Sunderland 2 West Ham Utd 1 (29/03/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

TrickyDicky

Re: Sunderland v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by TrickyDicky »

Up the Junction wrote: Here's hoping. It does seem strange that he is the only one of the much-vaunted trio not to get a sniff yet.
yeah i agree, maybe cause parker has come back recently, i think sears and tomkins have only got the nod really because of injuries, mullins could proberly do with a rest so i think its an ideal time to give jack a go.

I know where Curbs is coming from, he would rather play experienced players rather than youngsters, but now we are 10th and not going nowhere really, why not give them a chance and i think Curbs will be considering it even more now.

the players are really knacked from the match apparently which is proberly due to the small depth lately.
Longneck'd Iron

Post by Longneck'd Iron »

Just got back. Terrible 2nd half (injuries aside). I know Noble was playing out of position, but it was his worse game to date. Greens kicking was more akin to David James'.
Our fans mood echoed that of the team, ok 1st half, dead 2nd
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

shades of that gerrard, cup final that goal.

2 years on, not important i know but we never learn. Headbanger
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

Awful header by anton...
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

hornsey wrote:shades of that gerrard, cup final that goal.

2 years on, not important i know but we never learn. Headbanger
Reid took it well though. We looked a bit shaky to be honest.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

bluebutterfly wrote: Did you moan when Sears scored a couple of games ago.

The youngsters have done well imo
:think:
He was being sarcastic.
mutu_20

Post by mutu_20 »

devostash wrote: 1 Lucas Neill not a geat season this year but last year a rock..
Good signing undoubtedly, not taking into account wages
2 Luis Boa Morte was a waste but we were desperate and the prem teams agents knew it.
So just because we we desperate, it makes it ok to buy *****? Guy has been abysmal, terrible signing.
3 Matthew Upson been superb this season
Decent/good signing. Been good this season.
4 Nigel Quashie MIA? Very poor signing we know.
Yep, terrible.
5 Calumn Davenport Not bad and only signed due to the injury to Upson in his first game.
Why was this guy necessarry? Since he hasn't played, goes down as a bad signing.
6 Kepa Blanco Desperate loan signing no other options available.
I've no problem with this since it was a loan therefore not wasting money. Was actually ok when he played.
7 Scott Parker Still think he can be a huge player for us next year
On the face of it, a pretty bad signing since the guy has always been injured. The guy has a history of being injury prone which makes it even worse. Only salvaged by the fact that he's actually got genuine qualities. IF he can stay fit he'll be a real asset, but at the moment he's been a huge disappointment.
8 Craig Bellamy Looked good before his injury will link well with Ashton.
Injured for practically the whole season. He's got a history of injuries. Bad signing so far.
9 Julien Faubert Not sure jury out not had time to bed into the Prem.
I actually think this guy is ok, but again: Big money signing, huge disappointment so far.
10 Kieron Dyer Was looking very good until that mistimed challenge from the lower league hacker..
HUGE history of injuries which made it a completely insane signing to begin with. Leg break couldn't have been predicted, but I would be pretty convinced his injuries would have hampered him anyway. Disappointment.
11 Freddie Ljungberg Starting to look better but hope the 80k a week wages are bull..
Always thought he was pretty one dimensional, he's shown that this season although he definitely has got his act together recently. Still he was injury prone at Arsenal and Curbs should have known better. Average signing/
12 Henri Camara Desperation again waste of Money I would say.

See Luis Boa Morte, only X10 worse. Completely insane signing.
13 Nobby Solano. Been a good signing a couple of important goals for a bit player..
Actually an ok signing. Should play more.
Curbs signings have not been bad. We have to remember we lost some big players in the summer Tevez. Skeletor, Joker and harewood. Two of which were our most creative players. Curbs has indeed done well with what he has available to him.. We did buy players with shoddy injury records yes but I can't believe it was easy selling West Ham to players last summer Tevez saga 'n' all. this summer I feel it may be easier with a midtable finish and a club with some stability.. So Curbs out must be a big no no...
Sorry but thats just hilairiously wrong. I count 2 signings who have actually been proper sucesses, Neil and Upson. A couple of so-so's (not really done anything yet, have potential for next season) and the rest are complete flops who have contributed nothing since they've been here. Not bad? Not for me.

