Alan Curbishley

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Are you happy with the way West Ham play under Alan Curbishley?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:09 am

yes
54%
no
46%

Total votes: 885

iloveyoudailly

Re: WEST Ham fans deserve better than Curbishley and his dull, d

Post by iloveyoudailly »

pennywisepeter wrote:To be fair, this is from the 'Hatchet Man' column, it's designed to be crude and controversial. It's the journalistic equivalent of Talksport.
I wouldn't mind that at all if it also contained an ounce of logic. To me, this just looks like vulgar abuse from a 'journalist' who hates West Ham with a passion.
billybondsballbag
MILF lover
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by billybondsballbag »

Chelsea fans can't grumble. We gave them a 25 minute, three goal head-start as well, and failed to use the advantage when they went down to ten men. Never let it be said that we're not equally charitable.
Jameslegend
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Jameslegend »

Ha Ha Ha Gnome :lol: :thup: :lol:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Hammers analysis: Write? Curbishley got it wrong!

Post by cockney hammer »

Hammers analysis: Write? Curbishley got it wrong!
By Rob Pritchard

HERE'S a question. Just how many public relations gaffes can Alan Curbishley make before he understands exactly how the national press works?

Earlier this season, the West Ham manager blamed the media for having "agendas" against the Irons when none existed.

Last week, as the whole world knows, the Hammers boss made a complete faux pas by writing in his weekly newspaper column that he would "raise a glass" if Manchester United won the Premier League title.

Curbishley went on to label United boss and old pal Sir Alex Ferguson "Mr Amazing", claiming it would be a "great injustice" if Fergie's men did not retain the championship.

Maybe so, but how naïve must you be to write such thoughts in a national newspaper just a week before your own team is taking on the Red Devils in a pivotal title-decider?

Amazingly naïve is the answer, especially for a man who has managed at the highest level - and therefore dealt with the press - for nearly two decades.

Quite what Curbishley was trying to prove is a mystery.

Yes, everyone knows he has great respect for Fergie, a man he has been close to throughout his managerial career, but there is absolutely no need to remind everyone of that fact just days before your team is taking on United.

Chelsea manager Avram Grant, while not questioning Curbishley's integrity, was right to say that the Irons boss was "wrong" to share such thoughts.

Whoever advises Curbishley should have known full well that the tabloids would get hold of those comments and rip them - and the man himself - to shreds.

To compound his error, the Irons manager decided to dodge the post-match press conference at Old Trafford, instead sending assistant Mervyn Day to face the music following Saturday's 4-1 defeat.

Poor Day, a stand-up man, was forced to field searching questions about Curbishley's column, a column he did not write.

It was completely unfair, but perhaps not surprising when you look at the manager's track record of blaming the press when things go wrong.

Last January, having seen his team beat Brighton in an FA Cup tie, Curbishley launched into a two-minute rant against the media.

Next came the "agendas" accusation, and then Saturday's latest debacle.

One hopes Curbishley will learn how to play the media game in time for next season, when more searching questions will surely be asked if his team do not perform. Sadly I doubt he will.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Total likes: 143 likes

hammers fan back our article from a newcastle site

Post by cockney hammer »

FootyMAD > Newcastle United Mad > Latest > Toon News

Hammers Fans Back Our Article!
By Nu Mad

Monday, 5th May 2008
We published an article yesterday with the headline "Heartless West Ham A Disgrace", expecting stick from Hammers fans. But 95% said they agreed with the article.

This was just one of many e-mails we received:

Article continues below

Couldn''t agree more with your article about Curbishley. The guy is a soppy prat and never should have got the job in the first place.

His comments were totally inappropriate, badly timed, and just wrong. He should hang his head in shame.

I am a West Ham fan and couldn''t believe it when I read what he said. The only thing that stunned me more was when on Sky, before the Man Utd game, they spoke to West Ham fans at the match, and a good 50% of them wanted us to lose, just to stop Chelsea winning the title.

Those fans aren''t fit to wear the shirt or call themselves true West Ham fans. I want us to win every game, no matter who we play or the consequences of us winning on other clubs.

Yesterday was a really, really sad day for my club, and I can only apologise for Curbishley''s and some of our fans'' comments.

They should all be given the boot.

Cheers,

Ollie

YESTERDAY'S ARTICLE ...

Well ... West Ham boss Alan Curbishley got his wish. He said he wanted Manchester United to win the Premiership, and boy did he set them on their way with team tactics that made a mockery of the great name of the London club.

Ten-man Manchester United slipped into a low gear to cuise towards the Premier League title with a clinical destruction of a West Ham side that had other things on their mind.

