The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Do you support the Board's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium post-2012 games?

Yes
57%
No
32%
Undecided
11%

Total votes: 1278

LondonPride

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by LondonPride »

mywhufc wrote:I recentley checked where the first 200 people to sign the paper petition from outside the ground lived. Off the top of my head
East London 19
Essex ( inside m25 ) 41
Essex ( outside m25 ) 38
Foriegn 6
South London 11
West London 1
North London 9
The rest never put a town or postcode or put their email adress
Also about 10 from the rest of uk . Can't find notebook for definate numbers but top 4 and west london were exact and more south of river than north.
And no I didn't know any of them or fill it in myself and if people want to check they can see it Sunday outside the main gates I have no objections
I don't think you know the definition of East London or Essex with your information there, and also with the term local.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

bubbles1966 wrote: The Wright Stuff by Les Dennis, Kirsty Gallacher and some Australian bloke
As a demonstration of the collective ignorance of most people on the subject it was enlightening.

Bugger, and there was me watching the cricket and tennis........ :lol:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

davids cross wrote: Bugger, and there was me watching the cricket and tennis.
I live a privileged existence when the ladies of the house are here with me :lol:
LondonPride

Post by LondonPride »

saludo de carlitos wrote: E1 LONDON Eastern head district: Aldgate (part), Bishopsgate (part), Whitechapel, Shoreditch (part), Spitalfields, Shadwell, Stepney, Mile End (part), Portsoken Tower Hamlets, Hackney, City of London
E1W LONDON Wapping Tower Hamlets
E2 LONDON Bethnal Green district: Bethnal Green, Haggerston, Shoreditch (part), Cambridge Heath Tower Hamlets, Hackney
E3 LONDON Bow district: Bow, Bromley-by-Bow, Old Ford, Mile End, Three Mills, London Gas Museum Tower Hamlets, Newham
E4 LONDON Chingford district: Chingford, Sewardstone, Highams Park Waltham Forest, Epping Forest
E5 LONDON Clapton district: Upper Clapton, Lower Clapton, Leyton (part) Stoke Newington (part) Hackney, Waltham Forest
E6 LONDON East Ham district: East Ham, Beckton, Upton Park (part), Barking (part) Newham, Barking and Dagenham
E7 LONDON Forest Gate district: Forest Gate, Stratford (part) Newham, Waltham Forest
E8 LONDON Hackney district: Hackney Central, Dalston, London Fields Hackney
E9 LONDON Homerton district: Homerton, Hackney Wick, South Hackney, Hackney Marshes, Victoria Park Hackney, Tower Hamlets
E10 LONDON Leyton district: Leyton, Temple Mills, Hackney Marshes (part) Upper Clapton (part), Walthamstow Marshes Waltham Forest, Hackney
E11 LONDON Leytonstone district: Leytonstone, Wanstead, Aldersbrook (part), Snaresbrook, Cann Hall Waltham Forest, Redbridge
E12 LONDON Manor Park district: Manor Park, Little Ilford, Aldersbrook (part) Newham, Redbridge
E13 LONDON Plaistow district: Plaistow, West Ham (part), Upton Park (part) Newham
E14 LONDON Poplar district: Poplar, Isle of Dogs, Limehouse, Canary Wharf, Blackwall, Cubitt Town Tower Hamlets
E15 LONDON Stratford district: Stratford, West Ham (part), Maryland, Leyton (part), Leytonstone (part) Temple Mills (part), Hackney Wick (part), Bow (part) Newham, Waltham Forest, Hackney, Tower Hamlets
E16 LONDON Victoria Docks district: Silvertown, North Woolwich, Canning Town, Custom House, London City Airport Newham
E17 LONDON Walthamstow district: Walthamstow, Upper Walthamstow Waltham Forest
E18 LONDON Woodford district: Woodford, South Woodford Redbridge
E77 LONDON Non-geographic postcode district (NatWest, located in E1) Tower Hamlets
E98 LONDON Non-geographic postcode district (News International, located in E1W) Tower Hamlets
:raver:

Not what East London is.

Sewardstone is in Essex. But has an E4 postcode.

You have Redbridge coming under E17, but not the rest?