Now, he's done well in getting us to this position in the league (albeit with terrible football) but his signings by and large have been akin to throwning money down a well. I wouldn't trust him to go down the shops to buy a pint of milk, let alone be entrusted with millions to buy players who can take us to the next level.
FDiMcA
teh
Location: Locked in a cellar, not sure where but I can smell hotdogs

Post by FDiMcA »

devostash wrote: Curbs ..............his scouting network doesn't seem to venture outside of our shores.

Nani ...............I was left very much unconvinced with his appointment.

But hey Rome wasn't built in a day and hopefully the board are in long term

Getting rid of the manager will only cause instability and has proven in other clubs to be a bad policy.
:thup:

The following gets a bit ranty (its me) and is not aimed directly at you Tash.
Mucho respect to you.

Wahey I would qualify Curbs scouting further saying it dosent even venture to Scotland or the Championship. I half-seriously think he scouts on MoTD. But Im a faultfinding pesimist

Nani - its so left field so unconvincing (the dude was working in putting together the Italian Motor Show until he married the Brescia owners daughter and got the job we just took him from - with the father-out-laws blessing!)
It must be genius. Nani is so odd it reminds me of Wenger WHO! joining Arsenal - Oh how we laughed. But Im a hapless optimist

Rome was not built in a day. In fact they are still building it. (puts finger tips together and arches hands while raising eyebrow). The board are in long term, but the window of opportunity is not long term.
When we got promoted (behind Newcastle) the Premiership was formed and since then (Harry and Pardew being the exceptions) only 5 clubs have come close to winning the FACup.
The same 5 teams have ownership of the top 5 league places.

With mega money coming in at Citeh, Villa, and maybe Newcastle. Sound stewardship like that exhibited at Birmingham is no longer enough. Blackburn and their trust fund, Pompey and their small time Russian have no hope. Spurs backers might be panicking and upping their investment (we will see this summer).

The window IMHO is closing. Bar a QPR scale intervention, if West Hams owners do not establish West Ham in Europe within 2 seasons, they will most likley be faced with not just a unassailable top 5, but an unassaialble top 7.

They will be faced with havwe have to ing perpetually dramatically lower income than the Euro qualifying clubs. With those big 7 clubs carrying on building their own empires, we will be locked; out Barbarians at the gate. Cashed up but still not feasting at the private orgy. The orgy that our owners bought West Ham to gain admission to.

If we dont pull our fingers out - we will be Middelsborough.
This may be better than being a yo-yo club, but it is not what the current owners had in mind.

Sounds crazy doesnt it, But Everton in the FA Cup and Champions League aside there are only 4 clubs doing owt. So Everton (one of the traditional big 7) makes 5 clubs in a league of their own. Objective fact.

Villa - Spurs - Citeh also members of the traditional (post war) big 7 now all have rich owners and managers with European success.
Add one from Newcastle, Pompey, and Blackburn to the mix, and thats at least 4 clubs looking to secure and then consolidate a position behind the big 5.

If we dont get our skates on the gates of Rome will be shut bar the sort of spending Abramovich made.
Jack Walker gatecrashed the tiltle some years back. He wouldnt be bale to these days. Times changed and they are changing even further in that direction.

----P.S. It has been proven that keeping (euro Cup Winner) Fergie at Man U was sensible but directors like Bobs Charlton could see what Fergie was doing. It has been proven that knee-jerk sacking Alardyce was at least in the short run a mistake.
On the flip side Arsenal sacked Rioch fast which was correct,and England should have sacked McClaren earlier.

