West Ham Utd P Wolverhampton Wanderers P (09/01/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Re: West Ham United v Wolverhampton Wanderers: MATCH POSTPONED

Post by rsnwhu »

Excellent call not to play the game. It gives our injured players another week to recover without missing a game. Excellent. :crest:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

It's probably done us a favour not playing the game as it'll give us a chance to get our injured players back fit again.

Still, what a joke not playing it. Hardly any snow at all in east London/SW Essex area. Barely an inch remaining on the ground in sunny Hornchurch yesterday, roads largely clear, and what was remaining was fast melting into slush. No doubt the pitch was fine due to the undersoil heating. All the club would have had to do was clear the car park area and spread some grit around the turnstiles. Even then, nothing major to stop the game.

What happened to the days of playing in blizzards with orange balls?

It's not the health and safety laws that are the problems, it's people's interpretations of them, and the blame culture that is prevalent in our society these days.
Hammerite

Post by Hammerite »

I wonder if there might be any come back from this? Sky cameras were at the ground making a big deal of the fact that there was no snow or ice around the ground in and around the stadium, with the commentators smirking and making the occasional comment after the snippet was run. I was near the ground on Friday night and it was relatively clear and was convinced it would go ahead.

Anyone hazard a guess as to when the replayed fixture might be? I'm away with work week commencing the 18th and I bet they ****ing play this game that week. :twisted:
Stoeff.at

Post by Stoeff.at »

oh my god i just saw the pictures on sky - what a joke! Anfield was pretty ****ed at least the area around but there was hardly anything around upton park. Good for the club but what a pita for the fans.
Not so much the local ones but p.e. I only have the possibility to fly to england once a year and go to the ground and i would be THAT pissed if this game was canceled.
leveller

Post by leveller »

Hammerite wrote:I wonder if there might be any come back from this? Sky cameras were at the ground making a big deal of the fact that there was no snow or ice around the ground in and around the stadium, with the commentators smirking and making the occasional comment after the snippet was run. I was near the ground on Friday night and it was relatively clear and was convinced it would go ahead.
Don't think there really can be as the club got permission from the Premier League to postpone the fixture, surely its their problem if they didn't check their facts unless we actively lied to them. I certainly think it was pathetic and rediculous to postpone the game because some side roads surrounding the ground were icy although I would agree that a postponment probably did us a favour.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I thought we cancelled the game because of a severe weather warning, which was only withdrawn late Saturday....
Rayleigh_Hammer

Post by Rayleigh_Hammer »

Hammerite wrote: Anyone hazard a guess as to when the replayed fixture might be? I'm away with work week commencing the 18th and I bet they f***ing play this game that week. :twisted:
The re-arranged game mustnt clash with England v Egypt(friendly),Champions League or FA Cup replays.So there are only 3 free midweek slots available...weeks of 23 March,13 April,4 May.
Looking at a pic( in the newspaper)of the approach to U.P. yesterday,looks like it was completely ice/snow free.Game could have been played.
leveller

Post by leveller »

HammerMan2004 wrote:I thought we cancelled the game because of a severe weather warning, which was only withdrawn late Saturday....
Whatever the case I don't think the pitch was ever a problem because of the undersoil heating and the main roads would have been well gritted and had far too much traffic going over them to have been a problem. Likewise, the pavements on Green Street, East Ham High Street and most likely Barking Road also would have been gritted and heavy pedestrian traffic from morning shoppers (who amazingly, were allowed out of their houses by the police and council). So I still say it was health and safety gone mad!
Last edited by leveller on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Surely could clash with European games.

It was however a ridiculous decision to call it off.
Hammerite

Post by Hammerite »

Rayleigh_Hammer wrote:The re-arranged game mustnt clash with England v Egypt(friendly),Champions League or FA Cup replays.So there are only 3 free midweek slots available...weeks of 23 March,13 April,4 May.
Looking at a pic( in the newspaper)of the approach to U.P. yesterday,looks like it was completely ice/snow free.Game could have been played.
Cheers Rayleigh, lets hope you're right...and yes it was pretty clear in and around the ground with no immediate risk to fans. The only caveat I would add is how would the travelling fans have been impacted by the weather, might have been okay around the ground but surely consideration must also be given to the away support in this situation?

For me this was a purely tactical decision by the club (albeit with weather warning in place), and one that I applaud...even if I was looking forward to Sunday's game. It made perfect sense to postpone our game when our nearest rivals were all doing the same. For once the clubs admin team seem to have made the right call IMHO :crest: .
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

If Wolves get knocked out of the FA Cup then there is a free Saturday going on 5th Rd day

Also if Pompey lose their 3rd Rd replay this week, why not move that game to Saturday 23th Jan?

Why can't the re-arrange game clash with Champs League and FA Cup replays?
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

Just seen the SSN report, saying the club cancelled as we had no strikers, no mention of the £600,000 the club missed out on.

Of course Sky never showed any of the side streets though.

Newham Council have a link on their website to what roads and pavements they prioritise for gritting and of course Green St, Barking Rd and Priory Rd (as the bus garage is down there) are gritted.

I presume most high streets in the South East were fine all last week, but walking there from any side street would have been difficult

What with the MET etc all giving out a severe weather warning for Saturday night/Sunday morning a decision had to be made early.
Rayleigh_Hammer

Post by Rayleigh_Hammer »

Pop Robson wrote:If Wolves get knocked out of the FA Cup then there is a free Saturday going on 5th Rd day

Rules is rules.
But I have been known to be wrong before now.
leveller

Post by leveller »

Pop Robson wrote:Just seen the SSN report, saying the club cancelled as we had no strikers
I would say this is probably closer to the truth but then other games got cancelled in similar circumstances. Anyone reckon the club saw the option to cancel on the grounds of Health and Safety and grabbed it? To be fair £600,000 is nothing compared to £30m if we go down and the Wolves game was/is a 6 pointer.

I still don't think we can get in the **** over it anyway as the Premier League sanctioned it and it was presumably backed up by the police and council but then sillier decisions have been made by the football authorities.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Pop Robson wrote:Just seen the SSN report, saying the club cancelled as we had no strikers, no mention of the £600,000 the club missed out on.
You'd wonder why we didn't get the Arsenal game called off then....
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

Rayleigh_Hammer wrote:
Rules is rules.
But I have been known to be wrong before now.[/quote]

Didn't know that one, lets hope Wolves get knocked out of the Cup and we play them on the Saturday a 3pm
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

The Club wont miss out on 600k. When its re-arranged it will be on Sky. They always do that.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Pop Robson wrote:Just seen the SSN report, saying the club cancelled as we had no strikers,
Not sure that would have been a direct quote... Sky would be in a lot bother if it was!

I think there has been a massive over reaction on this... the game was called off at around 111am on Saturday with weather reports predicting one of the worst days snow London has ever seen on Sunday.

Taking into account the plans of the Wolves team and many fans who would have stayed overnight in London, I would have thought it was a no brainer for all involved to call it off.

However i do think we will benifit more from it... can now play what could be a big game for us, mid week, under the lights and with two strikers!
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

carnage wrote:The Club wont miss out on 600k. When its re-arranged it will be on Sky. They always do that.
That's 2 things I've learned today :thup:
shammy

Post by shammy »

So that undersoil heating is just a waste of money then?...Do health and safety want us to put under pavement heating all the way up to the tube station?...What a joke, although i agree its worked out quite well for our injuries.