Sunderland 2 West Ham Utd 1 (29/03/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bumpkinhammer

Re: Sunderland v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by bumpkinhammer »

So we lost to a team fighting for their lives who have got a decent home record and great support. We were half decent in the 1st half and although we were on the back foot all the 2nd half nearly we never really looked like losing imo. Just unlucky i say.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

anjado wrote: Really we definitely need a new medical staff in the summer it's really getting ridiculous now. Where is Zamora ? He has blisters how long is he going to be out for his feet must be near incinerated to be out for 3 weeks with blisters, Really they must be the worst blisters in the history of the universe.
And there you have it, it wasn't Curbs fault today that we lost to a fighting team in a packed stadium, it's the fact that minor injuries are turning into players spending months out (Zamora, Gabbs, Bellamy, etc) leaving our options extremely limited.
Gazzaloz1

Post by Gazzaloz1 »

Cornwall_Hammer wrote:Curbs out.

Too many youth- Sears,Tomkins
I absolutely agree. Who knows where we would have been without that bloody academy foisting young players on our first team when we could have been spending a fortune on over-priced foreigners?
It is ludicrous that Curbishley should be risking tenth place in our least meaningless seven games.
What us he trying to do, give them valuable Premiership experience or something?
Get rid of him now and let's have more words of wisdom from Cornwall.
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

to be honest although I'm dissaapointed to lose I can't say I'm really that bothered for me the season has been as good as over for a good few weeks and I think the players have that same feeling and are now just going throuh the motions.
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt
Has liked: 1 like

Post by bluebutterfly »

Gazzaloz1 wrote: Too many youth- Sears,Tomkins[/quote
I absolutely agree. Who knows where we would have been without that bloody academy foisting young players on our first team when we could have been spending a fortune on over-priced foreigners?
It is ludicrous that Curbishley should be risking tenth place in our least meaningless seven games.
What us he trying to do, give them valuable Premiership experience or something?
Get rid of him now and let's have more words of wisdom from Cornwall.
Did you moan when Sears scored a couple of games ago.

The youngsters have done well imo
Last edited by bluebutterfly on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

I'm with 'anjando' regarding injuries. Something just aint right, either that or we are the unluckiest team ever in the history of football. If anyone should be "out" it's the folks in charge of player fitness/health.

Wasn't sure what was going to happen today but when I saw 1-1 for a long time I just knew this was going to be a last minute loss.

What to look forward to now? We can't beat the good teams because we're not good enough. We can't beat the bad teams because they're all scrapping for survival. That leaves us with two games out of the last six we might get some points - Derby & Newcastle. Forget the rest.

We're going to finish with 50 points. If we're lucky. Not too bad really but BOY do we need to sort things out in the summer!

Normally I'd be predicting our usual late season win over Manure, but there's no way that's going to happen this season. We're going to get slaughtered.

The worst part of all is that come 5th April, Spuds will be above us, and deservedly so.
Last edited by scatts on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

Just got back from the match.

What a pile of *****. We were very gracious cos everytime sunderland lost the ball, we gave it back to them.

Ashton was a lazy ***** today and couldn't be arsed. The passing was utter ****. Only Ljunberg and Green showed any committment. Even the majority of fans couldn;t be arsed.

And what made it worse was after the game the players just ****ed off down the tunnel. Only Anton, Green and Deano acknowledged us. Although I don't know why Ashton bothered his arse cos he couldn't be arsed throughout the game

The ref was one sided but I'm not using that as an excuse cos we were ***** and I want my £25 quid back.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Geordie Hammer wrote:Just got back from the match.

Ashton was a lazy ***** today and couldn't be arsed. The passing was utter ****.

And what made it worse was after the game the players just f*cked off down the tunnel. Only Anton, Green and Deano acknowledged us. Although I don't know why Ashton bothered his arse cos he couldn't be arsed throughout the game
Don't agree about deano. He had a good first half but he was as good as on his own in the second half. The passing was so bad they didn't find him again. He really needs a bit of pace next. It's no surprise that he looks good when sears is with him.

Very poor passing from us today.
FDiMcA
teh
Location: Locked in a cellar, not sure where but I can smell hotdogs

Post by FDiMcA »

anjado wrote: Our midfield was dreadful we couldn't keep the ball at all after we scored and this is what cost us the game,

Parker wanted too long on the ball

We couldn't keep the ball after we scored and in the second half i think we only had something like 36% possesion which is incredibly poor against any team let alone Sunderland.
With Noble still learning, and Mullins trying hard to play at a level (top-half-o-prem) above what is generally expected of him, Parker the Chelsea and Newcastle experienced International who cost West Ham a lot of money, should be in charge of our midfield.Parkers job is to run this team just as Keane ran teams he palyed for.

