West Ham Utd 3 Liverpool 1 (27/02/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Liverpool: match thread

Post by Up the Junction »

The throw-in Halsey gave in our favour when Bridge took one in the mush instantly cancelled out anything that's gone against us this season.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Up the Junction wrote:The throw-in Halsey gave in our favour when Bridge took one in the mush instantly cancelled out anything that's gone against us this season.
What about Picy's goal at Wolves?

Imagine how the league table would look if that was given?
Dan1326
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Dan1326 »

Oh that's fine, it was only a mistake that he guessed the handball that he had no scientific or realistic way of seeing it
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Up the Junction wrote:The throw-in Halsey gave in our favour when Bridge took one in the mush instantly cancelled out anything that's gone against us this season.
That was comedy in it's finest format. :lol:
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

An excellent result, garnered by what is, ostensibly at least, our strongest team. We may have been missing Keane, Obinna, and Collison (who I believe will not make an impact on this season), however, we were as strong as we could be. Finally, we have not had to make do with attempting to stick "square pegs into round holes" with players like Ben Haim, Gabbidon, Boa Morte, and Spector. Further, we have not been forced to rely on mercenary journeymen like Kovac, McCarthy, Illunga, Faubert, Dyer and Behrami, whose dubious commitment levels is matched by their respective ability levels.

Our new signings are showing well, and appear to be what the team has needed. Demba Ba, and Hitzelsperger look the real deal. Furthermore, you can take nothing away from the likes of Gary O Neil, who seems to be a crafty and well chosen purchase.

The backline seemed strong and resolute, and ensured that a decent Liverpool forward-line didnt have much joy throughout the game. The midfield showed genuine class in bossing the game, while Piquionne and Ba were a handful ! Well done West Ham !

My Ratings

R.Green 7 Nothing much to do until late in the game. One excellent save from Suarez
L.Jacobson 7 Contributed at the back, and going forward. Could have sneaked a goal.
W.Bridge 6 Solid, but could add more in attack. A player of undoubted ability, but doesnt seem interested.
M.Upson 8 Calm, cool and collected. His return was crucial today, and highlights how important he is.
J.Tomkins 8 Another exceelent day for the young boy. Two crucial last ditch tackles preserved the lead !
G.O'Neill 7 Lots of running. A good positional sense. Excellent cross for Demba's goal.
S.Parker 9 Res Ipsa Loquitor
T.Hitzelsperger 8 As good a PL debut as he could have wished for. An eye for a pass, and can break midfield deadlocks.
M.Noble 7 Competent and confident. Some over-running of the ball, but generally good.
D.Ba 8 Adds a new dimension to the frontline. It is clear taht he will be a massive player in the run in.
F.Piquionne 7 Lots of running, and links well with Ba.

J.Spector N/A
C.Cole 7 Made a noteworthy contribution on arrival.
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

hawkins_hammer wrote: What about Picy's goal at Wolves?

Imagine how the league table would look if that was given?
I try not to as i end up getting wound up.
theflafson

Post by theflafson »

How come I'm the only one giving credit to Ba on his website? The guy puts in a lot of effort on and off the field, we should give him more credit for it.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

theflafson wrote:How come I'm the only one giving credit to Ba on his website? The guy puts in a lot of effort on and off the field, we should give him more credit for it.

Whats the URL?

I remember some of us trying some french comments on Ilungas blog, when he was putting in the performances (ie when he was on loan)
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

When Scotty scored who did he run over to in the crowd while pointing? Couldn't tell on the tellie.
Last edited by WCpete on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

WCpete wrote:When Scotty scored who done run over to in the crowd while pointing? Couldn't tell on the tellie.

Wife and kids in a box if I'm not mistaken.
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

Faubert was sitting in one of the boxes in the direction he was pointing... Surely couldn't be him?
King Guy

Post by King Guy »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote: Whats the URL?
http://www.demba-ba.eu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol: some good stuff in there
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

To emphasise my theme on it being players that matter .

Starting line up when we last played them :

Green, Jacobsen, Gabbs, Upson, Ilunga, Noble, Kovac, LBM, Obinna, Piquionne,Cole .

The ones in Bold started today .As did Tomkins, Parker, Ba, Bridge, O'Neil and Hitzelsperger .

We had the same Manager for both games .
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

the pink palermo wrote:To emphasise my theme on it being players that matter .

Starting line up when we last played them :

Green, Jacobsen, Gabbs, Upson, Ilunga, Noble, Kovac, LBM, Obinna, Piquionne,Cole .

The ones in Bold started today .As did Tomkins, Parker, Ba, Bridge, O'Neil and Hitzelsperger .

We had the same Manager for both games .
:thup: Good point. It's fair to say that the manager should be able to deal with injuries and not have us bottom the entire season, but our injury list has been ridiculous at times. Out of that squad - Gabbs, LBM, Kovac and Ilunga can't even get onto our bench with a full squad and one of Piq/Cole would be on the bench. Avram has been dealt a hard card this season but since that particular game our form has constantly improved and since the new signings it has improved even further. I'm very excited about the finish to the season.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

WCpete wrote:When Scotty scored who did he run over to in the crowd while pointing? Couldn't tell on the tellie.
His dad who has been recovering from surgery.
[HH]
In the closet
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by [HH] »

I thought Noble was very lucky to get a second chance at the corner (from which Piq nearly scored from). If that had been Gerrard, we'd have been accusing the ref of 'big club bias'. :think:
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Been on Bas site but was a Bit worried about "entering Demba Ba", He also discribes Cole has having a beautiful entrance too.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

[HH] wrote:I thought Noble was very lucky to get a second chance at the corner (from which Piq nearly scored from). If that had been Gerrard, we'd have been accusing the ref of 'big club bias'. :think:
That was quite funny. He blatantly ****ed up, and then handballed it before Kuyt could grab the ball.

Anyway, a great performance from beginning to end and three good goals to boot. It's vrey telling for me that this was the first time this season we've been able to field what could be viewed as our strongest team, and we look very good for it.

Feeling confident we can get results against Stoke and Spurs at the moment, which up to this point all season long I've dreaded virtually every game.

Starting to look like the West Brom game could be the big turning point of the season.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Any link to Highlights ??
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

sendô wrote: It's vrey telling for me that this was the first time this season we've been able to field what could be viewed as our strongest team, and we look very good for it.

Starting to look like the West Brom game could be the big turning point of the season.
Yes, the fightback at the Hawthorns was key .A sure sign they had not given up and were willing to scrap for points .

I may have mentioned it before but having your best players available tends to make a difference to most Managers ability to get results .