Savio - in general

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

shreddie

Re: Savio - in general

Post by shreddie »

[HH] wrote: It is however, a thread which answers those who thought the transfer was dodgy with relations of/to Nani. Savio has now joined a bigger club than us, in the Champions League, playing at a higher European competition level than AC Milan. Perhaps Della Valle is Nani's brother-in-law?

I'm interested in what this higher European competition is than the Champions League?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Financially, geographically and attendance wise Fiorentina are a much smaller team than West Ham.
[HH]
In the closet
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by [HH] »

Axe-wounds. :lol:

I could have sworn I remembered watching AC Milan lose out on a Champions League place. Perhaps that was 2008. :lol: :oops:
Memorial Ground

Post by Memorial Ground »

If I wasn't a West Ham fan I'd definitely move to Tuscany. Saying that, I'd have stayed close to Lake Garda with Brescia.

I think we're only bigger than them based on technicalities. The truth is that at the moment they are more attractive in terms of competitions and league success.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

bubbles1966 wrote:Financially, geographically and attendance wise Fiorentina are a much smaller team than West Ham.

How do you work that one out?? We make Pompey look ****ing loaded.............and we bit there hands off when they offered to take Savio, a player we had down as a huge financial asset 24 months down the line
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Memorial Ground wrote: The truth is that at the moment they are more attractive in terms of competitions and league success.
Would agree that. It's a reflection on the openness of the respective leagues and the financial incompetence of our board for the last 2-3 years.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

chalks wrote:

How do you work that one out?? We make Pompey look f***ing loaded.............and we bit there hands off when they offered to take Savio, a player we had down as a huge financial asset 24 months down the line
Income, Chalks.

Sadly, we appear to have no sense of managing it properly.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

bubbles1966 wrote:
Income, Chalks.

Sadly, we appear to have no sense of managing it properly.

ok mate, get your point now
mcinerney7

Post by mcinerney7 »

personally a bit gutted he wont play for us again :( good luck savio
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

He was **** wasn't he :lol:
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

Would like to know what Billbanksi made of him as he must have played a total of around 55 minutes for us.
shammy

Post by shammy »

mcinerney7 wrote:personally a bit gutted he wont play for us again :( good luck savio

For a second i thought you were serious. One of WHUFCs worst signings of all time. On another thread there was a quote from one of our youth players who said "his touch wasnt that good"!!...You cant make this stuff up. Nani the genius scouring the depths of Italian football to unearth hiddem gems?...The real genius was the scout who in the 70s got on a bus to Southgate and came back with Alan Devonshire.
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

shammy wrote:
For a second i thought you were serious. One of WHUFCs worst signings of all time. On another thread there was a quote from one of our youth players who said "his touch wasnt that good"!!...You cant make this stuff up. Nani the genius scouring the depths of Italian football to unearth hiddem gems?...The real genius was the scout who in the 70s got on a bus to Southgate and came back with Alan Devonshire.
Certainly not One of WHUFCs worst signings of all time, by a long chalk. You are either very young or have a short memory (Boogers, Quashie, Dyer, Sandy Clark....). Savio was a try that didn't work out. As far as I can see we haven't lost any money in the deal, and might make some in the future.

And for every Devonshire a scout unearths, he'll tell you about 100 who didn't even get close to making it.

I hope Nani keeps on trying to bring in young players and I expect him to him to have only limited success - It's always been part of football and always will be. Have a look at the Manure/Arse/Chelsea/Liverpool/Barca/Milan squads from 5 years ago and tell me how many of their 'potential stars ' have made the grade

It's just the way things go :think:
FDiMcA
teh
Location: Locked in a cellar, not sure where but I can smell hotdogs

Post by FDiMcA »

libero wrote:. Have a look at the Manure/Arse/Chelsea/Liverpool/Barca/Milan squads from 5 years ago and tell me how many of their 'potential stars ' have made the grade

It's just the way things go :think:

who was that scandinavian kid we sold to Liverpool around the time we sold Rio?
I think we sold him for £1m
shammy

Post by shammy »

I am neither young or have a short memory, hence the Devonshire reference. I would like someone to officially tell me the exact cost of the Savio "experience" then we can decide. Stop saying it hasnt cost any money because, without proof, i just dont believe it.
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

FDiMcA wrote:who was that scandinavian kid we sold to Liverpool around the time we sold Rio?
I think we sold him for £1m
Daniel Sjolund.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

West Ham are excellent identifying young talent and bringing it through into the first team, we don't need Nani for that hence Savio being a waste of time. It became very apparent very quickly that our own players were ahead of him in several regards. IMO what Nani should be doing is targetting players with senior experience in their early/mid 20s and in their countries highest league that for whatever reason have missed the radar of the big boys or are at clubs that need to sell cheaper then they normally would want to.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

where abouts is Southgate Exactly ?
Us Oxford Hammers prefer to remember the great signings like the immortal Joey Beauchamp !.
Recently banned from driving after going on a bender because he had purchased a kitchen form MFI and not all of it could be delivered due to their insolvancy.Oxford Times 27th Aug 2009
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

:think:
shammy wrote:I am neither young or have a short memory, hence the Devonshire reference. I would like someone to officially tell me the exact cost of the Savio "experience" then we can decide. Stop saying it hasnt cost any money because, without proof, i just dont believe it.
I don't think anyone is saying "it hasn't cost any money", but just that compared to the money we have lost on, say, Quashie, Ljungberg, Davenport, Dyer (just to name some recent pre-Nani examples) it's small beer.

Football clubs bring in young players, let them go, sell them on, lose money on them and, just very occasionally, unearth a star. Everyone makes mistakes but I don't really see the Savio case as particularly damaging to the club, and it's been quickly rectified, which is important too.
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

The figures bandied about as to what we have actually paid Brescia for Savio are £600k - £4.5m. Let's say we paid the £4.5m. Even then, getting £3m rated da Costa plus cash means we've not made much of a loss at all. Adding in the fact that we get 50% when they sell him, I can't see that we've not broken even, if nothing else.