Victory at Wigan next Sunday will confirm Sir Alex Ferguson's men as champions but the coronation may come even earlier as Chelsea will face a far tougher confrontation at Newcastle than the Hammers put up at Old Trafford.

Anyone would have thought the first-half dismissal of Nani would spark a West Ham revival ... but forget it ... Curbishley sent his men out for 'damage limitation' and had one aim, and that was to keep the score below double figures.

SKY TV reporter Andy Gray had to choose his words very carefully as he laid into Curbishley for turning the end of season showdown into a farce.

The FA "will look very closely" at Accrington's 2-0 defeat by Bury on Saturday after some bookmakers stopped taking bets on the match having seen "an unusual amount of money" being placed.

But I know what game I'd be "probing".
iloveyoudailly

Re: Hammers analysis: Write? Curbishley got it wrong!

Post by iloveyoudailly »

Didn't know Curbishley had a column in the papers. :? The article is right though, he's quite naive with the media, doesn't really know what to say to them.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

You can't teach an old dog new tricks.......(or tactics) (or training methods)
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Re: hammers fan back our article from a newcastle site

Post by davids cross »

cockney hammer wrote:FootyMAD > Newcastle United Mad > Latest > Toon News
"Heartless West Ham A Disgrace"
As opposed to their magnificent performance at Old Trafford in January.

Man Utd 6
Newcastle 0

:lol: :lol:
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Man Utd have scored 78 goals this season. Of those just under 1/7th (11) were scored against Newcastle. :lol:

Their team/club has been a shining example of commitment and all that is good and proper about the game this year haven't they. :think: Have they f**k. Those is glass houses...
Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Gnome »

I shouldn't take any credit for that one - it was too easy :D
D&G

Post by D&G »

I used to love the Mail but there obsession with the Royal family and Diana turned me off years ago. Now they seem to have a new obsession.......
hammerheadjim
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by hammerheadjim »

I know we were **** but how about we had a team full of reserves playing against the best team in europe. Perhaps people forget this? :?
iloveyoudailly

Post by iloveyoudailly »

D&G wrote:I used to love the Mail but there obsession with the Royal family and Diana turned me off years ago.
I'm guessing you're not an Al-Fayed fan then? :wink:
ButterflyBoy

Post by ButterflyBoy »

100% of the games won by Derby in the league this season have been against the toons

14% of the goals shipped by Man U at OT in the league this season were scored by West Ham.

Since KK took over the toons haven't beaten a single top ten side
hammerfromtheeast

Post by hammerfromtheeast »

Headbanger
b*llocks what a bunch of hypocrites
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

cockney hammer wrote:Earlier this season, the West Ham manager blamed the media for having "agendas" against the Irons when none existed.
I think there are/were a handful of journos who were quite clearly (and are still in some cases) following an anti-WHU agenda, Rob.
Adi Cokers Boots

Post by Adi Cokers Boots »

Up the Junction wrote: I think there are/were a handful of journos who were quite clearly (and are still in some cases) following an anti-WHU agenda, Rob.
A certain c*nt Oliver Holt for starters.
ironworks41

Post by ironworks41 »

Up the Junction wrote: I think there are/were a handful of journos who were quite clearly (and are still in some cases) following an anti-WHU agenda, Rob.

The Press have scant regard for the truth,and as someone once said, you should never cross someone who buys there ink in barrels.They have all the cards and will play them as they seem fit.
A few years ago,in a previous existence I was responsible,amongst other things, for dealing with the Media for a subsidiary of P&O,.One of our guys was involved in a nasty accident and was carted off to Hospital.I spent the next few hours fending off the Press,until I had some facts and told them to ring back in two hours.When it was established our bloke had sustained a broken leg they were most disappointed,seems that the ambulance chasers were forecasting at least one fatality and being P&O it would be news.
West Ham seemed to have incurred the wrath of the Press on several counts,
1) Buying two South American superstars,the temerity,and nobody told them.
2)The Injunction,having had their 'fox' shot,they needed to find another.
3)Failing to get us to lose points over the Tevez affair
4)Escaping relegation when they said it was impossible.
5) Having money,we are supposed to doff our caps and say thanks guv,when we get some other teams cast offs.

Am pretty sure there must be more,or how else did Curbishley go from being everyones favourite for the England job,to someone who could'nt manage a whelk stall.
Incidentally check the date of Curbs comments re hoping Man U winning the title,pretty sure its not current.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Re: Alan Curbishley

Post by Oldun »

Once again on the official website its Day talking about injuries ahead of Sundays game and not Curbs ,has he gone?
goggles

Re: Alan Curbishley

Post by goggles »

OLDUN wrote:Once again on the official website its Day talking about injuries ahead of Sundays game and not Curbs ,has he gone?
I know it does seem a bit strange :eh: