Stoke City 2 West Ham Utd 1 (17/10/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Re: Stoke v West Ham: Match Thread

Post by hawkins_hammer »

We've turned into West Brom
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

Went to the game, obviously gutted.
Do not want to pick on our players, especially our academy players but below are my views/observations:

James Tomkins - Steve Clarke seriously needs to have a word, every time the ball came near him he held two hands up in the air, looked at the linesman and appealed frantically for offside.... was embarrasing. Rule number 1 - play to the whistle.

Matthew Upson - Looks nervous without Collins, keeps divining in and appears to be very flat footed. Not a born leader.

Herita Illunga- Looks rusty since his injury, does not know what to do with the ball and should be attacking more as he does have the ability to beat players.

Faubert - Apart from the pen he didn't do much wrong apart from overhit some passes/crosses as usual.

Mark Noble - I admire Nobes, he is West Ham through and through but today he looks tired even lazy at times and does not know what to do with the ball. Gave up a couple of times, one time he gave up tracking someone back and it was so obvious it was embarrasing.

Collison - Pretty anonymous, lacking in confidence it seems.

Behrami - Immense, at the pinnacle of everything positive we done. If only every player played with his grit, determination and passion.

Kovac - I think he is ****, the amount of times he stretched for the ball and missed it was unbelievable. Did not win a header all day or do much else.

Diamanti - Very hit and miss, one minute looks good... most of the time looks shat. Only had one very speculative shot today which was refreshing. Loses possesion too easily and needs to be more aware.

Cole - Needs a strike partner. He is unable to play to his full potential at the moment.

I was talking to my mate on the way back saying i hope Zola and Clarke don't f*** off as i feel sorry for them... they dont have the tools required to do their job. Opinions?
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

prophet:marginal wrote:So do you respect the view that we've been unlucky, or suggest that's the story a team that's not good enough to stay up would of course come out with?
I mean that the people telling me what they saw arent idiots who would post "f*** off Zola you useless ****".

They know their football.

If we'd conceeded a goal off a ballon, I'd say we were unlucky.

To create chances, and not score them isnt unlucky to moi.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

"I dont like to single people out".....but here is a run down of most of them.... :lol:
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

don't **** yourself on substitutions.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Why is it people think that they can't blame Faubert anymore...some went over the top with this Plum i know but he will NEVER be a right back and we wouldn't have lost today had we have had Skippy there.

Some will say i've never liked the bloke which is true...but I will always admit when he has played well SO i can say when he's been pathetic.

The bloke is cr@p...end of. :evil:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Beattie's winner was a bit suspect; looked as if he went through Faubert to score?
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

prophet:marginal wrote:Beattie's winner was a bit suspect; looked as if he went through Faubert to score?
Upson's suspect defending?

Ilunga's suspect tracking?

Green's suspect handling?

Faubert's suspect shielding?

The refs suspect not giving us a freekick?
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

prophet:marginal wrote:Beattie's winner was a bit suspect; looked as if he went through Faubert to score?
having just seen this on motd i think faubert should have dealt with it.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

How about Faubert actually defending the ball and being decisive ?

How many goals this season have we let in due to this fellas inability to react to situations, poor position and Tomas Repkesque asking for decisions that he is asking for due to his own p!ss poor defending and mistakes.

I don't care if he care play a nice cross in...he's there to stop goals :evil:
garyloz

Post by garyloz »

Romford wrote:
I don't care if he care play a nice cross in...
When were these then?
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

morganwhu wrote:
having just seen this on motd i think faubert should have dealt with it.
I can see that, but before the ball gets to him, Upson, Ilunga, and Green are sold a pup, missing in action, and fail to deal with a tame shot respectively.

For sure, Faubert should deal with it better. The same should also be said for the others too.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

Mistakes at the back costing us games, been the story of the season so far!
Singaporeiron

Post by Singaporeiron »

Many have said it before and it may have been mentioned on here already I havn't checked, but never have we missed a player soo much as we do Lucas Neil. What he lacked in pace he more than made up for in positioning, commitment and leadership.

