Alessandro Diamanti

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

FDiMcA
teh
Location: Locked in a cellar, not sure where but I can smell hotdogs

Re: Alessandro Diamanti

Post by FDiMcA »

We need 2 from Diamanti, Gudjohnsen, Chamakh - just because we have Dyer and Stanislas it does not mean we have enough attacking players for a season:

1 Keeper

Back 4 =
2 New Right Back 0r Faubert
3 Ilunga
4 Upson
5 Collins
Cover from:
2b Spector
3b Deprela
4b Gabbidon
5b Tomkins

Holding Midfield =
6 Parker
Cover from:
6b Kojac
..... Behrami
....Gabbidon!

Midfield:
7 Noble
8 Behrami
10 Jimenez
11 New signing (Diamdis, Gudjohnsen, Chamakh)
Cover from
7b Collison
8b Boa Morte
....Nsereko
10b Dyer
11b Stanislas

Main Striker =
9 Cole
Cover from:
9b Ashton

Plan B alternate striker =
12 New signing (Diamdis, Gudjohnsen, Chamakh)
Cover from:
12b Nsereko ,
....Jiminez

In addition he has the bunch of youths he always said he wanted challenging his core 22 man group (+ keepers).
Players like Nouble and Payne can supply cover for Cole (after Ashton), and Parker (after Kojac).

Frank Nouble
Zavon Hines
Josh Payne
Terry Dixon
Freddie Sears
Jordan Spence
Bondz N'Gala
Jack Lampe

Calum Davenport
Nigel Quashie

Green
Stech
Kurucz
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

JonG86 wrote: Some people see his first half of the season goal scoring record and go all weak at the knees, but he was less than impressive in the second half of the season.
Look at his career record Jon, and then consider Wigan's actions in January (blocking his move to Villa, whilst selling off Palacios and Heskey).

I suspect he felt screwed by Wigan.

As others have said, as a loan signing :thup:

Think he'd make hay playing alongside Carlton - just as he did alongside Heskey.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

FDiMcA wrote: In Ashton and Nouble we have direct cover for Colin.
Yes, true, but =>
FDiMcA wrote:1 is injured, 1 is a virgin.
There is the problem.

We don't need a 25 year old replacement. I'd be very happy to get a 32-35 year old replacement - a player who could start about 10-15 games and be able to give Nouble a little more competition.

FDiMcA wrote:In Zola we have a manager who is playing 1 up front. He needs some Ronaldos, Kuyts, Joe Coles, Arshavins to make it work. 1: Savio and 2: Stanislas are kids, 3: Jiminez is untested in the Prem and on loan, 4: Dyer is always going to be one game away from missing the season. 5: LBM is out.
I'd also add Behrami into this pool of players, and if needed Collison. In other words there is plenty of competition.

FDiMcA wrote: I am baffeled by the comments that Diamonds is not the sort of player we should be looking at.
We could use a cover for the Jiminez/Dyer role, but as our funds seem to be very limited I'd personally would like to see the club bring in an experienced striker, before we spend money on a trequartista.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

So you would take a player who is constantly fined for unproffessional behaviour? Even Steve Bruce disliked him:

http://www.wiganlatics.co.uk/page/NewsD ... 27,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, his previous record? You're going to lean on stats from the Egyptian Premier league!? Maybe we should go for Alves from Middlesbrough, his record in the Eredvise was great!
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

JonG86 wrote:So you would take a player who is constantly fined for unproffessional behaviour? Even Steve Bruce disliked him:

http://www.wiganlatics.co.uk/page/NewsD ... 27,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, his previous record? You're going to lean on stats from the Egyptian Premier league!? Maybe we should go for Alves from Middlesbrough, his record in the Eredvise was great!
No Jon - I'm going to lean on:

1) 26 in 51 in international football (much better than Chamakh - who you've presumably written off).
2) 10 in 29 in the Premiership (much better when partnered with Heskey)
3) What I saw live at UP last season, and then on TV in subsequents;

What are you basing your opinion on? Wiki.
JonG86

Post by JonG86 »

No, i'm basing it on how average he was in January and onwards in the premier league. As well as his constant tardiness when it comes to returning from international duty, especially seeing as it's the African Nations cup this year and he wouldn't be around for a large part of the season.

Never seen him play for Egypt, but I guess playing against the mighty Congo, Zambia and Malawi would make any goalscorers record look pretty impressive.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

He scored ten in the league, wasn't like a third of them at least penalties, also the blokes a mug, reported for training late, once the defences woke up he did nothing, don't want him, he's *****. Although at the momment we would take Teddy Sheringham tbh.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Cant beleive the amount on here that have Tomkins down as cover.

