him, what does this say about this nearly 40 something, injury prone, over the hill has been ?
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

Puff Daddy wrote:what does this say about this nearly 40 something, injury prone, over the hill has been ?
He wants to stay at a Champions League team? (In two years)
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote: He wants to stay at a Champions League team? (In two years)
You mean he wants to play Championship football ?
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

Certainly one or the other. :wink:
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Puff Daddy wrote: Luis Figo's on his way to QPR, FFS.l would like to think that if they are the only club after him, what does this say about this nearly 40 something, injury prone, over the hill has been ?
Well they offered him championship football and something got lost in translation?

"la liga Campione" or similar :lol: