Barry Hearn

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ironworx

Re: Barry Hearn

Post by Ironworx »

But what would he have a judicial review of ?

He could apply to have the awarding process reviewed, but there was nothing in that process about how near or far we would be from the Orient ground ! It wasn't a consideration, so how could it be reviewed as improperly proceeded ?

So far as I know there's nothing anywhere other than in PL rules that says how close grounds can be to one another, that's PL rules not the law and the PL have already given the go ahead....

I can see that he might have a grievance, but I can't see anywhere that he's got case that might stand on two feet in court
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

GideaParkHammer wrote: "So Mr Hearns, you are so concerned with the impact of West Ham moving close to Brisbane Rd, that your proposal to remedy this situation is to ask for land that is even closer to where West Ham are planning to move to. Now where is my black cap?"
:lol:

Can I add another contradiction that has been puzzling me.

Hearn says running tracks and football don't work. If that's the case won't it benefit Orient. Disillusioned WHU fans boycotting West Ham matches as they can't see the action. West Hams gates go down, maybe to less than they are now...........some might pop into Brisbane Road to see a match "close up".
wham1966

Post by wham1966 »

Ironworx wrote:But what would he have a judicial review of ?

He could apply to have the awarding process reviewed, but there was nothing in that process about how near or far we would be from the Orient ground ! It wasn't a consideration, so how could it be reviewed as improperly proceeded ?

So far as I know there's nothing anywhere other than in PL rules that says how close grounds can be to one another, that's PL rules not the law and the PL have already given the go ahead....

I can see that he might have a grievance, but I can't see anywhere that he's got case that might stand on two feet in court
His contention is that the PL didn't do a proper assessment of the impact of WHU or Spurs moving to the OS, under their own rules. They simply waved it through. In a courtroom, the PL would be in squeaky bum time.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Why is everyone saying this prick will sue or take legal action against West Ham? ****ing hell we were awarded the Stadium by the OPLC. He has no ****ing grounds to sue us, we were awarded the Stadium if anything he would have a case against THEM not us.
Bedshammer

Post by Bedshammer »

http://leytonorient2.com/forum/viewtopi ... 64e8180145" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

If they move into the Hockey Stadium West Ham will be dead in 10 years...............keep off Barry :lol:
Ironworx

Post by Ironworx »

wham1966 wrote:His contention is that the PL didn't do a proper assessment of the impact of WHU or Sp*rs moving to the OS, under their own rules. They simply waved it through. In a courtroom, the PL would be in squeaky bum time.
It still doesn't make any sense as Orient arn't a premier league club so why should PL rules be in any way applicable to them ?
Barking Iron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Barking Iron »

I really cant stand this irritating prick doesn't he realize how he would make a complete fool of himself if he tried suing us or OPLC, He's argument has no grounds anyway because I am pretty sure west ham and orient wont be playing at home on the same week.
wham1966

Post by wham1966 »

Ironworx wrote:[It still doesn't make any sense as Orient arn't a premier league club so why should PL rules be in any way applicable to them ?
Point 6.5 of Section I of the Premier League rules regarding ground registration states: “The [Premier League] Board shall have regard to all the circumstances of the case [for moving stadium] and shall not consent unless reasonably satisfied that such consent would not adversely affect Clubs (or Football League clubs) having registered their grounds in the immediate vicinity of the proposed location.”

It's not just PL clubs.
Ironworx

Post by Ironworx »

wham1966 wrote:
Point 6.5 of Section I of the Premier League rules regarding ground registration states: “The [Premier League] Board shall have regard to all the circumstances of the case [for moving stadium] and shall not consent unless reasonably satisfied that such consent would not adversely affect Clubs (or Football League clubs) having registered their grounds in the immediate vicinity of the proposed location.”

It's not just PL clubs.
Another wonderfully worded PL rule...

Immediate Vicinity - What does that mean ?

If somebody says in the immediate vicinity then I think that the general understanding is not more than 100M or so from, certainly not half a mile, a mile or a few miles...

It is very arguable that the two grounds are not in the immediate vicinity of one another given that some grounds are in the immediate vicinity of one another in accordance with general understanding of the term - Notts C and Forest...