OK Parker is not as good as Keane was, but who is. Im not comparing Parker to Keane as a player, but looking at our team it is Parker who should be controlling it.

The problem we have in the middle is that Parker is out of his depth (see Chelsea/Newcastle/England). He has and will continue to play the odd good game, and arguably he is better than Mullins and Noble and Bowyer, so it is not a case of dropping Parker.

However if we are to go above mid-table, to make progress (if we dont we will fall backwards over time) we need to buy a better midfield general than Parker.

Parker might have a long term future at West Ham supporting our midfield leader, but as a midfield leader he is not up to it. He is a failure.

Yes he is a better player than most in our squad, yes he is comfy in the Premiership, no we shouldnt have him running midfield, dictating play.

Lungjberg in particular is not well served by Parker.
Parker has not dynamised our midfield, Parker is not good enough for a team seeking European spots.

He was bought to do that, he is the player who is meant to do that.
We dont have a player on the bench who can improve on him (though Noble might given time), so we need to buy.

Parker limits the prospects of West Ham.

Im sorry to judge a player I would put in our first eleven so harshly, its less criticism of Parker than it is an observation about where this team can get to, Neil would be in our first eleven if I was manager too.

We have players in Ashton, Green, Noble, Sears, Gabidon, Collins, Lungjberg and maybe Dyer who can stay with the pace if we are to go higher up the table.

It is a shame that with such experienced management we dont have a few more. Parker and Neil were mistakes, as would Bent have been.

Curbishley likes to point out how much money he made for West Ham selling players previous regimes had bought, lets hope we can get some cash back on the big signings Curbishley has made - because injuries or not we need to buy to get above 10th.

Our midfield is not good enough, and with Freddie, Solano, Parker, LBM available today and Noble and Mullins not the worst padding injuries and bad luck are not the culprits.
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

jacko wrote: Don't agree about deano. He had a good first half but he was as good as on his own in the second half. The passing was so bad they didn't find him again. He really needs a bit of pace next. It's no surprise that he looks good when sears is with him.

just got back aswell and gotta agree,gave them the game,never looked like penetrating and lacked options on the flanks,come back matty
I am law

Post by I am law »

Journeys so far north normally cause dizziness and headaches in WHU, so I'm not going to say I either that surprised or that bothered.

They got us back after they played much better than suggested by the scoreline at UP last Autumn.

Let's remember we hit the post and Cole had a very decent shot that was well saved. Reading some of the post-match comments in this thread would make you wonder we'd lost 4-0 again.
FDiMcA
teh
Location: Locked in a cellar, not sure where but I can smell hotdogs

Post by FDiMcA »

FDiMcA wrote: With Noble still learning, and Mullins trying hard to play at a level (top-half-o-prem) above what is generally expected of him, Parker the Chelsea and Newcastle experienced International who cost West Ham a lot of money, should be in charge of our midfield.Parkers job is to run this team just as Keane ran teams he palyed for.

OK Parker is not as good as Keane was, but who is. Im not comparing Parker to Keane as a player, but looking at our team it is Parker who should be controlling it.

The problem we have in the middle is that Parker is out of his depth (see Chelsea/Newcastle/England). He has and will continue to play the odd good game, and arguably he is better than Mullins and Noble and Bowyer, so it is not a case of dropping Parker.

However if we are to go above mid-table, to make progress (if we dont we will fall backwards over time) we need to buy a better midfield general than Parker.

Parker might have a long term future at West Ham supporting our midfield leader, but as a midfield leader he is not up to it. He is a failure.

Yes he is a better player than most in our squad, yes he is comfy in the Premiership, no we shouldnt have him running midfield, dictating play.

Lungjberg in particular is not well served by Parker.
Parker has not dynamised our midfield, Parker is not good enough for a team seeking European spots.

He was bought to do that, he is the player who is meant to do that.
We dont have a player on the bench who can improve on him (though Noble might given time), so we need to buy.

Parker limits the prospects of West Ham.

Im sorry to judge a player I would put in our first eleven so harshly, its less criticism of Parker than it is an observation about where this team can get to, Neil would be in our first eleven if I was manager too.