Understandably all managers tell the press "my mate needed more time" as it helps them to get it themsleves.
Often they do need time. But I think history is ambivelent on that.

Chamberlain gave Hitler too much time to arm,
Reagan gave Gorbachev time to disarm
Kinnock was given too long by Labour,
Hague was not given long enough by the Torries.

Cleese axed Fawlty Towers fast and in good time
Only Fools and Horses was given too long
Roeder got too long,
Time was up for Billy Bonds and (due to circumstances) Macari in time.

I accept some people believe Curbishley should be given longer.
I wont accept as a reason "he needs more time just because its to early to judge him"
If people think his transfers and tactics are good they should say why.

The usual reasons seem to be - 1) because Tevez kept us up after Curbs had further damaged our position, and 2) - because after buying all those experienced players and playing in a league that includes all time rubbish like Derby we are 10th chasing 11th.

Now I accpet these are 2 strong points in favour of Curbishley but I still ask

What about his transfers and tactics, whyb does anyone think his transfers and tactics will get us in to Europe?
Sknk Hater

Post by Sknk Hater »

Sknk Hater wrote:
Get your money on 2.1 to Sunderland. you heard it here first.

Just got in I told you so didn't I.
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt
Has liked: 1 like

Post by bluebutterfly »

alf git wrote: :think:
He was being sarcastic.
I know that now.

Other half has just got in from the game and said we were crap
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

watching on tape delay not knowing the score i thought that we did very well in the first half.

read the KUMB match report and hafta agree.

crap second half..

however, and i will temper this with hindsight...

the mackems were playing as though their entire lives depended upon the result which it kind of did..

a coat of pain and a fantastic goal keeping save we were up.

no way back for them really...

green did well at what he was expected lots of high balls came good 7
neill decent and with the moving around back and forth can't blame him. poor defending on the winning goal though, not tight enough 6
ferdinand did well enough didn't get caught out lots of winning headers but lucky not to get punished for fouls committed. 7
spector did very well. has limited ability but was in no way at fault for either goal need to replay the first one 7 (joey are you watching ?) players going to the near post left jones free for a tap in. 7
mccartney did very well have to grade him on first half only 7
ljunberg did very well good skills tracked back did all that was asked of him until stretchered off don't expect to see him any more this year 7
parker is he better than mullins ? i don't think so,. 7 million ? good at what he does but to me i need more. 6
mullins tough game today in the first half bossed the midfield but non existent in the second 6
noble too much to ask for him to play wide left shows how ***** boa morte really is 5
cole like a boa morte with moments of brilliance not a top table premiership striker 6
ashton showed glimpses especially with the ball to cole who might have score but left alone in the second half due to injury seemingly slowing down cole and the two of them not being able to co-exist 6

subs: pantsil decent nothing more 6
solano less than productive 5
tokmins nothing to write home about but hey the kid is 19 6
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

I thought we would of been good for a point. We did hit the post and come close to scoring on a few other occasions. Granted Sunderland had more of the ball in the 2nd half but they didn't do much with it. Thought we looked class going forward in the 1st half.

Ljungberg has been playing so well recently so him getting injured is a big blow. To be honest the injury situation got out of hand a while back and I can't remember any team ever having as many injuries as we've had this season. McCartney (going to miss him if he's done his hamstring bad), Cole, Ljungberg and Pantsil (who should be alright) all injured today with Faubert and Etherington unlikey to play again this season to "get them in shape for pre-season".

We had to change our back four twice during the game today which was never going to help and we ended the game with 10 man due to injuries.
What people tend to forget is that the 5 mins is a MINIMUM amount of time to be added on. This always gets overlooked.
Most people realise that but what reason was there for the extra 25/30 seconds in injury time? He should of blown up as soon as the ball went out of play for the throw in. I thought the ref was crap today and we were never going to get anything out of him. Who was the ref by the way?
scottish_hammer

Post by scottish_hammer »

we were all over them till they scored there 1st that knocked the stuffing out of us :(
annoyed that we didnt seem to care on the pitch but was still a good turn out and was a fun day all round :crest:
MackemLad

Post by MackemLad »

scottish_hammer wrote:we were all over them till they scored there 1st that knocked the stuffing out of us :(
annoyed that we didnt seem to care on the pitch but was still a good day all round :crest:
You enjoy your trip then mate?

