The big Mark Noble debate...

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Adz

Re: Flog Noble if the money's right...

Post by Adz »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:The bloke has always been a holding midfielder. Should be Parker's understudy.
I dont agree with that. The last few games of our great escape season he played in the middle with Coker (who was more the holding player), whilst Noble got forward more, made some late runs into the box and scored a few goals.
I thought he did this well, but doesnt seem to have pushed on and its a shame...

BUT IF ZOLA TRIES TO PLAY HIM RIGHT OR LEFT MID ONE MORE TIME.... Headbanger
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:The bloke has always been a holding midfielder. Should be Parker's understudy.
How can he be a DM if he can't tackle very well at all?...

You've lost me there old chap. :?
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Tel The Hammer wrote:How can he be a DM if he can't tackle very well at all?...

You've lost me there old chap. :?
Being a holding player isn't always about solitary tackling mate.

It's about reading the game, being in the right place at the right time, being a nuisance and such.

Being a holding player doesn't always have to be like a Keane or a Parker.

Did you ever see Dieter Eilts play mate? Geezer only put in challenges when he needed to.
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Did you ever see Dieter Eilts play mate? Geezer only put in challenges when he needed to.
Seem to remember that name from Euro 96. Can't remember that much about him if I'm honest though. I recall Sammer, Bierhoff, Matthaus and Moller etc well, but this Eilts doesn't ring a bell.

Noble being an understudy to someone would be perfect as on current form/performances he doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the starting XI. But I just can't see him ever being a DM.

Noble's sadly always going to be a poor man's Behrami imo.

Tel The Hammer wrote:but this Eilts doesn't ring a bell.
It never usually does - no famous crunching tackles, no injuries, no goals, no last ditch defending - that's my point, me ol' mucker :wink:
Tel The Hammer wrote:Noble's sadly always going to be a poor man's Behrami imo.
I'll go along with that mate. But I think he can be developed into a decent holding player, rather than a poor man's version of somewhere else.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Better or worse off without Noble yesterday ?

Obviously going to come back into the team now with the Behrami injury, unless Savio plays at the tip of a diamond, doubt that will happen yet for a while though.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Thought he had a good game last night. Will be a big player for us now with Collison and Behrami out for the foreseeable.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Fionn Kiely wrote:Thought he had a good game last night. Will be a big player for us now with Collison and Behrami out for the foreseeable.
Was fantastic last night, showed quality & ran his b*llocks off... :thup:
daniel

Post by daniel »

Was very pleased to see him at the end of a few of our attacks last night. Granted, he didn't score but he went for it and with any luck would have scored one. He kept a cool head and was key for us, his yellow card summed him up imo- willing to cover up for someone else's f*** up, even if it means getting his name in the book. Just needs to keep working on his fitness levels, that's it.
Topbre_22

Post by Topbre_22 »

Was fantastic last night, showed quality & ran his b*llocks off... :thup:[/quote]

I thought he did very well last night........we're looking very short at the mo so he will be key, despite his recent lack of dodgy form.
:crest:

Fionn Kiely wrote:Thought he had a good game last night. Will be a big player for us now with Collison and Behrami out for the foreseeable.
Very correct sir.

May too make space for Savio to come into the creative position behind the front 2 or even keep Noble there and Savio in and wide.

We'll see...
monkey

Post by monkey »

I've been as critical of Noble as any one recently, but with a week off for some r&r he was excellent last night. He played well where ever he was asked to play, tackled well in a physical game, used the ball expertly and nearly scored at the death.

If he plays to his potential more often then that's 3, fit, quality central midfielders we've got.
Jigga
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Jigga »

He's best performances are always away from home?

Why?, counter attack style of play? Surely not, Noble has no pace...

:think:
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes

Post by JonG86 »

I guess he played well yesterday because of his rest?

Can't wait till we have all our players fit and can have the same kind of rotation man Utd have (obviously without £30m+ players).
dt64
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by dt64 »

Noble played well yesterday and i hope that is him starting to turn his performances around as i for one think he will be a very good player for us eventually, he just needs time like all young players do to find himself.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

His fitness seems suspect to me.

Given the fact he receives the same/similar to all the other players I wonder why this is?

Inferior genetics? Works harder than the other? Runs about like a headless chicken? Lifestyle outside of the club (not known for lashing it up as far as I know)

Even the commentator on the radio said that Noble was blowing out of every orifice as the game got into the later stages.

Don't get me wrong if that is all down to superior effort, then fair play but if it is something to do with him as an individual and how his body reacts to the training then that's different.
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

He was pretty fair last night, yes.

But what gets me is that he only shows when sides play poorly against us. Noble's three best turn outs for us this season, imo, were against Chelsea at their gaff, Hull at home and last night. In each of them games the opponents were nowhere near on song. So I'm not getting too carried away.

He needs to start showing when sides are playing well against us too. Then my faith in him may be restored...
Marc the Hammer

Post by Marc the Hammer »

I like him he is key part of West Ham i think. :thup:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Hardly had any time off for the past 2-3 years I think what with the undr 21's etc. Double Hernia operation too in that time frame.

Lot to ask from a 21 year old. Body still developing too. Lots of expectations from a local lad, involved in the emotional "Great Escape."
To be fair think he has shown a lot of maturity. People forget how young he is, been playing for the team for best part of 3 full years.

Think he should get a game off here and there to be honest. Not too bad being suspended last game, but the games are still coming thick and fast for youngsters.

Look at the injury problems that Owen has had, Rooney too. Perhaps too many games on these young players ??

Just a thought.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes

Post by JonG86 »

'ouston 'ammer wrote:Hardly had any time off for the past 2-3 years I think what with the undr 21's etc. Double Hernia operation too in that time frame.

Lot to ask from a 21 year old. Body still developing too. Lots of expectations from a local lad, involved in the emotional "Great Escape."
To be fair think he has shown a lot of maturity. People forget how young he is, been playing for the team for best part of 3 full years.

Think he should get a game off here and there to be honest. Not too bad being suspended last game, but the games are still coming thick and fast for youngsters.

Look at the injury problems that Owen has had, Rooney too. Perhaps too many games on these young players ??

Just a thought.
Next season I am guessing we will see some squad rotation and players will get rested.