No, East London is the towns within the London Boroughs of; Tower Hamlets, Hackney, Newham, Waltham Forest, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham, Havering.
GideaParkHammer

Post by GideaParkHammer »

/\/\

You forgot:

E20 - Walford :wink:
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Where the f*** are our stadium designs / plans then? :raver:
patsy was my hero

Post by patsy was my hero »

My own thoughts are,no i really dont want to watch West Ham with a running track in front of me...
no i dont want those ****ers from white ***** lane there either,,,, so i hope neither gets it and it
ends up as a 25,000 athletic stadium
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

patsy was my hero wrote:My own thoughts are,no i really dont want to watch West Ham with a running track in front of me...
no i dont want those w***ers from white s***e lane there either,,,, so i hope neither gets it and it
ends up as a 25,000 athletic stadium

Agree with that, also I would like to see the O's in there...
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

LondonPride wrote: I don't think you know the definition of East London or Essex with your information there, and also with the term local.
Presumably you can back that up with an official definition of these areas and your own analysis of his data.
ForeverHammers

Post by ForeverHammers »

A poll on BBC reveals 81% against Spurs plans to knock the stadium down and rebuild.

Also 72% favoring West Ham United's bid in preference to Spurs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12286340" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LondonPride

Post by LondonPride »

Hammer110 wrote: Presumably you can back that up with an official definition of these areas and your own analysis of his data.
Fortunately I don't need to, legislation and statutes do that for me.

In 1965, Barking and Dagenham, Havering, Redbridge, Waltham Forest and Newham all became part of London and London Boroughs. Beforehand they were all part of Essex. They are all presently under the control of the London Assembly, London Mayor, receive London Waiting for employees, and pay London taxes. They are under the control of Metropolitan Police, London Fire Service and London Ambulance.

Postcodes do not mean anything. Sewardstone, which is in the E4 Postal District, do not vote for any of the London elections, but instead Essex County Council, which has direct control over it.

If you notice driving along the M11, A12 or A127, as soon as you get past Havering/Redbridge/Waltham Forest (those that make up the boundaries of East London) you'll notice a huge sign which says "Welcome to Essex".
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Now I usually hate the Daily Tory-graph, but this is a fantastic article that summarises exactly why we find ourselves in the ludicrous situation today of being lumbered with that ‘effin Running Track, that could and should have been avoided back in 2006!! Headbanger .

Below I’ve quoted my favourite passages:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... -2006.html

‘Richard Caborn, sports minister at the time of the negotiations (2006) with West Ham, said that the failure to engage with football earlier was a missed opportunity.

We did a lot of work with West Ham, who were willing to take on the stadium but wanted retractable seats built into the design. They would have put money in, kept athletics in without compromising on the football side, and it was a win-win situation.”‘

Both Tottenham and West Ham approached the Olympic Board in 2006 to discuss a potential move. Tottenham, who wanted to get rid of the track, were first to be dismissed.

Former government sources say the bid was rejected primarily because of concerns raised by Sir Ian Blair, then commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, who advised he would not grant Spurs a licence because of the potential for trouble caused by fans crossing into West Ham's territory.

…West Ham remained interested. In January 2007 they made a formal offer, a copy of which has been seen by The Daily Telegraph, to take on the stadium if Stade de France-style retractable seats could be built into the initial designs.

The offer, sent by West Ham's finance director Nick Igoe to the ODA's stadium project manager, Ian Crockford, states that the club were interested in taking on the arena if the design brief could be amended, and would put up £100 million to buy the stadium and consider a revenue sharing agreement.

"Our favoured solution would be a stadium without retractable seating which could cover much of the running track in football mode but be withdrawn when in athletics mode," Igoe wrote.

The Olympic board formally dismissed the offer the following month, with Caborn the only observer present arguing for it to be pursued further.

The rejection of West Ham coincided with the Olympic Board taking receipt of a report from consultants PMP Legacy. Remarkably, PMP was told to ignore Premier League football and look only at other sports including rugby and athletics, and lower league clubs including Leyton Orient.

The ODA, which commissioned the report, has consistently refused requests to publish the PMP report and rejected a Freedom of Information request, citing commercial confidentiality.

Orient chairman Barry Hearne insists he made it clear that he would not countenance playing in the stadium with a permanent track, and rugby clubs including Wasps and Saracens could not be persuaded.

Even among Olympic sports there was no demand.

With no sign of the 25,000-seat option being viable, the ODA had no choice but to return to football, and West Ham were approached to see if they could be persuaded to take on the stadium at a 60,000 capacity with running track. The Icelandic owners said no.

West Ham's new owners, David Gold and David Sullivan, have now returned with essentially the same offer..'

- The above also illustrates why I find recent Love-In with 'Lord' Sebastian Coe by some Posters on here so nauseating. He couldn't give a f**k about West Ham. He was part of the ODA that f**ked us over, and because of their arrogance believing they did not need us to prevent it becoming a White Elephant is why we can't have retractable seats over the Running Track today.

The only reason he's only in bed with us now is because he has no other choice. Now they have to live in the 'Real World' where stupidity of the ODA's ridiculous original plan to reduce the Stadium to a 25,000 Bowl that no one wanted is finally exposed and means he has to back G&S's new plan as his last chance of retaining the Athletics legacy he wants.
jon253

Post by jon253 »

GideaParkHammer wrote:/\/\

You forgot:

E20 - Walford :wink:
E20 is the official psot code for the Olympic Park
OLYMPIC STADIUM, OLYMPIC PARK, LONDON..E20 2ST
StiffUpper
Total likes: 1 like

Post by StiffUpper »

While we’ve got every right to move to Stratford for many reasons, I do sympathise with Orient.

Not with Hearn though, I’m not sure exactly what sort of game he’s playing, but he’s wanted to move out of Leyton for a while, with Harlow being the main candidate I believe.
I suspect this Hockey Centre thing is a bit of PR.

Maybe he’s hoping to get a ‘relocation allowance’ from West Ham in exchange for not pursuing time consuming legal arguments.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

WestHamIFC wrote:Now I usually hate the Daily Tory-graph, but this is a fantastic article...
That is a very interesting article WHIFC, ta :thup:
jon253

Post by jon253 »

LondonPride wrote: Presumably you can back that up with an official definition of these areas and your own analysis of his data.
Fortunately I don't need to, legislation and statutes do that for me.

In 1965, Barking and Dagenham, Havering, Redbridge, Waltham Forest and Newham all became part of London and London Boroughs. Beforehand they were all part of Essex. They are all presently under the control of the London Assembly, London Mayor, receive London Waiting for employees, and pay London taxes. They are under the control of Metropolitan Police, London Fire Brigade and London Ambulance.

Postcodes do not mean anything. Sewardstone, which is in the E4 Postal District, do not vote for any of the London elections, but instead Essex County Council, which has direct control over it.

If you notice driving along the M11, A12 or A127, as soon as you get past Havering/Redbridge/Waltham Forest (those that make up the boundaries of East London) you'll notice a huge sign which says "Welcome to Essex".[/quote]

edited for you to show correct name
LondonPride

Post by LondonPride »

Thank you.
jon253

Post by jon253 »

LondonPride wrote:Thank you.
just a shame i could get the quotes right! :)
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

WestHamIFC wrote:Now I usually hate the Daily Tory-graph, but this is a fantastic article that summarises exactly why we find ourselves in the ludicrous situation today of being lumbered with that ‘effin Running Track, that could and should have been avoided back in 2006!! Headbanger.
That's a frustrating read, and no mistake. We could have had it all - new stadium with retractable seats, and without the competing bid from Tottenham which has probably ended up twisting our balls further into the vice financially. Superb foresight from those in charge eh?
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

WestHamIFC wrote:Now I usually hate the Daily Tory-graph, but this is a fantastic article that summarises exactly why we find ourselves in the ludicrous situation today of being lumbered with that ‘effin Running Track, that could and should have been avoided back in 2006!!
I went looking for stuff on this a while ago and struggled to find anything as I've always said something similar in that there was enough put into sorting out ongoing usage, my recollection from the time was that the Icelandics wouldn't put up the £100 million as by that time they were told the stadium requirements and design were set in stone.