West Ham Utd 3 Fulham 1 (18/01/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Re: Gianfranco Zola baffled by silent Upton Park

Post by sicknote »

Ozza wrote:Sicknote, what is it with your constant pop at the fans?

Usual Sunday mid day kick off issue, I thought it was ok once we scored the second

BTW what the f*** are we doing playing Fulham at 1.30 on a Sunday anyway?

they are **** at the boleyn ground , and i'll say as i find, the home crowds quick enough to **** the players off they should look at themselves and get behind the team like we do away from home
derek zoolander

Re: West Ham Utd v Fulham: match thread

Post by derek zoolander »

Fionn Kiely wrote:I'm obviously on my own here but I didn't think the crowd were that bad to be honest all things considered. One geezer in the CL provided us with countless laughs. :clap: to whoever he was.
I didnt think it was that bad either and I was sitting pretty much there as well. I do think that the problem is that you get massive sections of the crowd that just dont make any noise at all, while small sections try to.

The bloke your talking about, was he the one that would randomly scream abuse at Bellamy on his own. I heard the nutty **** a couple of times.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Bubbles & Squeaks 77 wrote:
Was he wearing a light blue West Ham jacket and have specs on?
Not sure if it was West Ham but it was a navy jacket and a cap.
derek zoolander wrote: The bloke your talking about, was he the one that would randomly scream abuse at Bellamy on his own. I heard the nutty c*** a couple of times.
Yeah that was him. Gave Bellamy, Sarah Konchesky, Scwartzer et al constant abuse. Good laugh.
derek zoolander

Thought so mate. Heard him a couple of times, got a few laughs from us as well. I remember there being a lot more people like that over there when i was a kid :(
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

First thing I get asked when I walked in the door after the match..........."you weren't singing very much were you ?"

I tried my best :lol: Was quiet in first half, better in second half.
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

http://www.whufc.com/page/News/0,,12562~1526477,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Upson praises United front
Matthew Upson is impressed with the togetherness in the West Ham United squad after four wins in five

Matthew Upson was back in training with his West Ham United colleagues on Tuesday after being buoyed by the resilience demonstrated in Sunday's 3-1 win over Fulham.

For the second week in a row, the Hammers secured a positive result despite conceding first half goals and Upson said that showed the unity within in the group. After going a goal behind at Newcastle United and battling back to a 2-2 draw, the Hammers again found themselves pegged back as Paul Konchesky fired in a 30 yard strike to level Sunday's derby. However, a penalty from Mark Noble and a fine Carlton Cole goal in the second half paved the way for victory.

"I thought we were really impressive and we picked up well," Upson said. "It was good to see the players coming together and picking up a nice run so I'm really pleased. We've shown some good belief and we're sticking to what we believe in and the players and the manager have to take a lot of credit for that."

The England international is delighted to see the drills and exercises that Gianfranco Zola and his coaching team have introduced in training bearing fruit on the pitch. "Our behaviour in training, our attitude in training and the sessions that we do all add up to our performances at the weekend. When those sessions are executed properly you reap the rewards for it. I think we have done that over the past few months and we are starting to play more consistently.

"When a new manager comes in it takes time for everyone to adapt to his style and his culture that he has bought to the club. Not only are we now getting more points but we are playing in quite an entertaining fashion, we're trying to pass the ball and the fundamentals we are trying to do are right. Everyone believes in it and we're starting to get a few more points which is nice to see."

Upson was impressed by how well Cole and his strike partner David Di Michele - who had opened the scoring - performed together. He said: "David was very sharp on the first goal and read the mistake by [John] Pantsil very well and Carlton is on a good goalscoring run, so it was good to see. The strike force has to take it's fair share of goal responsibilities and you can't argue that they are not doing that at the moment."

Despite the excellent run in the league, which has lifted the side to eighth in the Barclays Premier League and just two points off seventh-placed Wigan Athletic, this Saturday sees a very different challenge in the shape of an FA Cup fourth round tie at Hartlepool United. For the 29-year-old Upson, it is just a case maintaining the same mental belief that has served him and the team so well in recent weeks.

"It will be a tough game and they are going to throw everything at us. We've just got keep the focus on winning. It's a nice habit and something you don't want to break so every game you go into, whether it's Hartlepool away or Arsenal away, you've got to have the same mentality and the same winning attitude and take it from there."