Yet if you interpret immediate vicinity to mean much more then whats the difference to the existing situation where the Orient and West Ham grounds are already within a few miles of one another ?
loopyludo

Post by loopyludo »

As the crow flies according to Gmap Pedometer
We are currently just under three miles (2.97) from them:- http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4308350
OS is a little over a mile and a half (1.55) from them:- http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4308338
OS is a little under two and a half miles (2.45) from Upton Park:- http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4308353

I am waiting to see how exactly he is going to quantify us moving less than a mile (0.9) closer to them is going to affect his gates, more so than they already do. What is he going to say he will lose 500 fans for every 100 yards we move closer????

* Note my approximation of the OS maybe out slightly
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

It's not us moving closer that's the problem. It's us offering £5 tickets in this amazing new stadium.
loopyludo

Post by loopyludo »

HammerMan2004 wrote:It's not us moving closer that's the problem. It's us offering £5 tickets in this amazing new stadium.
Fair comment, however already this season there have been plenty of offers on tickets, it's been the most affordable season to take the kids for quite some time. Why is he not threatening legal action about that?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Because I doubt the odd game in 10 at low prices is going to make a difference. Consistently offering £5/10 tickets at our stadium offering Premier League football will be his arguement with regards keeping Leyton Orient visited in the future.

What I don't get is how he thinks a hockey stadium move will improve his chances...

Come watch Leyton Orient for £10...or....go watch the world's best footballers 150 feet down the path for the same price...
Ironworx

Post by Ironworx »

loopyludo wrote:As the crow flies according to Gmap Pedometer
We are currently just under three miles (2.97) from them:- http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4308350
OS is a little over a mile and a half (1.55) from them:- http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4308338
OS is a little under two and a half miles (2.45) from Upton Park:- http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4308353

I am waiting to see how exactly he is going to quantify us moving less than a mile (0.9) closer to them is going to affect his gates, more so than they already do. What is he going to say he will lose 500 fans for every 100 yards we move closer????

* Note my approximation of the OS maybe out slightly
Good post :thup:

Well, none of those distances accord with my appreciation of 'Immediate Vicinity', surely immediate vicinity means closer than is measured in miles...

But equally none of the distances are very far...

I really can't see how the difference is going to make any odds to them, surely a difference of under a mile isn't going to encourage anybody to watch West Ham
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

Bedshammer wrote:http://leytonorient2.com/forum/viewtopi ... 64e8180145" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not having Orient in Newham thats our turf, can we launch a legal appeal :lol:
Ironworx

Post by Ironworx »

HammerMan2004 wrote:It's not us moving closer that's the problem. It's us offering £5 tickets in this amazing new stadium.
We'd need better info to quantify that (and so would he) What will be the prices to watch Orient and West Ham at that time ?

But it's more complicated than that even....

To what extent do Premiership and League One teams compete for attendances ?

And football is unusual for it's brand loyalty, how many Orient fans would ever swap to West Ham ?

So far as future fans are concerned that fight was lost by Orient a long time ago, we've remained a top flight team in the main but not only have they slipped from being a second flight team to third flight but the separation of the flights has increased as well......
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

We are West Ham United...come from West Ham and have always played in the East London.

Leyton Orient were originally Clapton Orient and played in North London until 1937.

Leyton Orient are now moaning about us going onto "their turf",,,although they will be happy moving into a smaller stadium next to the OS (moving even nearer).

I think that sort of sums up the Hearn argument...and why the Spuds fan has no chance.
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

I've a mate who's a spurs fan ( football aside he's a diamond bloke ), he was saying that if we move to Stratford we would cease to be in West Ham and should change our name to Stratford FC as we wouldn't be in West Ham anymore. I then told him we weren't in West Ham at the moment and ain't been for some considerable years, we were in fact in Upton Park.
Before he could carry on I explained that we couldn't change our name back then because there was already an Upton Park FC who played in West Ham park ( and scored the first goal in the first ever FA competition there ).
He then shut up and changed the subject to how many pubs local to the ground would probably close. I'd like to thank those off of here that gave me the knowledge to counter his argument ( mostly Ironworks I suspect ).
If I got any of that wrong then he wasn't the wiser........ :lol:
GideaParkHammer

Post by GideaParkHammer »

Wot? I thought that, when confronted by supporters of more successful clubs, the West Ham way was to respond with the timeless..."Well we won the World Cup". All this history malarky is so hard to remember after a few pints and I would probably come out with something about Green St FC scoring the most goals in the Zenith Data Cup. I think I will stick to the World Cup win and mentioning Katy Perry in "that" basque.