Stoke City 2 West Ham Utd 1 (17/10/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Iron Spine v2.0
Location: You don't wanna go and eat a snack like that! You'll end up with your teeth all grey,

Re: Stoke v West Ham: Match Thread

Post by Iron Spine v2.0 »

He was posting on KUMB asking us if being relegated would be a buzz. :|
NE hammer

Post by NE hammer »

Iron Spine v2.0 wrote:He was posting on KUMB asking us if being relegated would be a buzz. :|
Suppose he has to fill his time doing something......
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Dyer dont play anymore he's got Alan Taylor's old milk round in Norwich
NE hammer

Post by NE hammer »

chappo59 wrote:Dyer dont play anymore he's got Alan Taylor's old milk round in Norwich
Must drink a lot of black tea/coffee in that neck of the woods then.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

he he & the yoghurts off by the time that skiving ****er gets it delivered!
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

just got back from the game, the better footballing team lost ..... unfortunately some of our more senior players seem to be playing with their head up their arses, plus tatically we are lacking somewhat.

Henrita and Upson are having shockers at the moment. Matty got turned for the winner and has looked out of sort the last few games. Since the August player of the month, Faubert has struggeld at times unfortunately.

Valon and JC were productive and committed .... alot will hinge on these two this season.

Subs made too late .... again. Junior and Hines should have been on sooner. Can handle losing and finishing fourth from bottom if its all about the academy boys. JT looks the senior centre back at the moment ... worrying but good as in this form Upson isnt doing himself any favours and a January sale would look unlikely!!

It we played with width today we would have killed them, too congested, system needs tweaking ... alot. Failure to get bodies in the box is worrying, needs addressing as its been evident since the start of the season.

Thier MOTM was Shawcross, on another day CC would have been one on one in front of goal. Its a difficult place to go and get something however this was a game we should have got something out of.

:thdn: to all the negativity, still along way to go. Get behind the boys for ****'s sake :crest:
Welsh Iron

Post by Welsh Iron »

Just got back. When would it be OK to start the knee jerking?

No width to our play it was all up the middle.
No penetration (ooh err misses). They doubled up on CC and no-one else was prepared to take the game on.
No real shape to the team. Couldn't realy work out what formation we were trying to play as we all seemed to be huddled around the center circle.

We did OK in the middle third of the park but were ***** in the other two.

The subs were too late. Franco coming on at 88 mins? WTF did zola expect him to do?

And lastly, the ref was a ****.

Could I claim re-imbursement of what it cost me today as at the moment West Ham are not fit for purpose?
red iron

Post by red iron »

Welsh Iron wrote:Just got back. When would it be OK to start the knee jerking?

No width to our play it was all up the middle.
No penetration (ooh err misses). They doubled up on CC and no-one else was prepared to take the game on.
No real shape to the team. Couldn't realy work out what formation we were trying to play as we all seemed to be huddled around the center circle.

We did OK in the middle third of the park but were s***e in the other two.

The subs were too late. Franco coming on at 88 mins? WTF did zola expect him to do?

And lastly, the ref was a c***.

Could I claim re-imbursement of what it cost me today as at the moment West Ham are not fit for purpose?
Just got back myself.
An interesting post, I agree and disagree,
As for no width, i thought the opposite, too often we tried to box it, just for Stoke to head it away. would've preferred to see more though the middle
As for the CC issue, completely agree, we need to play 4-4-2 to support him, he's not a lone striker.
Again,spot on with the subs, way too late and the ref, defo a ****
tugboatpete

Post by tugboatpete »

Stop going to places like "very ordinary stoke" with one fkin striker up front -end of rant -show ambition dont go for a draw at fkin stoke play someone up front with cole

I remember the pre season chat about zola building his team around jimenez??? so why was he sub?

WHEN YOU GO TO PLACES LIKE FKIN STOKE YOU GO TO WIN!!!!!!!!

WE ARS IN DESPERATE TROUBLE NOW!!
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Just got back. I am so pissed off. Overall Stoke were there to be taken, but we just messed around and missed the opportunity.

