Stoke City 2 West Ham Utd 1 (17/10/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Trap1
Total likes: 23 likes

Re: Stoke v West Ham: Match Thread

Post by Trap1 »

The lack of a striker is really the difference between our current position and mid table.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

i will renew my season ticket when the club finally sorts itself out, when someone with half an idea on how to run a football club takes over, the fans have been robbed of to many broken promises, there are only so many times that you can keep on going back before sticking 2 fingers up and walking away!! For every good season, we have 3 crap ones, its become extremely boring. West Ham are an utter laughing stock. To many poor decisions that have cost millions, it is beggars belief how duxbury still has a job, if he were at any other company then he would have been given the boot a long time ago.
The players and management are fighting a lost cause, too many bad financial decisions over the last 3 years have finally begun to catch up with us.
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

saludo de carlitos wrote: We need him in Midfield, I know Faubert isn't the awnser there though. :(
Lucas Neill must be pissing himself laughing. I couldn't stand the bloke when he was with us but f*ck me, we need him
Marc the Hammer

Post by Marc the Hammer »

Marky wrote:No pace
No width
No aerial abilty

relegation
And no striker
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

The lack of a defence that stops conceding goals is the problem.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

The sad fact is that we have bought in no-one decent since Zola arrived.

Savio (before we flogged him after 6 months) Jiminez, Kovac, Da Costa....have any of them done anything in a Hammers shirt? and seriously....are they likely to before they decide to bugger off?

Diamanti takes a decent freekick now and again....and that's it. £5.7 million? Are you telling me that there was no-one more capable of putting the ball in the back of the net?

We may be skint (a fact that people argued against for ages when we flogged Bellamy funnily enough and tried to justify it as good business as we were better off with out him) but it would help if with the limited funds available............we could have picked up at least one half decent player capable of doing a job in the PL.

We are f*cking screwed on and off the pitch. Run off the pitch by a bunch of bankers who have no interest in football, a CEO who has bull shitted to us constantly, a DOF who's transfer knowledge spans to within 20 miles of his father in law's Villa and a nice guy yes man manager who seems sadly out of his depth when it comes to tactics, has allowed the board to strip us bare with his small squad b*llocks and also seemed hopeless at actually persuading anyone of note to join us.

Our only hope is that Zola goes back to basics and suddenly Jiminez and Diamanti catch fire.
raneman
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by raneman »

Zola is a nice guy and he's had a great career as a player in England. Unfortunately, he isn't a very good manager, probably a good coach, but he isn't going to get us out of this situation we're in. He doesn't seem to understand his idea of a 4-3-3 formation isn't working and it's hurting us now. Unless a change is made it's going to be too late. His substitutions come too late to have any impact. And we're not even playing good football and never look a threat up front. Bilic pls or someone who can get us out. And a message to our so called owners, please do us all a favour and leave; make it soon as you are not welcome anymore!!! There must be a way to unhinge their grip on our club as they're draining the life out of us!!! Gold/Sullivan would be a life saver right now.
The Boys from the Boleyn
Has liked: 71 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by The Boys from the Boleyn »

We're worryingly starting to look similar to Middlesborogh last year:

Young, likable but fundamentally inexperienced and tactically naive ex-pro manager. Team that is constantly praised for playing the "right" kind of football and giving it a go against solid opposition sides, despite never actually beating them. Squad that is made up of an experienced spine but not properly supported by young players who, although full of promise, are woefully short of premier-league experience.

It's so depressingly West Ham that all the obvious holes in our team have been self-made - blood and guts central defender, now plays for Aston Villa; organised, vocal full-back leader/captain, now plays for everton; pacey, lippy finisher, now plays at City.

I don't think we'll go down if the squad stays the same as I think that the core is good enough to ensure we stay above at least 3 teams. I do think that its going to be a torrid season, full of depressingly toothless football, with a surprising amount of goals from set pieces.
happydaystoytown
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 99 likes

Post by happydaystoytown »

Behrami would be wasted at full back, we need his 'engine' in midfield. No, we're stuck with Faubert. Not replacing Neill will be as costly as no cover up front.
JohnnyMoncs

Post by JohnnyMoncs »

Should have Kept Collins, swapped Upson with Bent and bought a decent CB Turner maybe.
Cadenza

Post by Cadenza »

We need Neil at RB.. oh yeah we got rid of him..

ok.. we need a powerful presence alongside Upson at CB, how about Collins!.. oh yeah bugger...

ok.. a decent striker to play alongside Cole so at least we can score more goals than the opposition.. oh yeah we didn't get anyone..

Let's face facts...

Faubert is not a premiership class defender, he should be on right midfied if anywhere..
Kovac.. what exactly does he provide?, creativity = none, Behrami does his role and much better..
Noble.. more of what i heard on the radio today.. sounds like he was up for it.. shame most games he doesn't seem to make a difference

Has to be 2 up front and Jiminez behind them, or 2 quick wingers.. or something..
Marc the Hammer

Post by Marc the Hammer »

JohnnyMoncs wrote:Should have Kept Collins, swapped Upson with Bent and bought a decent CB Turner maybe.
Thats the problem we cant
JohnnyMoncs

Post by JohnnyMoncs »

[quote="Marc the Hammer"][quote="JohnnyMoncs"]Should have Kept Collins, swapped Upson with Bent and bought a decent CB Turner maybe./quote]

Thats the problem we cant

I mean before we bought Diamanti we had some money
IngatestoneHammer

Post by IngatestoneHammer »

Lucas Neill must be pissing himself laughing. I couldn't stand the bloke when he was with us but f*ck me, we need him[/quote]

Totally agree ....really need a right full back that defends and can cross a ball....and someone that organises the back 4 so that we are tight......Maybe give Spector a run there ?
Cadenza

Post by Cadenza »

We're ****ed.. but we'll have the last laugh.. once we're down the premier league will be full of teams like..

Stoke
Bolton
Blackburn

..ok i can't think of any positives really
AlfieG
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

kaybee15

Post by kaybee15 »

Regrettably coming to the conclusion that Zola isn't the right manager for us at this time. The kind of football he wants to play is not going to work with our current squad, and even less so when Green, Upson, Behrami and Cole piss off in January - which is looking more and more nailed on each week. If we need to play like Stoke or Bolton for a season or two, until finances are sorted, then so be it. We are really heading for meltdown at the moment...
AlfieG
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

IngatestoneHammer wrote:Lucas Neill must be pissing himself laughing. I couldn't stand the bloke when he was with us but f*ck me, we need him
Totally agree ....really need a right full back that defends and can cross a ball....and someone that organises the back 4 so that we are tight......Maybe give Spector a run there ?[/quote]

Now I know you are taking the piss....... :eh:
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

The problem is Carlton Cole has No One along side him! he had a great game and Noble was first class today!

But the problem has to lie with our owners and if they do not sell up then there is not much hope,
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

i can just see the sunday gossip now zola out bilic :lol: in