LC3: Sunderland 1 West Ham Utd 2 (21/09/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Re: Sunderland v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by kitthehammer »

Hate to say it but i've been hoping green and upson were going to be dropped since the start of the season. I know its only one match and doesnt justify anything but their repeated faults were missing from our game and it showed.
It sounds a terrible thing to say, particularly as they are both english players, but neither seem that keen to stay with us so maybe its time in january to let them go whilst we can still get a fee? So long as they are replaced of course.
I personally feel that both are overated and we could possibly make up to £10mil if we are lucky.
Next summer we could see at least one of them go for nothing so maybe its time to cash in?
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

kitthehammer wrote:Hate to say it but i've been hoping green and upson were going to be dropped since the start of the season. I know its only one match and doesnt justify anything but their repeated faults were missing from our game and it showed.
It sounds a terrible thing to say, particularly as they are both english players, but neither seem that keen to stay with us so maybe its time in january to let them go whilst we can still get a fee? So long as they are replaced of course.
I personally feel that both are overated and we could possibly make up to £10mil if we are lucky.
Next summer we could see at least one of them go for nothing so maybe its time to cash in?
Lucky beyind the hope of all mankind I'd say.
Halve it, then halve it again and you'll be closer.
Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Gnome »

Just to add to the smile on my face last night, the interview with Steve Bruce on SSN was pure comedy gold.

Unable to blame the referee, weather conditions, meteor showers or the millennium bug for his team's defeat, the miserable one had to utter the words "West Ham were the better team" - that funny noise you heard was the sound of the words sticking in his throat.
Norbert_Up_Norf
Location: Chav Corner, St James Park, Newcastle (a long way from home)

Post by Norbert_Up_Norf »

Great night at the Stadium of *****.... Support was fantastic - Romford was that you in a red and blue checked shirt near the stairs to the concourse?

My take on the players:

Stech - pretty solid - very good second half save - needs to work on his distribution though - something other than a laser-straight punt into their half would be nice.

TBH - OK defensively but very static

Tomkins and Da Costa were OK - were getting dragged around by their forwards a bit too much on occasion - would struggle against a better team

Faubert - I thought he was very good last night and potentially my MOM - very strong, and effective at getting the right side of their wide players. Tenacious in chasing down balls and made up for the few mistakes he made.

Boa Morte - waste of time - overweight, painfully slow and caught in possession too often

Kovac - decent game - distribution was better than I've seen from him before as well

Parker - very good - seems to enjoy linking up with Barrera and suits a more attacking role with Kovac tucked behind

Barrera - good, but I'd like to see him take on his man - tried to pass his way out of tight situations too often

Obinna - impressed - full of confidence and not afraid to take his man on, but found himself ahead of play on a few occasions - midfield was slow to support him - largely down to Boa Morte being as dynamic as a house brick.

Piq - f*** me he's a big lump! Slow, and has a tendency to skulk about looking disinterested but can't argue with the goal - brilliantly taken.

Selected comments from the Mackems overheard on the Metro home to Newcastle:

"Without Parker they've got no team"
"We were all over them first half, but gave up after they went ahead again"
"That'll kick start their season, they were easily better than us"

:crest:
HarlowHammer

Re: away support

Post by HarlowHammer »

I was back in my house by 10:45 last night. Great support though from all of our lot. I took 3 geordies with me and even caught one of them singing bubbles after about 85 mins with the rest of us. Good evening out and hopefully a decent draw away at Newcastle to follow. :crest:
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

If Piq was chosen over Cole last night then how come Piq wasn't defending the corners the same as Cole?!....There pretty much the same height and I doubt they would have scored at the front post if either Piq or Cole were there to challenge it.
Reynaldo28

Post by Reynaldo28 »

HarlowHammer wrote:I was back in my house by 10:45 last night. Great support though from all of our lot. I took 3 geordies with me and even caught one of them singing bubbles after about 85 mins with the rest of us. Good evening out and hopefully a decent draw away at Newcastle to follow.
Did the same mate, always good a feeling when you get your mates loving West Ham too! :crest:
westhamloyal

Post by westhamloyal »

just walked in my front door now, train delayed by an hour coming back but really dont care, 13 months of pain gone!
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Norbert_Up_Norf wrote:Great night at the Stadium of s***e.... Support was fantastic - Romford was that you in a red and blue checked shirt near the stairs to the concourse?
It was Aqua Check if you don't mind 8-)

Someone had to tell the Plod and Stewards they were being a tad over-zealous...
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Romford wrote: Someone had to tell the Plod and Stewards they were being a tad over-zealous...
I'll look out for you at Arsenal then, Romford :lol:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

devonshire flu
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by devonshire flu »

CentenaryUpperHammer wrote:If Piq was chosen over Cole last night then how come Piq wasn't defending the corners the same as Cole?!....There pretty much the same height and I doubt they would have scored at the front post if either Piq or Cole were there to challenge it.
It was Faubert's job to challenge it. And he got there just too late. TBF he played well for the rest of the match, but the goal was down to him and only him.
DDRS

Post by DDRS »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 024912.stm < These BBC Highlights went up tonight, may make the goals seem more clear ! With Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea & Everton all out, maybe it is our year for a trophy ?! :raver:
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

I logged on during Sunderland game, but could not join general discussion as not a premium member. is this a new policy ( i have no complaints if it is) or was this just a mistake?
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 413 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

BB,

New policy mate.

Should be a thread by a mod somewhere about it.