I'd put Upson's recent nervousness around being made captain and trying to lead the entire team yet alone the back four. He gets no real benefit from Rob Green who has to be one of the quietest keepers in the PL. Upson is not a natural leader but proved his worth yesterday by twice coming back on after nasty injuries.

Faubert was at fault for both goals simple as that (yes maybe the second was a foul), but his marking and defensive play is attrocious and he is simply not a RB, never in a million years where the hell is spector, he will at least defend.

The sale of collins all to keep the banks off our backs was one of the worst piece of business we have done in the last few years, Tomkins is still young and looked well out of place yesterday as he has done for a few games now, he was and is still learning, and I'd imagin the sooner gabbs is back the better.

It was good to see Collison and Behrami back, and it was also evident how much Parker is better than Kovac.

Positives from the game, not many Collison/Behrami back and a 20 min spell at the start of the second half, thats about it from me
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

JonG86 wrote:Mistakes at the back costing us games, been the story of the season so far!
Two today involved your old mate Faubert, Jon! :wink:

I mean letting two of our best defenders go, not replacing them, and now we're looking rough at the back, who'da thunk it, eh!
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

Tel The Hammer wrote: Two today involved your old mate Faubert, Jon! :wink:

I mean letting two of our best defenders go, not replacing them, and now we're looking rough at the back, who'da thunk it, eh!
Our best defenders last year were Ilunga and Upson and they are both still at the club. Neill was our best captain, but was not a good defender (especially when up against a faster winger), Collins was always getting turned and had shown no improvement this season. Anyone remember Ebainks Blake skinning him against Wolves?

The problem is Upson and Green appear to have lost all focus and it is causing massive problems at the back.

Blaming Faubert for the 2nd after the comedy of errors by several of our the other players is a bit silly if you ask me.
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

Jon

Neill was a quality right back who orchestrated the back four very well. Without him our defence is all at sea.

You mention Neill getting skinned by pacey wingers, right, so what happened today with Etherington vs Faubert for the pen?

How about Petrov up against Faubert at Citeh?

On the subject of Collins, he wasn't the greatest, you're right, but with him being forced out of the club, it's put an awful lot of weight on Tomkins' shoulders, which is the worst thing you can do to a young player.

Upson seems to be overburdened in our side at the moment. He's got to try and marshall Tomkins along, organize the defence and also captain the side at the same time, which seems to be affecting his performances.
giblet
Has liked: 1 like

Post by giblet »

What we need is a ****ing Captain! A leader, on and off the field. Somebody, anybody.

Take me to your leader!
MikeNewell'sOldBoys
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by MikeNewell'sOldBoys »

Chuck D wrote:I didnt go today, but I know a few that did, and respect their views.

They said:

We played much better than Stoke.

We created loads of chances.

We ran out of ideas when we got near goal.

The important decisions went against us.

We were unlucky.

These seem to be the story of every game. Much as they were when we got relegated.

Like the 06/07 as well.. Only this time we don't have a world class striker to help us out...
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Tel The Hammer wrote:Jon

Neill was a quality right back who orchestrated the back four very well. Without him our defence is all at sea.

You mention Neill getting skinned by pacey wingers, right, so what happened today with Etherington vs Faubert for the pen?

How about Petrov up against Faubert at Citeh?

On the subject of Collins, he wasn't the greatest, you're right, but with him being forced out of the club, it's put an awful lot of weight on Tomkins' shoulders, which is the worst thing you can do to a young player.

Upson seems to be overburdened in our side at the moment. He's got to try and marshall Tomkins along, organize the defence and also captain the side at the same time, which seems to be affecting his performances
To be fair Tel, Tomkins looks our best defender at th moment. Matty's gotta dig in abit more. Know what your saying though but JT isnt the weak link at present.

Defensive mistakes are costing us dear, agreed though that we are missing Lucus an his organising