West Ham Utd 0 Cardiff City 1 (07/08/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Re: West Ham Utd v Cardiff City: match thread

Post by The Rebirth »

DrVenk wrote: Exactly my thoughts about Barrera. He clearly has more quality than anyone else we have in the RW position, but his confidence needs building.
My team for the next game would be this.

Green
Ilunga
Reid
Tomkins
O'Brien
Taylor
Nolan
Noble/Parker
Barrera
Piqqy/Carew
Sears

4-4-2

I leave out Collison because he always looks knackered and he didn't do much yesterday if I'm honest. People will defend him but from where I was in the BML I couldn't see anything special from him he was the wrong guy to replace Noble.

Nolan for a big lad does put in the mileage.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Dunno Chuck haven't timed them. The NFL players can run 40 yards in a about 4-5 seconds so maybe I was a bit optimistic that our lot could cover 20 yards in 10.....

:lol:

Still begs the question about how a ball is played up to a "hold up player" though. Then you and me wouldn't be having a discussion about how many headers he did or didn't win..

massifflolz
markping

Post by markping »

I think the phrase 'same **** different league' sums the match up for me. Matt taylor was brilliant as well as Reid who had an excellent game. Unfortunately Scott parker had a clumsy one and Freddie Sears, for me, was also unimpressive. Green should have saved it yea but he made some awesome saves earlier in the game. I think it was one of those days where the usual inability to hold on to a win has plagued west ham once more.. Once we start to win a few (hopefully) then confidence will grow and the silly mistakes will be few and far between (hopefully).

my 1st forum post :)

COYI
Mansfield_Hammer
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Mansfield_Hammer »

I avoided posting anything yesterday, was just pissed off after the match thinking same old ****, etc.

In hindsight though, we played fairly well against one of the best teams in this league and on another day would have been 2 or 3-0 up.

Onwards and upwards, bring on Donny.
djclipz
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

The Rebirth wrote:

I leave out Collison because he always looks knackered and he didn't do much yesterday if I'm honest. People will defend him but from where I was in the BML I couldn't see anything special from him he was the wrong guy to replace Noble.
I agree... he didn't get into the game at all... and will probably take him a long while before we see anything to rave about from him.

What was the reason Noble went off, fitness?

I def would have put Barrera on a lot earlier too, i assume he'll start tomorro!
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

djclipz wrote: I def would have put Barrera on a lot earlier too, i assume he'll start tomorro!
think the latest reports are that he's on his way to spain.
djclipz
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

ahhhhh fanny.

Stanislas maybe then...? although he prob still injured
rusty Iron

Post by rusty Iron »

I keep reading here that people thought Ilunga played well......WTF......he was absolute pony.........and I'm not overly critical of him for the goal, I felt he was fouled, but his distribution was atrocious........bring back Linda.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 132 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Finally back home after the 12 hour bus trip from hell to Inverness. Not too worried about the performance, thought we played some decent stuff at times when not pumping it up to Piq. Felt like most have said Sears was poor, will not take on his man and crossing is average at best. Thought that Matty Taylor was brilliant up until around 70 minutes then looked completely ****ed. Winston Reid for MOTM though, was very impressed.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

rusty Iron wrote:I keep reading here that people thought Ilunga played well......WTF......he was absolute pony.........and I'm not overly critical of him for the goal, I felt he was fouled, but his distribution was atrocious........bring back Linda.
I was actually pleasantly surprised by Ilunga for the most part. Especially in the way that he tended to be the lone man left back when the others went up for corners and he seemed to deal with the responsibility very well.

Sadly I could see what was going to happen with that last error a good three seconds before he did it. It will happen with limited players though.
humppis

Post by humppis »

At least we can now forget blaming Allardyce making them not play football the "West Ham-way".

Because: Were still on the driving seat for 70 or so minutes without scoring a single goal, then fall back and start fearing the defeat, and making one stupid mistake and let the opposition score from their 1st or 2nd goalbound shot.

But thats how it is supporting West Ham. Continuous misery, which is only to be interrupted by occasional disaster.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Ilunga had a good game yesterday.

Apart from that incident, obviously.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2906 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I still think we battered them .

I'm going to watch it agin now, just to check .
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

humppis wrote:At least we can now forget blaming Allardyce making them not play football the "West Ham-way".

Because: Were still on the driving seat for 70 or so minutes without scoring a single goal, then fall back and start fearing the defeat, and making one stupid mistake and let the opposition score from their 1st or 2nd goalbound shot.

