Chelsea 3 West Ham Utd 0 (23/04/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

m-h

Re: Chelsea FC v West Ham United FC Match Thread

Post by m-h »

Started the match thread, and didn't get the win. Next time...

Support, you couldn't ask for more.

Cheers.
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by upton girlie »

. ↑ .

Lovely man - good meeting you :thup:

(got a decent photo of you on the boat too...)
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

:oops:

whoops.
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

We did a lot better than I was expecting today, attacking-wise, we got in behind them so many times and lacked the finish, we are still defensively poor though, nobody went with Lampard for the goal, you know what he is good at, be ready for it, I think it was Hitzlsperger that couldnt be bothered to run with him.

If you could give Carlton Cole the shooting ability of Demba Ba then we would score lots of goals.

Torres got lucky for his goal, the water stopped it perfectly to make gabbidon unable to turn back, it was obvious he was going to score, the fact that it came up on sky sports news on their ticker bar that torres had scored his first chelsea goal had me stunned in amazement.

Da Costa was pretty poor all game, could have done much better for the first and third goals.

If we had put that much effort in all season we would be nowhere near the drop, Grant got the shape right today, sears did very well on the wing and had ashley cole chasing shadows a couple of times. We just won't perform like that against team of an equal standard to us because they will play very tight and put men behind the ball and we don't have the quality to break them down.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

the pink palermo wrote:We will all be back on this thread later on tonight celebrating a famous victory .

That is all .
Didn't have you down as a Chelsea fan Pinky! :wink:
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Keanes chance that he stuck wide had that awful "that was our big chance to kick-start something" feeling to it.

A key part of the game is about taking you're chances and doing so at the right times, its about playing hard for a full 45/90mins and the last two matches have shown categorically that we do not do that.
Essex 'Ammer12

Post by Essex 'Ammer12 »

Was Tomkins on the bench as I saw him on Match of the Day?

If so why is he now behind Da Costa AND Gabbidon in the pecking order?
DICAN10

Post by DICAN10 »

50 million pound striker and he needed a puddle to help him score :thup:
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Well played young Freddie, great game :thup:
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

Unlike others i have only seen the highlights on MOTD ,but how the f*** did we lose that 0-3?
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

Oldun wrote:Unlike others i have only seen the highlights on MOTD ,but how the f*** did we lose that 0-3?
exactly mate
chance after ****ing chance
the MOTD highlights was the match
\

HOW DID KEANE ****ing MISS!?!?
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

:think:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

the pink palermo wrote:We will all be back on this thread later on tonight celebrating a famous victory .

That is all .
hammerdivone wrote:

Didn't have you down as a Chelsea fan Pinky! :wink:
Ha, bloody Ha HD1 .

Just gotten home after a difficult train journey where the driver took a right turn instead of left - seriously .

Well , what a magnificent afternoon and evening out in West London .Extremely proud to be a Hammer tonight because we gave Chelsea a real game today .

With some better finishing - and poor Robbie Keane will have nightmares for one he missed - we could have gotten a point , and who knows maybe more . Sears and Spector both had good games , and other than the first 20 minutes I thought we competed all over the pitch : we were playing a side who still believe they have a chance of winning the league ,and yet I felt we battled and refused to bow down .

Anyone who thinks that was a 3-0 game is kidding themselves .I'll accept most of the quality on show was in Blue shirts but we had some decent class as well .Ba had some good moments and I thought Cole did better than most posters appear to believe .To all the Twits that gave Gabbs abuse on his Twitter account last week - when Villa scored after clearly pushing him - he gave a robust riposte today .
It was nice to see the Chairman David Gold pop across and say good afternoon to our fans before kick off .The travelling support was beyond awesome today , a few were certainly beyond walking - but nobody I spoke with thought the scoreline reflected the performance our lads put in .The application to a man was good .

A battling, defiant refusal to go quietly into that night .

Perform even half as well as that in our final 3 games, and it'll be PL football at the Bolyen next season .
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

Thats a disgrace, deserves its own thread,
pardon.
mattjp
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by mattjp »

If only we played like that all the time we'd be fine. We gave Chelsea a real good game today, and the 3-0 scoreline didn't reflect the match.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

What planet is Grant on?

He just said on MOTD that "we defended well"

Whilst we battled well in midfield, and missed some gilt edged chances up front, we did not defend well!
Essex bill

Post by Essex bill »

Had a great day.

Very sunburnt and hungover now though. :cry:

Our travelling support is the ****ing b*llocks.
DagenhamHammer

Post by DagenhamHammer »

I thought we played really well, we were unlucky to concede the goal against the run of play right before half time.

Torres having the ball stop in the water was just plain luck ...

When you are at the wrong end of the table, luck tends to go against you, every time the ball got stuck in water it went against us, I remember the Ba shot which Cech parried, and Cole won the header, just got killed by the puddle allowing Chelsea to clear, without the rain, that would have been a shot on target at least.

I think this goes to show, that sears could be quite an important player in the run in, he was playing well before hitzlperger returned to fitness, and i think he has played he's way back into the team today. If Noble is out now, put parker back in and play the same team. (Thought he was wrong to take off Cole though)
tjr008
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by tjr008 »

That photo of Grant with Torres... Sorry, but that shows a total indifference to West Ham as a club. Why is this man still here? He's out of his depth, a total fraud & so very, very bad at his job.
DagenhamHammer

Post by DagenhamHammer »

I think people are very naive ...

Grant is a football manager, he is brought in to win a team games (granted he is not doing this well either) ... He has no affinity to the club, and no passion for the club. His passion is to his job.

This is why Mourinho is so successful, because he is so passionate about himself, he wants to be successful himself. He doesnt give a **** about the team, he just wants to be better!... What does it matter what Grant says, how do we know he hasnt said something like, i cant believe they paid 50 mil and you still aint scored?

Mourinho, if we got him, the greatest club manager in the world, he is very pally with lots of players, because he knows them, and has probably managed them. I dont think its a big a deal as people are making out! Especially when its torres, its hardly a hated enemy!