West Ham Utd 2 Manchester Utd4 (02/04/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

vind

Re: West Ham Utd vs Manchester Utd: Match Thread

Post by vind »

Just got back and still feel gutted, shouldn't have thrown a 2 goal lead but look at what they had to throw at us, Hernandez, Berbatov.

Should have got a point, but this loss doesn't mean we are getting relegated, there are still twists and turns here. Not sure why people are going on about Upson, first half he was good and think of how many times we have conceded on corners
Essex 'Ammer12

Post by Essex 'Ammer12 »

While I do think we could of won if not for the ref, I don't know what some people expect.

Criticising Grant is simply unnecassary, this is a team who are top of the league, and can bring on Berbatov and Hernandez do change a game. That's how much strength in depth they have, seriously, our players gave their all today and gave them a game but they were simply better than us and once the first goal went in there was only going to be one outcome.
MonkeyHarris

Post by MonkeyHarris »

Being a pessimist and a born loser I put a score on the Mancs at 25-1 when we were 2 up. This usually works. I'd rather have had the 3 points.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

AlfieG wrote:Yes Vidic could/should have been sent off and Upsons 'handball' is debatable, but im not certain even that would have made a lot of difference because we barely touched the ball in the second half.......
Vidic goes and they're left with Smalling and Carrick at centre half for half the game. I'd say it'd have made a difference.
Olliek92
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Olliek92 »

sorry if already mentioned, but man utd didn't take many fans today did they?

overall i didn't expect to win, but after being 2-0 up it is a little bit disappointing. they have better players and a slightly favourable referee. end of.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

We cant win games against this kind of opposition.

Defensively we have improved considerably and conceding two goals from open play is not a disaster.

But whilst our usual three midfielders have a good understanding,can play themselves out of trouble,and are rarely dispossessed, they do not have the pace necessary to make sufficient space for themselves to develop an attack.

I was unhappy that O'Neill started..He and Jacobson provided no penetration I think this was a game where Sears should have been in that position.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

**** happens..

You go in against The Germans at 2-2 in teh World Cup & it's a differend Game, you go in at HT against Man United at 2-0 & against 10 Men it's a different Game..

I feel the same about the latter as i did with the first one..

2 fcukign horrific decisions, or non decisions should we say..

AND the c*** should have been sent off WITHOTU A FCUKIGN DOUBT on a Bookign already, wwith the tackle against ba after 49 mins..

Horrific..

Never mind, i thought we weren't too great today overall, didn't press enough nor win enough of the Ball & they were only bonus Points anyway..

Onwards & upwards West Ham..
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

DaCosta or Tomkins,

I'd go for Tomkins
Bobby Orangeboom

Pop Robson wrote:DaCosta or Tomkins,

I'd go for Tomkins
Are you serious Pop ??

Da Costa was MOTM by a million miles today Fella..

What about the Joker he had beside him who AGAIN, REGULARY gave possesion away with alarming regularity ??

Or is he immune from ciritcism these days ??

Surely not even Chuck could defend him today ??
beckton

Post by beckton »

Up the Junction wrote: Vidic goes and they're left with Smalling and Carrick at centre half for half the game. I'd say it'd have made a difference.

Are you suggesting that if Man U had lost there best defender and gone down to 10 men it could have changed the game. Nah never, it was all down to Grant's tactics.

P.S. and Upson. :lol:
Bobby Orangeboom

beckton wrote:
P.S. and Upson.
No, he was Beckenbauer esque again today..
beckton

Post by beckton »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: No, he was Beckenbauer esque again today..

Not quite but not as bad as you constantly claim. :D
GideaParkHammer

Post by GideaParkHammer »

beckton wrote:

Are you suggesting that if Man U had lost there best defender and gone down to 10 men it could have changed the game. Nah never, it was all down to Grant's tactics.

P.S. and Upson. :lol:
Let's face facts here. Yeah the game may have been different if Utd were down to 10 men, but we seem to have spent the season blaming everything on the ref.

The truth is they were the better side. Not marginally, but like men vs boys. Teams like Stoke and Wolves can grind a draw of flukey wins against the top boys. We try to play football, and they give us a full wedgie before leaving our pants around their ankles. I am not being to critical of the team, they thumped Liverpool, Stoke etc playing the same way, but we can simply not cope with a team out-matching us at football and attack us with speed.

If Utd had gone to 10 men, we may have only lost 3-2, but we would have lost. We were simply beaten by a FAR better team
mattjp
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by mattjp »

Olliek92 wrote:sorry if already mentioned, but man utd didn't take many fans today did they?
Again, don't know what's been said already in this thread, but it had been speculated a few days ago that they'd been given a reduced allocation because of persistent standing at previous matches.
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

Another question that was mention in the pub after

The idea for changing the front 2 at half time, Cole & Ba for Keane and Piq
beckton

Post by beckton »

GideaParkHammer wrote:
If Utd had gone to 10 men, we may have only lost 3-2, but we would have lost. We were simply beaten by a FAR better team

But we will never know, big decisions have gone against us this season, Ferguson threw the cavalry on it would have most likely been a different game if they had been down to ten men.

In those circumstances he may have took the defeat and saved players for the Champions League, it's all hypotheticals.
GideaParkHammer

Pop Robson wrote:Another question that was mention in the pub after

The idea for changing the front 2 at half time, Cole & Ba for Keane and Piq
I think most of the BML and the Railway in Hornchurch were saying the same thing. Ba looked like he was injured. Slow and cumbersome. Cole was like Bambi on Ice. I actually fancied bringing on Obinna and Piq for those two. We needed a little pace.
GideaParkHammer

beckton wrote:

But we will never know, big decisions have gone against us this season, Ferguson threw the cavalry on it would have most likely been a different game if they had been down to ten men.

In those circumstances he may have took the defeat and saved players for the Champions League, it's all hypotheticals.
Yep, if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

GideaParkHammer wrote:
I think most of the BML and the Railway in Hornchurch were saying the same thing. Ba looked like he was injured. Slow and cumbersome. Cole was like Bambi on Ice. I actually fancied bringing on Obinna and Piq for those two. We needed a little pace.
and when Giggs was at left back, he had so much room !!
Iron Mark
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

For all their possession (and the fact they had three top strikers on the pitch), I certainly don't remember them creating that much.

With the correct refereeing decisions, this game could have quite easily gone our way.