West Ham Utd 2 Wigan Ath 1 (16/08/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Dan1326
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Wigan Ath: match thread

Post by Dan1326 »

Why does the clown curbishley insist on playing the long ball every time Green has the ball
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Dan1326 wrote:Why does the clown curbishley insist on playing the long ball every time Green has the ball
:lol: Right...
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Dan1326 wrote:Why does the clown curbishley insist on playing the long ball every time Green has the ball
Perhaps it was because Wigan were pressing the back line hard every time Green tried to roll the ball out to them.....
Porfirio wrote:All of the comments about today's game seem to come down to one thing - fitness.

Midfield overrun (Parker and Noble), Etherington disappearing and it all getting worse as the game wore on.

Has our new medical staff arrived too late to have an impact?
Nothing to do with the medical team - they just had superior athletes playing for them - natural physical superiority.......... no one suggests that the bigger/quicker Faubert/Cole/Davenport etc disappeared from the game.....only the small/slighter/slower players.
IIIronss

Post by IIIronss »

It was clear we needed a midfield engine in their, like they had Palacios, we need someone like Appiah or NRC. :wink:

Someone who for 90 mins can surge forward from midfield.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Watched on tape delay not knowing the result even thought the poxy SSN tried hard to ruin it after the Scallies inept performance against Sunderland, by showing the results but I managed a LALALALALALALALAAAAAA and changed channels immediately !!

:evil:

Anyway, thought that Ashton took his goals very well, especially the first, but for fooks sake Deano, you CAN'T take a free kick to save your life.

The corners were shocking. i don't care that we scored from one and almost from the other, both were down to pee poor defending rather than superb corners.

Greeny ~ did well with his handling, I thought the one time he made a bit of a cock up was more having yet another different central defender in front of him. 1 good save, did enough ~ 7
Behrami ~ well not decent enough defending consistently, hopefully will improve ~ 6
Upson ~ usual competent self ~ 7
Davenport ~ prone to making daft decisions but solid other than two brain farts ~ 6.5
Neill ~ beaten for pace many times, can't really blame him he ain't a left back and that's what he's being rated on ~ 6.5
Faubert ~ I certainly hope he picks it up, his crosses are appalling good pace, tracked back ~ 6
Parker ~ poor not up to the task made ONE forward pass ~ 5
Noble ~ not sure if he is playing to instructions or going through a bad spell ~ 6
Etherington ~ started well but after getting clattered by Parker disappeared ~ 6
Ashton ~ two well taken goals, was in the running until he hurt himself ballooning the ball into Row Z ~ 7.5
Cole ~ motm only because of his work rate and THREE brilliant defensive plays ~ couldn't hit a bovines arse with a musical instrument ~ 8

Sears ~ did okay, looked full of running but wasn't really on long enough to earn a full rating ~ 6
Mullins ~ ditto ~ 6
LBM ~ ditto ~ 6

Curbishley ~ up to half time 7.5 ~ early doors team was obviously nervous but started well
afte rthe second half ~ piss poor ~ if we EVER learn to stop playing the ball back from our opponents half to Green only for him to pound it forward and for us to have a 6'4 forward who never managed to win the ball consistently !!! ~ 5.

I would rather the player who is in the opponents half lump the ball forward into the opponents box rahter than it go back to Green who manages to get it to the half way line or just over.. If we are just going to give the ball to the opponent give it to them in their own box and squeeze them up rather than have Green lump it up and them take possession just inside their own half. We concede at LEAST 45 yards this way. If we can't play our way out of it the give them a goal kick for fcuks sake.
best tever

Post by best tever »

Greeny ~ steady,good handling-
Behrami ~ looks like a real class signing-
Upson ~defensive masterclass
Davenport ~ good prove to be a important first team member ,if he carries on playing aswell
Neill ~ better than he normally is
Faubert ~ looking lively,final ball and shooting need work
Parker ~ gave the ball away far to much
Noble ~ gave the ball away far to much
Etherington ~ played ok
Ashton ~excellent,shame he is injured Headbanger
Cole ~ good

Sears ~ n/a
Mullins ~n/a
LBM ~ n/a

overall it was a good three points,as long as we can keep deano fit ,then we have a chance to do well this season,behrami looks like a bargain.Bring on Satay on sunday.COYI
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Must admit i was wrong about Fauberts ball for our opener...better than i thought :clap:
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

Noble and Parker looked excellent in the first half, much less so in the second. Faubert and Etherington looked good at the start and both faded dramatically in the second half. That strikes me as a question of fitness. Couple that with Ashton's injury and the 9 we had unavailable and I'd say our new medical team has a lot of work to do.

Cole worked his socks off and looks just as good (if not better) than Heskey (who's in the England squad) and Upson and Green looked class. I thought Curbs handled the game well tactically and made the right team selection and changes, but he must be hoping that his West Ham career isn't going to be permanently blighted by what goes on in the treatment room
IG8Hammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by IG8Hammer »

I correctly predicted the score. 8-)

How did Behrami play? I didn't see much of him, but I assume he did well enough to fill Paintsil's boots?
Longers5

Carlton Cole...

Post by Longers5 »

is our best defender! :D
Stopped about six attacks today. So to the person behind me slating him, you're an idiot. Don't bother coming,
horsey

Post by horsey »

there are always some posatives from the game....

heres one of them..