Zola, you need to look hard at what you're doing. And what you're not doing.
Iron worker
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Iron worker »

On the Huth and Upson matter. Is there any history between those two that anyone knows of? It doesn't seem to make sense after going 2-1 up to risk a sending off with a totally cowardly bull**** cheap shot like that.
paddy the greek
Likes to fall in bushes

Post by paddy the greek »

5 points from 24, pathetic the sooner zola the gnome looking **** ****'s off to the other side of london to be with his special friends the better and he can take his sweaty sock downs looking **** of a mate clark with him too, we'd be better digging up steve clark of def leppard and sitting his rotting corpse on the bench.
kielhammer

Post by kielhammer »

paddy the greek wrote:5 points from 24, pathetic the sooner zola the gnome looking c*** f***s off to the other side of london to be with his special friends the better and he can take his sweaty sock downs looking c*** of a mate clark with him too, we'd be better digging up steve clark of def leppard and sitting his rotting corpse on the bench.
Last year when chelsea sacked their manager,there were all kind of threads on here,that zola needed to stay,and that Clarke was one of the best in the game
Now they are a gnome,and an idiot and can f*** off.
I think last year he wasn't the best manager in the world,and this year he isn't the worst,just a matter of a more depleted squad, a lack of confidence,some key players underperforming and not the most succesfull transferwindow
Sometimes it only takes a bit of luck to turn it around,and obviously we will need to be able to keep our best elements in january.
it isn't looking good,but it is not yet time for panic or overreactions
Kentish Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by Kentish Hammer »

Just got back, disappointed but not suprised to see the negativity on here. A few points for the gloom merchants to consider :

- Today we deserved a point. We were the better footballing team and if we'd come home with a point tonight people would be praising the team/Zola instead of all this crap. One stupid challenge by Faubert was the difference.
- This season we have played well in patches, imo - we were the better team against Spurs, beat Wolves, solid point at Blackburn and were actually pretty good in the first half against Fulham. It will turn, just like it did last season.
- Zola derserves far more support from people on here than he is getting. His achievements last year were even more impressive considering what he had to work with. Another pathetic off-the field summer passes and people are expecting him to continue producing miracles? Yes we are a bit toothless up front but how is he supposed to change that with no money and owners looking after their own interests above that of the team.

We have only played eight games, the next four are tough, but we are West Ham and we never used to turn this quickly. We have a massive role to play this season and need to get behind the players and manager, not turn like we seem to be doing. Our future is dependant on a long-term issue, i.e ownership. In the short-term we desperately need to stay up this year so lets stay behind the team cos a few good results aren't too far away imho. Lets not let the negativity affect that.

A bit pissed, so sorry if that doesn't make any sense!
EggyBread
Location: Riding in the back-seat of the Roller with Gold & Sullivan!

Post by EggyBread »

Does it really matter if Huth stayed on the pitch or was sent off?

Against Fulham we got worse!

Fact is Zola can't handle this, and it's beginning to look more and more like Glenn Roeder syndrome... I would have hoped that would mean Clarkey stepping up a little bit more, but they both seem clueless....
the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

Just got back, disappointed but not suprised to see the negativity on here: quote

yeah, were too good to go down,
hang on haven't i heard that before somewhere :think:
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

I didnt go today, but I know a few that did, and respect their views.

They said:

We played much better than Stoke.

We created loads of chances.

We ran out of ideas when we got near goal.

The important decisions went against us.

We were unlucky.

These seem to be the story of every game. Much as they were when we got relegated.
Kentish Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by Kentish Hammer »

It was actually the story for most games before xmas last season. Our luck turned and we started getting the results we deserved and had a good year. Far too early to start talking about relegation seasons in years gone by, the negativity doesn't help anyone.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

So do you respect the view that we've been unlucky, or suggest that's the story a team that's not good enough to stay up would of course come out with?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Kentish Hammer wrote:It was actually the story for most games before xmas last season. Our luck turned and we started getting the results we deserved and had a good year. Far too early to start talking about relegation seasons in years gone by, the negativity doesn't help anyone.
The one thing I'd say kentish was that our form turned with Bellamy, Neill, Collins and (to a lesser extent) LBM being pivotal characters.

Those players are now Diamanti, Faubert, Da Costa and Jiminez.

We've substituted largely unproven players for very experienced Premiership players....so it might be wishful thinking to expect an exact re-run.

It was obvious this time last year, even in the depths, that if we were properly organised we had a very good team.

Today's team, and squad, isn't a match for them.