Liverpool 0 West Ham Utd 0 (01/12/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Reni

Re: Liverpool vs West Ham United : Match Thread

Post by Reni »

davids cross wrote: Do you really think so ? I thought our ball retention was pretty poor to be honest as it was at Sunderland. We give the ball way far too easily. It's a part of the game that could certainly be improved upon away from home.
I not saying it was excellent but I thought it was better than the last couple of seasons against the top four where we would have just hoofed it straight back to opposition from defense, at least we seem to be trying to play it out more intelligentily. I agree ball retention was poor at Sunderland but I thought yesterday was as good as we could have hoped for given our present circumstances and hopefully an area Zola/Clarke will be building on and improving.
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

Just got into work this morning, two hours late.

Hell of a journey home, seemed like it took forever.

Got a parking ticket outside anfield, and pulled by the plod on the way home.

Was definately worth it though. We was superb, Upson and Collins :thup: Really looked like a solid defensive unit. Think Zola was spot on in putting Mullins in, him and Parker were top class.

Cole held the ball up well, but looked very lethargic and lazy in the last 20mins; would have liked to have seen Tristan given the last 20mins or so.

Travelling support was small, but fantastic.

Took my 12year old brother with me last minute, was told tickets were available on the door. They were but no concessions! £38 ****ing quid for a twelve year old!! what a liberty. :crest:

One thing
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

We need to replace Barlton Bole with a decent emergency goal scorer from somewhere, If we do, I can see us getting quite a few 1- 0 ers on the road this year. Why did Zola bring on that othwer useless ****, Boa Morte ?That chance he had near the end when free on the left cried out for a strong shot with the outside of his left foot into the far corner, or a right foot curler into the same corner. Either would have beaten Reina as he was too close to his near post.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Puff Daddy wrote:We need to replace Barlton Bole with a decent emergency goal scorer from somewhere, If we do, I can see us getting quite a few 1- 0 ers on the road this year.
Anyone
I'd rather see us play James Collins in that role at this point!!!

But as Zola seems to have moved away from persisting with his xmas tree formation, to more of a 4-4-2, why not try Bellamy & Sears as a pairing. They could hardly offer less than Cole does
Puff Daddy wrote:Why did Zola bring on that othwer useless c***, Boa Morte ?That chance he had near the end when free on the left cried out for a strong shot with the outside of his left foot into the far corner, or a right foot curler into the same corner. Either would have beaten Reina as he was too close to his near post.
It is a tough call really, imo. No denying it was a shocking miss, but seeing how poor Faubert was, I can understand them bringing LBM on. I'd give him a go from the start in the next game

And just to agree with a few other points. The whole back 4 were excellent last night, as were Parker & Mullins. Behrami was good, as always, but I do feel we'd get more out of him on the right. Bellamy was good, though looked frustrated ath having to play with such a dim-witted player as Cole
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

Barlton Bole :lol:

Is that the fella who talks to friends about transfer deals inside Upton Park.

Love to know who that mole is?

I shall rename him Barlton Mole until we find out who it is :D

I agree with alot on here.If BG sells Green,Upson,Collins,Parker or Bellemy then that will be the last kick in the lower regions.

Players that can bring in a couple of quid Davenport,Faubert & Boa-morte love to see sold.Yeh i know £7.84 dont get much these days :wink:

Anyhow just a pity that Gerrard didnt do that * up air shot in last minute of FA cup final
farmergiles
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by farmergiles »

Full version of Gerrard making a t**t of himself!! Why didn't he do that in Cardiff... (Apologies if already posted but there were 41 pages to check whilst in work...!)

Twas funny to be at the game last night to see it happen live :raver:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Stu/Puff: Last night’s bench was Boa Morte, Noble, Lastuvka, Tristan, Davenport, Collison, Di Michele.

So the only realistic option to bring on as a wide man was LBM. As for why Cole was selected – the options were Di Michele (no thanks) or Tristan (not going to be match fit, hasn’t been a success anywhere for some time).

We drew a tough game 0-0 and performed admirably. I don’t see what there is to complain about.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

One or two players aside, I thought the whole team did us all proud last night. Even Lucas Neill had a good game and actually played a captain's role for once. What I loved seeing was us closing players down, tracking back, defending as a team and crucially, blocking crosses at source. All the basics which other teams do routinely but you don't normally see from West Ham. What did our previous manager's do with them on the training ground ? Probably get the players running thorugh rows of used car tyres, most likely
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

any one posted or got any pics?
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

EvilC wrote:Stu/Puff: Last night’s bench was Boa Morte, Noble, Lastuvka, Tristan, Davenport, Collison, Di Michele.