Deano's first goal of the season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR9hv32GCWY
Southend Hammer

Post by Southend Hammer »

Maybe it is just me but I thought Green had a very mediocre game. He hardly ever came out for the ball and that puts a lot of pressure on the defence. He definitely doesn't dominate the box the way he should.
Neill needs to be placed on the bench as soon as possible.
Davenport and Upson had good games.
Behrami and Faubert show promise.
Parker & Noble will have much better second halves than they had today.
Ashton is class, was impressed with Sears when he came on.Cole had a good game.
crawfish

Post by crawfish »

In the end the only thing that matters is the W. I think we got a little bit spoiled scoring 2 goals in the first 10 minutes. The way people are carrying on, you'd think that the pace should have been kept up for the entire 90 minutes with the end result being 18-0. Let's be honest, that second goal was more about Wigan's inept defending, than our offensive prowess.

Second half...who really changed strategy Curbs or Wigan? Our midfield completely disappeared and their offense got very aggressive. On the bright side, at least we know we can successfully defend goal for the last 40 of 45 minutes.

I think Faubert's enthusiasm for trying to score, coupled with WH's desperation in the 2nd half, may have caused him to make some poor decisions that caused his shots to land in the stands rather than in the goal. It's only the first game, so that should improve.

A win is a win. In a week no one will give a sh*t.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

libero wrote:Noble and Parker looked excellent in the first half,
of course all a matter of opinions and we're all entitled etc. etc.

Parker, NEVER excellent. can't pass a ball forward, only ONE pass that I saw was a penetrating pass. I dunno if it is manager's instructions or what. Noble is a shell of himself.

People slate Mullins. Parker does nothing more and people cream their pants.

He won't last the season the way he plays and that's no slight on him, he just throws his body in. Will get hurt more often than not imho. (an opinions don't come much more 'umble than mine, I will admit).

He's a good player, but many, many more in the BPL are a LOT better. I can't understand the accolades that he is "motm" "best player we have" "brilliant imho" ~ he offers nothing more than an average centre midfield player with no range (as we say over here about centre fielders in baseball).

Still 3 points in the bag, I can't complain about that.

I would wonder what the Scallies are saying on their message boards ~ they were completely outplayed in the first half, yet the SSN stats had it 53-47% Liverpool. Just where the f*** do they get their stats ??

Second half though, Torres was very good, Robbie Keane was *****, and Alonso was unlucky not to score from about 250 yards !! John Daly would have been proud to get the ball THAT close to the pin !!!
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Good to get 3 points obviously....however it is very much the same as last year. We take the lead, then lose concentration and concede a stupid goal and then play negative and sit back on a 1 goal lead for 40 minutes. I thought we were pretty ****ing lucky to win.
Northern Paulo
Punster extraordinaire

Post by Northern Paulo »

crawfish wrote:In the end the only thing that matters is the W. I think we got a little bit spoiled scoring 2 goals in the first 10 minutes. The way people are carrying on, you'd think that the pace should have been kept up for the entire 90 minutes with the end result being 18-0. Let's be honest, that second goal was more about Wigan's inept defending, than our offensive prowess.

Second half...who really changed strategy Curbs or Wigan? Our midfield completely disappeared and their offense got very aggressive. On the bright side, at least we know we can successfully defend goal for the last 40 of 45 minutes.

I think Faubert's enthusiasm for trying to score, coupled with WH's desperation in the 2nd half, may have caused him to make some poor decisions that caused his shots to land in the stands rather than in the goal. It's only the first game, so that should improve.

A win is a win. In a week no one will give a sh*t.
Thats the best way of looking at the first game of the season imo, i.e. its the result which is more important. It'll be another couple of games before we can really get any real idication as to whether we've improved or not to any extent.
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by upton girlie »

Forget all this match report & personal opinions nonsense...Page 37 of the programme is all that matters after our winning result today :D
pantsil_legend

Post by pantsil_legend »

I have just watched the match (admittedly only on Football First), but I can't understand the occassional negativity after this game. Yes, Wigan were on top the 2nd half but this was almost entirely down to the large physical presence of Palacios. I say more positives than negatives overall.

+
Faubert played well, IMO, and will only get better
Behrami did OK but I think him and Faubert will link up well this year
Ashton was a different class until his injury
Davenport looked suprisingly good having not playea a competitive match for so long
Cole makes a decent CB :D

-
Neill cannot play left back effectively
Etherington needs to be more physical and not 'give up' when he starts getting knocked about
We need to push forwards more from CM, Parker and Noble rarely looked like they would be involved in us scoring

So, overall, not bad. Hopefully Ashton's only got cramp and maybe, finally, we can see him and Bellamy play together. We looked dangerous down the wings today, which we simply weren't last year, and Ashton looks (when not injured) pure class. Looking forward to the City game :thup:
bumpkinhammer

Post by bumpkinhammer »

bumpkinhammer wrote:In what minute will the first Boo's of the season be heard from West Ham 'supporters' aimed at one of our own players?
Half time whistle? or LBMs first touch?
According to the other thread on LBM it was before his first touch but when he ran on as sub.
Now he aint my favourite player but FFS!!
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

I was happy enough with yesterday to be honest. Yeah we were poor in the second half but for the first game off the season and against a team we've struggled against recently I'll certainly take the three points.