We have players in Ashton, Green, Noble, Sears, Gabidon, Collins, Lungjberg and maybe Dyer who can stay with the pace if we are to go higher up the table.

It is a shame that with such experienced management we dont have a few more. Parker and Neil were mistakes, as would Bent have been.

Curbishley likes to point out how much money he made for West Ham selling players previous regimes had bought, lets hope we can get some cash back on the big signings Curbishley has made - because injuries or not we need to buy to get above 10th.

Our midfield is not good enough, and with Freddie, Solano, Parker, LBM available today (and Noble and Mullins are not the worst padding either) injuries and bad luck are not the culprits.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

RM9 wrote:Good...........

Another nail in fucktard Curbishleys coffin and another nail in Bolton's coffin.

Cya :thup:
Don't come back fella....... :thup:
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

4 losses from last 6 now, at least this one wasn't 4-0 eh, be thankful for small mercies. Have no doubts our form is relegation form and this is worrying as we should be building a style of play and winning momentum for next season. We got glimpses of that against Everton last week but today is depressing as we're back looking like bottom half strugglers who've bluffed it in to safety this time but might not be so lucky next season.

Also just wanted to say the 'ah well Sunderland are fighting for their lives so we can't expect to win' attitude is wrong. We should have plenty to play for and if Curbs 'we're stuck in no-mans land' attitude has permeated the whole club then that he has to shoulder some of the blame for this lacklustre display.

We have better players than them, we should play better football than them, we should be able to build on a 1-0 lead and kill the game off and we should be able to get the ball out of our half more than a couple of times in 45 mins. What happened to Curbs much vaunted fast counter attacking game away from home.

The three or four injuries today make this throughly miserable. If there is to a clearout in the summer start with the physio/medical department because if they can't treat blisters in 3 weeks then threy're not up to the job. Sack 'em all.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

The West Ham players are playing for their jobs next season I would imagine.
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

simon hammer wrote: And for what it's worth I'm glad that Sunderland have gained 3 more points towards safety, especially if it means Bolton stand more chance of going down.
Yes obviously I wouldn't ever want West Ham to lose, but I was thinking all week if we have to lose another game I'd rather it be against Sunderland than anyone else. I have a soft spot for them anyway, but now Wigan seem relatively safe :cry: I am passionately hoping for Bolton to make the drop.

I'm more worried about the ridiculous injury situation. This is becoming a scandal and heads should roll.
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

cockney hammer wrote: said we should have sigined defoe..
I can't imagine he'd want to play for us after all the **** we've given him since he left :eh:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

A few points:

1) The "nothing to play for" malaise that is affecting us is also hitting Villa and Satay. In fact, its probably hitting them worse.

2) Sunderland scrape last minute winner.......something they have done umpteen times this season. Its what teams fighting for £35million do.

3) Cole and Ashton. Sounds like good first half, poor second. Same as Brum at home, Newcastle away. Pattern developing. Also, in all these games our midfield ended up overrun.

4) At least the entertainment quota has gone up in the last 3 games :D

5) The injuries are turning into something more than a joke. In 34 years I have never seen anything remotely as extreme as this year;

6) Where are the Welsh Mafia - the Taffia? Bellamy, Collins, Gabbidon all out injured. Bellamy and Gabbidon both hauled off after poor games / strops and not seen again in first team.

7) In nearly all businesses with excessive sickness (injuries), some of the sickness is in the mind - a simple unwillingness/ desire not to work for the business or a general lack of commitment. I am increasingly wondering if some of these mystery injuries aren't as genuine or as extreme as suggested and are being used to cover for disciplinary indiscretions etc etc
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

jacko wrote: Don't agree about deano. He had a good first half but he was as good as on his own in the second half. The passing was so bad they didn't find him again. He really needs a bit of pace next. It's no surprise that he looks good when sears is with him.

Ashton gave up. they were all poor though.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

the back up aint good enough!! upson injured and it all goes tits up, gabbidon is a massive blow, ferdinand is far from being a complete player, spector aint nothing more than championship material as far as i'm concerned.

pantsil is crap, mcartney going off just about buggered it up.

cole aint good enough, we can't rely on ashton ALL the time!!

mullins aint ever going to get near the team when parker and dyer are fit, also i think collison is head shoulders above most of the youth yet he hasnt had a start yet.

we need to get players in the summer that are capable of holding their own in the premier league when we get injuries if we are going to compete for europe otherwise forget about it!!