So the only realistic option to bring on as a wide man was LBM. As for why Cole was selected – the options were Di Michele (no thanks) or Tristan (not going to be match fit, hasn’t been a success anywhere for some time).

We drew a tough game 0-0 and performed admirably. I don’t see what there is to complain about.
Indeed. LBM was the only option, in terms of replacing Faubert. I would have made that change sooner

As for Cole, I agree that, especially with no Sears, we had limited options in terms of a replacement. But even so, I'd have given Tristan at least 10 minutes. He could hardly have been any less effective than Cole

As for complaining, I'm not complaining at all. It was an excellent performance, and not one I thought I'd see under Zola. There are games when you need to park the bus in front of the goal, and we did that very well last night. But despite a very good overall performance, it was blatantly obvious that 2 players (Cole & Faubert) were very much substandard, and there's no point denying that
Kent Bubble Blower

Post by Kent Bubble Blower »

farmergiles wrote:Image
:lol: :lol: :lol:
That was a classic moment!
afcwhufc

Post by afcwhufc »

in defence to cole........a couple of times he made a decent run but bellamy attempted to slot it through by tapping it making it easy for the defence to cut out, am not saying bellamy played bad or cole is good lol, jus that if bellmay played a better pass it may have put cole through and you just never know
afcwhufc

Post by afcwhufc »

Kent Bubble Blower wrote: :lol: :lol:
anyway i can make this my wallpaper :lol: ? am being serious!!

btw what a save from green against bennayoun in the 55th minute, 1 best i seen in a while
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Hilarious! :lol:

As you've all said already....why didn't that happen in the cup final! Headbanger
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Kent Bubble Blower wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sums up Gerrard for me...

Nice to see the 'dying swan' of humiliation, instead of any chase left in him, whilst Behrami strolls away with the ball.

This should now be part of the opening credits on MOTD
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Kent Bubble Blower wrote: :lol: :lol:
That gets funnier every time I see it....

I love how Behrami just walks away with it :lol:
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

Thought I'd have a flick on a Liverpool forum to see how they reacted (red and white kop I think the site is called) and they aren't happy. All moaning that we parked the bus and it's not fair - they ignore the two or three great chances we had of course.

This muggy post made me laugh - someone didn't like being outsung:
what was that gay gay gay chant Westham did when they went Woooooooooo at the end, pissed me off no end i really fancied throwing my trainers at the head of the c**t starting it.
I assume the guy is talking about Twist and Shout - a song by their beloved Beatles :lol:
Last edited by Roaring Repka on Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Hambrosia Stu wrote:Indeed. LBM was the only option, in terms of replacing Faubert. I would have made that change sooner

As for Cole, I agree that, especially with no Sears, we had limited options in terms of a replacement. But even so, I'd have given Tristan at least 10 minutes. He could hardly have been any less effective than Cole

As for complaining, I'm not complaining at all. It was an excellent performance, and not one I thought I'd see under Zola. There are games when you need to park the bus in front of the goal, and we did that very well last night. But despite a very good overall performance, it was blatantly obvious that 2 players (Cole & Faubert) were very much substandard, and there's no point denying that
Stu - my reference to complaining was more in reference to:
Puff Daddy wrote: Why did Zola bring on that othwer useless c***, Boa Morte ?
It is fine to describe them as sub-standard - but if the standard of what is on the bench isn't an improvement, what's the point? Boa Morte is probably no better or worse than Faubert. As for Tristan, its probably only the manager that is qualified to pass judgement as most on here haven't seen him since he was in his pomp at Deportivo several years ago. Again, I refute the idea that Cole is utterly useless - not brilliant last night by a long stretch, went close with the header from a corner, was wrongly ruled offside when he was clean through a couple of times (probably would have missed both times but nevermind :wink: ).
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

Kent Bubble Blower wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:
made even better by Pepperami moonwalking in and casually trotting off with the ball
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

neilbob wrote:
made even better by Pepperami moonwalking in and casually trotting off with the ball
You can just imagine him saying 'Oh cheers, Stevie. I'll have that!'