How did you rate the SOL atmosphere?
scottish_hammer

Post by scottish_hammer »

You enjoy your trip then mate?

How did you rate the SOL atmosphere?[/quote]

yeh thought it was one of the better away trips but as i cant get to much then i wount know about alot of outher grounds but was one of the good ones ive been to :thup:
and what about deano`s attempted in the 1st half :D
Last edited by scottish_hammer on Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MackemLad

Post by MackemLad »

scottish_hammer wrote:You enjoy your trip then mate?

How did you rate the SOL atmosphere?
yeh thought it was one of the better away trips but as i cant get to much then i wount know about alot of outher grounds but was one of the good ones ive been to :thup:
and what about deano`s attempted in te 1st half :D[/quote]

Ashton was ok like but had a bit of a quiet game really, as with most 'names' in football i always seem to expect more. Probably down to the hype.
JoeySweets

Post by JoeySweets »

'ouston 'ammer wrote:watching on tape delay not knowing the score i thought that we did very well in the first half.

read the KUMB match report and hafta agree.

crap second half..

however, and i will temper this with hindsight...

the mackems were playing as though their entire lives depended upon the result which it kind of did..

a coat of pain and a fantastic goal keeping save we were up.

no way back for them really...

green did well at what he was expected lots of high balls came good 7
neill decent and with the moving around back and forth can't blame him. poor defending on the winning goal though, not tight enough 6
ferdinand did well enough didn't get caught out lots of winning headers but lucky not to get punished for fouls committed. 7
spector did very well. has limited ability but was in no way at fault for either goal need to replay the first one 7 (joey are you watching ?) players going to the near post left jones free for a tap in. 7
mccartney did very well have to grade him on first half only 7
ljunberg did very well good skills tracked back did all that was asked of him until stretchered off don't expect to see him any more this year 7
parker is he better than mullins ? i don't think so,. 7 million ? good at what he does but to me i need more. 6
mullins tough game today in the first half bossed the midfield but non existent in the second 6
noble too much to ask for him to play wide left shows how ***** boa morte really is 5
cole like a boa morte with moments of brilliance not a top table premiership striker 6
ashton showed glimpses especially with the ball to cole who might have score but left alone in the second half due to injury seemingly slowing down cole and the two of them not being able to co-exist 6

subs: pantsil decent nothing more 6
solano less than productive 5
tokmins nothing to write home about but hey the kid is 19 6
no, I don't get Setanta Sports, but I figured the game would have been online..
that's good to know about Spector and now for sure he'll get his opportunity, probably until the end of the season with everyone who is out. I'm looking for him to finish strong.

Speaking of the game, anytime you lose that late it has got to be a dissapointment reguardless of what happened previously, even if the other team deserved it, It's still in Injury time and a blow to the team.

All I can say is maybe Andy Reid saw the topic calling him a Fat Ass.

I
giblet
Has liked: 1 like

Post by giblet »

Bitterly disappointed.

To be shown up by those in-breds.

Making fools of us.

Nevertheless, it is an inescapable fact that the US spelling of Aluminum is technically more correct than Aluminium.

simon hammer wrote: Aluminium.
nzhammer

Post by nzhammer »

watched the game here on sky, it was great to see pop robson in the stadium, i'm reckon he has more hair now than he did went he played for us in the 70's.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Harveys_HammersLH wrote:. I thought the ref was crap today and we were never going to get anything out of him. Who was the ref by the way?
Andre Mariner, not one of the better Refs in my opinion & the whistle simply should have been blown before the Goal..