This is the second time i think he's been almsot giving a captains viewpoint on things, interesting.
davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

Upson makes me go weak at the knees tbh :lol:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

davids cross wrote:Upson makes me go weak at the knees tbh :lol:
Are you having a mid-life crisis, Dave? Or were you always strangely attracted to action man figures?
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

davids cross wrote:Upson makes me go weak at the knees tbh :lol:

maybe thats ashtons problem too
davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

prophet:marginal wrote: Are you having a mid-life crisis, Dave?
I think that's highly likely mate :lol: I catch myself pawing over his picture when I'm looking through match day programmes....just don't judge me.
derek zoolander

DC :lol:

You cant say things like that and not expect me to take the piss out of your homo-erotic tendencies.

You big fairy.
davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

derek zoolander wrote:DC :lol:
You cant say things like that and not expect me to take the piss out of your homo-erotic tendencies.
I know :lol:
derek zoolander

davids cross wrote: I know :lol:
Have you been spending more time in public parks and around lavatories than would be expected? Possibly started listening to George Michael songs again?
Dan1326
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Dan1326 »

derek zoolander wrote: Have you been spending more time in public parks and around lavatories than would be expected? Possibly started listening to George Michael songs again?

I think DC wrote to Dear Deardrie in todays problem page, the one right at the bottom.
Olliek92
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Olliek92 »

Fionn Kiely wrote:I'm obviously on my own here but I didn't think the crowd were that bad to be honest all things considered. One geezer in the CL provided us with countless laughs. :clap: to whoever he was.
Did he start the SARAH KONCHESKY song?
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Olliek92 wrote: Did he start the SARAH KONCHESKY song?
He did indeed.
shaunieboy

Post by shaunieboy »

davids cross wrote: I know :lol:

Batty Bwoy
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

Apologies for joining this thread a bit late, I'm only an occasional poster. The Fulham match was my first game at UP in three years (although in the intervening time I did get married in the home changing room!) I agree with ealier posters that the atmosphere was very flat except when we were winning. Apart from Bubbles, the only chant I heard from DML (BMS end) was "F*ck off Craig Bellamy", except for the one when Zamora was substituted.

I disagree that the 'early kickoff' was the issue - I got to UP from South Bris without a problem, 1.30 is hardly early. And despite it being on Sky, 31,000 people inside UP can make a noise if they want to. I think it is more to do with all-seater stadia making football more of a viewing than participating experience. I automatically feel more passive sitting in the DML than standing in the North Bank. I accept the health & safety arguments, but the sooner they re-introduce safe standing areas the better.

As for the game, I think we played good football and I'm more optimistic than I've been for a few years about the direction the club is going. Reading the "Football Project" article in the Independent (see other threads) actually made me think, for the first time in months, that Duxbury might actually be on our side, and the performance on the pitch suggested that the Zola/Clarke revolution could work. Now if we can just get the crowd to recite a few more rounds of:

(Oh North London)
Oh North London
(Is full of ****)
Is full of ****
Oh North London is full of ****
It's full of ****, **** and more ****
Oh North London is full of ****

Then I think we could persuade the Spuds to get relegated and everyone would be happy.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

southbrishammer wrote:Apologies for joining this thread a bit late, I'm only an occasional poster. The Fulham match was my first game at UP in three years (although in the intervening time I did get married in the home changing room!) I agree with ealier posters that the atmosphere was very flat except when we were winning. Apart from Bubbles, the only chant I heard from DML (BMS end) was "F*ck off Craig Bellamy", except for the one when Zamora was substituted.

I disagree that the 'early kickoff' was the issue - I got to UP from South Bris without a problem, 1.30 is hardly early. And despite it being on Sky, 31,000 people inside UP can make a noise if they want to. I think it is more to do with all-seater stadia making football more of a viewing than participating experience. I automatically feel more passive sitting in the DML than standing in the North Bank. I accept the health & safety arguments, but the sooner they re-introduce safe standing areas the better.

As for the game, I think we played good football and I'm more optimistic than I've been for a few years about the direction the club is going. Reading the "Football Project" article in the Independent (see other threads) actually made me think, for the first time in months, that Duxbury might actually be on our side, and the performance on the pitch suggested that the Zola/Clarke revolution could work. Now if we can just get the crowd to recite a few more rounds of:

(Oh North London)
Oh North London
(Is full of sh*t)
Is full of sh*t
Oh North London is full of sh*t
It's full of sh*t, sh*t and more sh*t
Oh North London is full of sh*t

Then I think we could persuade the Spuds to get relegated and everyone would be happy.

Got to be better than getting married in Bedminster :lol: