Change of Crest?

All you need to know about West Ham United FC's potential move to Stratford.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby GideaParkHammer on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:46 pm

Trap1 wrote:Gidea,

I've explained why!! The Castle was added because of our location, I don't think we should incorporate it from 2014, nor should we have any reference to the Olympics.

Hammers only for me.

Pete,

Are you Barry Hearn??!!!

No need for a name change just a tweak of the logo just like we did in 1903.



Yeah I read your post....and still can not get beyond WHY? Do you just want to destroy all links with the past? I see they are not going to change the colour of the seats...so let's change the kid to black and white.
User avatar
GideaParkHammer
 
Posts: 6283
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Ich Bin Ein Berliner

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby Heysel76 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:52 pm

I guess the castle was added to represent The Boleyn Castle?
However it didn't appear on our shirts until the 1965 ECWC final.
No badge at all appeared on our shirts until 1950 & then it was exclusively crossed hammers (or no badge) until 1966, apart from the 1965 ECWC final.
Crossed hammers only, reappeared 1983-85

So...whats the big deal?, i like Hammers only 父 on shirts personally, but like the whole badge :crest: as the club crest


So, no the official club crest should stay the same IMO
Last edited by Heysel76 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Heysel76
 
Posts: 3716
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:11 pm
Location: 父 父 Hornchurch 父 父

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby Ironworx on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:53 pm

Trap1 wrote:With the move to the Olympic stadium underway, do you believe we should drop the castle and just keep the hammers?


It is not certain that the castle represents the Boleyn Castle, it is just as likely that it represents the Old Castle Swifts, the team that was taken over by Thames Ironworks FC on foundation in 1895....

So the answer is that the question doesn't even arise - No.
Ironworx
 
Posts: 1943
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby Ironworx on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:56 pm

Trap1 wrote:Between 1895 and 1903 there was no Castle. The reason for starting the thread was guage whether people see the Castle as representative of West Ham or a reference to our location in the Green Street.


Correction - 1895 and 1923 so far as I know as I've never seen an earlier one. Which begs the question why was a castle added then ? Could be either Boleyn Castle, Castle Swifts, or both.
Ironworx
 
Posts: 1943
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby Ironworx on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:59 pm

Trap1 wrote:Our castle looks nothing like the real one!!

[img]
http://www.markfynn.com/images/Lon002.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/img]


Our castle looked exactly like the one in the photo from 1923 to the late 1950s. Only in the late 1950s was it revised to look sililar to the one used today.
Ironworx
 
Posts: 1943
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby Welling on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:03 am

Deja vu :think:
User avatar
Welling
 
Posts: 5329
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:13 pm
Location: Living in the past, dying in the future.

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby James P on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:11 am

Heysel76 wrote: So...whats the big deal?, i like Hammers only 父 on shirts personally, but like the whole badge :crest: as the club crest


Sorry to keep banging the same drum but again this is marketing suicide. No smart club would do this. You want the crest on the shirt to appear on your merchandise and for that merchandise to be sold the world over. That's how you draw the revenues to become a big club and have people handing you money from Barking to Brisbane.
User avatar
James P
 
Posts: 11129
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:55 pm
Location: Romford

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby WCpete on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:20 am

Trap1 wrote:Gidea,

I've explained why!! The Castle was added because of our location, I don't think we should incorporate it from 2014, nor should we have any reference to the Olympics.

Hammers only for me.

Pete,

Are you Barry Hearn??!!!

No need for a name change just a tweak of the logo just like we did in 1903.

I hope I'm not him. That would be a blow.

Also out of curiosity, are you (singular) asking, or are you (plural) asking?
WCpete
 
Posts: 9394
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:11 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby Muddy on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:26 am

mokum hammer wrote:& replace it with what exactly?

StiffUpper wrote:
Maybe a pair of binoculars

Well done, that made me burst out laughing. :thup:
User avatar
Muddy
 
Posts: 11238
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:50 pm
Location: Enfield, In the grim parts of North London

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby eastsider on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:31 am

No way get rid of the castle, why when we will have a moat at the OS!!!
COYI
User avatar
eastsider
 
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby Hammer110 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:02 am

StiffUpper wrote:Maybe a pair of binoculars

Muddy wrote:Well done, that made me burst out laughing. :thup:


Image
User avatar
Hammer110
 
Posts: 2482
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:56 pm
Location: Looking forward to the new season, new league, new challenges, bring it on. 父 父

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby Up the Junction on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:02 am

yonni wrote:If we no longer play at the Boleyn why keep it?

It's been a while since we launched a warship too.

By this rationale there's no reason for keeping the crossed hammers either.

Trap1 wrote:Between 1895 and 1903 there was no Castle.

And between 192x-2011 there has been.

Trap1 wrote:The reason for starting the thread was guage whether people see the Castle as representative of West Ham...

See above.

An Englishman's home is his castle, whether it be in Upton Park or Stratford...
User avatar
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
 
Posts: 40776
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:03 am

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby Muddy on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:15 am

That's class Hammer110 :thup:
User avatar
Muddy
 
Posts: 11238
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:50 pm
Location: Enfield, In the grim parts of North London

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby smfc on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:18 am

No,

Why? See UTJs post, says it all really.
User avatar
smfc
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: Wanstead flats for a kickabout

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:47 am

S'okay lads, when the Gollivans DO change the crest they'll be yet again able to say that the fans were consulted.

:wink:
User avatar
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
 
Posts: 22995
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:19 pm
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby The Old Mile End on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:29 am

Trap - how can I say this politely?

Go forth and multiply.

For others who may be interested, you will find the crest / badge thread in the archives (might have made Hall of Fame). Was discussed and researched (but not conclusively) last year.

The castle could have been there from day one of West Ham, even if not on the shirts. It has certainly been there on the official badge since the move to the Boleyn. It has become as much a part of West Ham United as the crossed hammers, claret and blue and bubbles. Remove it, and you further the process of alienating people who are proud of the traditions they believe the club upholds.

What right do newcomers have to come in and remove the traditions of this club? Regardless of who they are and how much money they have.
:crest: x 1,000,000 to you Trap!
User avatar
The Old Mile End
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:40 pm
Location: Singing in the Kharzi, sussing out the moon

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby Benfleet Pete on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:19 am

Lose the castle and replace it with the 5 Olympic rings overlayed by the crossed hammers and at the same time change our name to the Stratford Dons or even better; the Olympic Dons. It won't matter because really, we will all know that we are still West Ham United. Then in five years, lose the crossed hammers.
User avatar
Benfleet Pete
 
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:17 am
Location: See if you can guess.

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby RichieRiv on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:04 am

I see your ADHD is getting no better trap.

Now run along and play Football Club Executive
User avatar
RichieRiv
 
Posts: 8288
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:35 pm
Location: http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby Dan1326 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:12 am

Ironworx wrote:Correction - 1895 and 1923 so far as I know as I've never seen an earlier one. Which begs the question why was a castle added then ? Could be either Boleyn Castle, Castle Swifts, or both.


Thats what I thought, the link is on page 2 :wink:
User avatar
Dan1326
 
Posts: 7282
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:31 pm

Re: Change of Crest?

Postby yonni on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:17 am

Up the Junction wrote:It's been a while since we launched a warship too.

By this rationale there's no reason for keeping the crossed hammers either.



True but as we are know the world over as the Hammers that is a very good reason to keep them where as we are not know outside clued up fans for playing on (or near) the former site of Boleyn House or as United with the Castle Swifts. Actually, on that point, as we are "united" it would follow that the two separate emblems on the same crest represent each club and the castle has nothing to do with the Boleyn gound. Hmm, I maybe rethinking my position now.

"Sorry to keep banging the same drum but again this is marketing suicide. No smart club would do this. You want the crest on the shirt to appear on your merchandise and for that merchandise to be sold the world over. That's how you draw the revenues to become a big club and have people handing you money from Barking to Brisbane."

Don't agree - this arguement only holds true for an academic discussion on branding but as football "brands" are more than their marketing logo (in fact when is it really used for marketing outside the UK anyway?), they are famous players which do far more to sell shirts and allegiance abroad. On your point no big brand like coke etc. would ever dare to change their logo when they have quite clearly done it several times. No one is suggesting going so far from the original, changing colours, name and logo as to be unrecognisable.
User avatar
yonni
 
Posts: 2040
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:11 am
Location: In Cockney Hammer's Claret & Blue Army

PreviousNext

Return to The Olympic Stadium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests