Poll: the final four

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The new manager - get:

Poll ended at Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Slaven Bilic
50%
Roberto Donadoni
14%
Michael Laudrup
23%
Gianfranco Zola
13%

Total votes: 514

ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Re: Poll: the final four

Post by ageing hammer »

Sloop John B wrote: Seems so... in dispute with former club over contract...and wanting to bring lots of own back room staff seem to have killed his chances...not sure how true that is, but that's the rumours/reasons listed around these pages. :think:
Thanks for the info mate. I would think any top class manager would want to bring in his own tried and trusted back room staff wouldn't you. Let's face it the ones we have at present leave a lot to be desired. If the board use that as an excuse to not bring in the only real outstanding candidate then this 5 year plan of becoming a top club is pie in the sky. :think:
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

the more i am reading about the 'four' the more i am leaning towards Laudrup,seems to have a MUCH greater pedigree in club management compared to the other two.

still whoever gets the job will get my full support until proved useless!
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Spend a hell of a lot of money ( whilst berating others for doing so ) and achieved the result of keeping Sunderland up.

Out of interest, genuinely, what makes Keane a good manager?[/quote]

Would you like to tell him he's not? :think:[/quote]

No i thought i'd give him your PM address and tell him you thought he fights like a girl

....that or i could put your Mrs mobile number on a text to Alan Pardew when you're out of town
:D :lol:
I would love it love it if you gave Keano my PM address, I have been trying to contact him for ages to get my son a trial.

As for Pardew, well last time I told him about a highly rated player called Kevin Doyle that I had watched numerous times and that he was good enough for West Ham (then in the championship) and he could be bought for about 200K. He said thanks for the info but was probably just being polite and never followed it up. Soon after Reading snapped him up. Now he is banging in goals for Ireland and partnering Robbie Keane. If you are texting him tell I told you so.
Last edited by ageing hammer on Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DutchIron

Post by DutchIron »

Please no Italian(s)!!! :x We need amusement, not 6/7 defenders in the line-up!!

Bilic or Laudrup :raver:
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

Up the Junction wrote: In that link he does nothing of the sort (look beyond the misleading headline). Quite the opposite, in fact.
I took the quote...

The final decision I will make in the next few days. But the chances are quite high

...as reading that as things stand right now it looks like he is going to Spartak Moscow, although if things go well today then he may have a rethink because London might be better for his family. He speaks about the ambition at Spartak for them to be the best while playing attacking football and that ambition may not be matched by our board. If they can combine that with a better pay packet for him, more transfer funds to meet their expectations and less boardroom interference, especially considering that Russian football is the flavour of the month, I can see that offer being more attractive. Which was my main reason for posting the article - misleading headline or not - because I wasn't sure if everyone was aware that he had an offer on the table from Spartak - I wasn't aware of it.

As I backed him to become our next boss at 11/1, I hope your reading is right though :D
Last edited by Roaring Repka on Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Reporting on SSNs that Laudrup will only talk to WHU if he is offered the job :?

West Ham can't agree to that obviously.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Looks like Zola or Donadoni it is then :|
Cockney Rebel
Location: Isle of Dogs... with Manhattan in the background...

Post by Cockney Rebel »

daniel wrote:Looks like Zola or Donadoni it is then :|
Certainly does, and me thinks Zola will get it...
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

davids cross wrote:Reporting on SSNs that Laudrup will only talk to WHU if he is offered the job :?

West Ham can't agree to that obviously.
eh? how's that work then?
davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

steveyrockstar wrote: eh? how's that work then?
I've no idea but I'm gonna try it :thup: :lol:
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Albie Beck wrote: So that's what the criteria are? "Glamour", "high profile" and "standing in world football (but as a player not a manager)"? We are truly celebrity-obsessed, aren't we. :)

Not all managers are a risk, and not to the extent this under-qualified short-list are. But if you're going to take a risk, then imo Zola and Donadoni, for instance, are not the ones to take it on. But they are "front-runners" because, apparently, they are Italian. And won't rock the boat.
With high profile and standing in world football comes excellent contacts, knowledge of overseas market, enormous respect from fellow pros, and the ability to attract players of a high quality. Massive qualities imo.

Zola (can't speak for Donadoni as I know nothing of him as a player) was also an outstanding, very exciting player and has a good understanding of the premier league.

I think they're viable risks, personally.

What sort of risks did you have in mind then?
Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

As long as we don't get that ex chelscum midget, I'll be happy.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Roaring Repka wrote:The final decision I will make in the next few days. But the chances are quite high
The full quote is as follows:

“But the chances are quite high though I prefer to wait till all matters are settled."

So if what he's saying has been used in the correct context, I think we can probably assume that he is awaiting to hear from other interested parties before making a decision whether or not to move to Russia - in which case, this is a complete non-story!
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Roy Keane.
nobleforengland

Post by nobleforengland »

Looks like Zola may get the job...GREAT :cry: Im thinking Laudrup would be the best choice from what i have read but the lure of Euro footie with Spartak would swing it in there favour i think.
DeadJoshWalkin

Post by DeadJoshWalkin »

Laudrups a bit of a plank if he wont even come for an interview without a firm offer, even if he wasn't interested it would help his case with Spartac to have another potential offer on the table.

Seems like its Zola or Donadoni or wait then...and if we wait Zola will go to Newcastle.

Dona-do-knees claret and blue army it is then. (You can still get 2.7/1 on him by the way).
davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

Bilic is definately not out of the running as of now.................he is still relatively short 4.4 on the betting exchanges, he just wouldn't be that low if he was out of the running. These markets are very sophisticated with very knowledgable people.
Copenhagen Hammer

Post by Copenhagen Hammer »

For the Club's best I would like Bilic as the new manager but for my own selfish reasons I will say Laudrup because Danish TV must have shown 99% of his games at Getafe! So result either way :thup:
afcwhufc

Post by afcwhufc »

I think Zola be great, really hope he gets it. Probs away get slagged off for saying this and me being new :lol: but i think the football chelsea played, when Zola was up front, was good and attacking :oops: but that may be just me, but if Zola was to take that kind of football to UP I would be happy. Only think got me a little confused/worried with Zola is his current role with Italy U21s and whether he would keep that role if made manager of West Ham, personally I'd rather he threw it on and concentrated on West ham. His inexperience doesn't worry me, i think he'd be good as a manger and as said earlier would like West Ham to be the ones that take a chance with him.

Better try and fail than not try and him to be a huge sucess with somebody else
Last edited by afcwhufc on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FurryDice Upton Boy

Post by FurryDice Upton Boy »

i would like Mancini but as he seems to have dropped out of the running altogether would tbh prefer Donadoni over Zola - hopefully a Donadoni / Di Canio partnership might help the style of football played