He will be first choice with Upson if everyone stays...

Never have I seen an academy player so underated on this site.

You dont get experience unless you play and if your good enough age dont matter...
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

Zaki didn't score a goal after 28 Dec last season, but to negate the "it's because Heskey was sold" argument, I'll also point out that he didn't score a goal from open play after 18 Oct !!!
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

bobd_uk wrote:Zaki didn't score a goal after 28 Dec last season, but to negate the "it's because Heskey was sold" argument, I'll also point out that he didn't score a goal from open play after 18 Oct !!!
It doesn't negate the argument at all Bob - you present nothing more than an alternative point of view.
Dubaian Iron

Post by Dubaian Iron »

Zaki is the answer here. Great international record (Egypt are back to back Afrcian cup of Nations winners, arguably the second hardest regional tournament out there, anyone who saw them at the Confederations Cup know they are top class) and a brilliant scoring record in the premiership. Scored goals and absolutely bullied defences. It did go tits up after Christmas but that was because he fell out with Bruce after falling out with Mido on international duty. Which to be honest is a good thing in my book. If I had to share a dressing room with both I'd fall out with em. Both are twats. If we got Chamkah and Zaki (giving us the option of a fluid 433 or an orthodox, powerful 442), sold Collins and started with Tomkins....well, that for me is a top six side. COYI.
bobd_uk

Post by bobd_uk »

bubbles1966 wrote:It doesn't negate the argument at all Bob - you present nothing more than an alternative point of view.
Well it proves he didn't score (outside of pens) for 3 months prior to Heskey leaving!
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

Diamanti sounds like a quality player, Zaki sunds like a knob.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Dubaian Iron wrote:.......... anyone who saw them ........
You don't need to have seen anyone, to be sure your opinion is fact on this board.... :wink: :lol:

Players are great signings or bad signings on the basis of Wikipedia scouting.......not on the basis of what you've actually seen play...

That Trevor Brooking - he was **** - 5 goals in 47 for England - crap return for an attacking midfielder - and one of them was against Scotland so that don't count
JonG86

Post by JonG86 »

We should carry the Zaki conversation on in the Transfer Rumours thread.

(I would argue that the Copa America is the 2nd hardest competition after the European Championships)
Last edited by JonG86 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

MD_HM wrote:Cant beleive the amount on here that have Tomkins down as cover.

He will be first choice with Upson if everyone stays...

Never have I seen an academy player so underated on this site.

You dont get experience unless you play and if your good enough age dont matter...
I do agree. I guess I under rate Tomkins slightly as an insurance policy. That is, he's young, so doesn't need the pressure, and due to his inexperience is bound to make the odd mistake

When Anton first came through, I was a big fan, and felt he should be 1st choice (again with the disclaimer that he'll make the odd mistake). I guess there was less pressure, as he came through when we were in the CCC

I still rate Anton as a player, but there's no denying that Tomkins looks even better at the same stage. My only concern is that we use him too much, put too much pressure on him. He still hasn't actually proven himself, despite the potential there being obvious. We need to let him progress at his own speed, and if that means introducing him more slowly, or refusing to big him up too much, so be it
Damn Yankee

Post by Damn Yankee »

FDiMcA wrote:
Its great that we are looking at Italian based players. Not because we have an Italian manager, but because CCC players have not been schooled in supporting the sort of 1 up front play Colin is becoming a master of.
The English lower league players tend to be tacticly and positionally retarded. Etherington for example.
The Italians learn it before they learn to walk. Not our specific system, but how to unpick tight midfields and defences.
:thup: Spot on. As a Yank I didn't feel I could be critical of the British System of play (since we play fairly **** football), but I feel this is very clear reason why we aren't going for CCC forward/attacking mids. (hell, are there many that even play the Jiminez role?)
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

bobd_uk wrote:
Well it proves he didn't score (outside of pens) for 3 months prior to Heskey leaving!
Which, in turn, proves nothing. Tevez didn't score for how long?
bobd_uk

Post by bobd_uk »

Damn Yankee wrote:CCC forward/attacking mids. (hell, are there many that even play the Jiminez role?)
Nope. I think every single team in the CC plays 442 or 451
Happyhammer93
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Happyhammer93 »

Zaki was in great form at the start of last season and scored some very good goals. He and Cole would make a very good partnership up front for us, in my opinion. He may not have scored after dec 28th but he managed 10 beforehand which IIRC was more than any of our strikers last season.