But thats how it is supporting West Ham. Continuous misery, which is only to be interrupted by occasional disaster.
Made me smile. Thanks. Spot on.

I decided yesterday that I will not force my children to support West Ham. Just gently cajole them maybe ;-)
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Wish football teams were like supermarkets ~ I'd shop elsewhere...

:lol:
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

We might of edged the game - but we certainly didn't batter them.
riksdodgydeals

Post by riksdodgydeals »

Dont sit on the last seat in the row in the bobby moore cos the roof seems to stop short thats my tip :-)

Played ok, Cardiff suprised me to be honest. Obviously disappointing, 0-0 still would have been as well.

Matty Taylor great signing, always gets his free kicks on target, nice to be getting some decent corners in as well and a winger in claret and blue beating their fullback is a rarity the last few years.

I said to my mrs, Noble is normally knackered by now and has to go off but he's looking alright today, he went off 2 mintues later which was suprising.

Parker people need to get off his back, he cant be a superstar every game.

Nolan really doesnt appear to do much just hope he weighs in with the goals.

Piq always looks unintrested with his body language, still he will win everything in the air which is what Nolan needs, they just didnt seem close enough to do that.

Sam said we played 433, we didnt.

Ilunga was ok, poor kciking on a few occasions, I was quite far away for the goal being at the other end, did he slip or did he just go down easily under a challenge?

Sears Im a big fan of, a few were giving him stick but he's not a right midfielder/winger. He played well I thought last season there (not many give A.Cole a run for his money) but he needs to play up top with a big man so he doesnt have to defend so much. Maybe we should try Stanislas next game?

Obrien enjoyed his run the length of the pitch, has a bit of skill so much preferable to Faubert.

I'm glad Cole got a good reception.

Reid just behind Taylor for man of match, should keep his place ahead of Faye for now definately.

Shame Tottenham was being looted whilst half the met looked after the 'troublesome' Cardiff fans
CBHammer

Post by CBHammer »

I am optimistic for the season ahead. Was satisfied with what I saw apart from the result. Cardiff are a good side, and Malky is a well organised manager, which he showed last year at Watford and again yesterday. Not an easy side to break down, and a side that usually starts well but then falters.

Thought some of our passing and movement was good, the long ball only noticed because of BFS as this was happening from defence a lot last season, only player really ever played out from the back was Da Costa. At least it just highlights the points where we need to improve so think it may have helped in the long run as now Gold and Sullivan may dip into their pockets as they may see the need is greater than first feared.. But I am still very optimistic. In Sam I trust!! :crest:
DDRS

Post by DDRS »

From The Bobby Moore Upper I thought Illunga looked hard done by with that challenge that led to the goal... Yes the Cardiff player 'won' the ball but he completely went through Illunga aswell; on another day we wouyld have had a free kick & a point against a decent Championship outfit, which would have been acceptable for week 1 but there we go...

For me Piq should never have started above Cole. I'm a fan of Carlton, so biased in that sense, but I don't believe opposition defenders see Piq as a threat... When Cole came on he turned with the ball & went on a run twice within minutes... the first nearly led to a goal, the second occasion gained us a free kick - for me Cole has more danger about him... If he is still with us next week I'd like to see him start.

One frustrating thing for me was the 'dilly-dallying' infront of goals, there were 2 or 3 times when a well placed shot was the better option than another pass... I think we could have been more direct; even if we had shot & the keeper had saved or we'd hit the woodwork, it could always lead to another chance... We need to shoot more.

Despite the inicident leading to the goal, I actually thought Illunga was terrific & also Winston Reid. Two players that were shot of confidence last season, that Sam has obviously done well with in pre-season- well done Sam & well done to Reid & Illunga. I thought Tomkins won 90% of the aerial battle, so well done to him, & Joey O'Brien had a solid debut. Matt Taylor was good & I had a great view of his run down the wing, beating players & crossing well... I've missed that & it reminded me of Etherington, I'm all for that style of play & overall I think Sam has made a huge difference already. Sad to lose game 1 at home Yes. Regret putting Sam in charge No. I think we should be full of optimism. He's a people person, has connected with our players in the right way & his footballing know how will shine through come next spring... Nothing worth having comes easy, it will be a long road but the future looks good...

Well done lads, Well done Sam... C O Y I :thup:
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Sam got what he deserved yesterday - for all his arrogant bluff and bluster about how good he is and how good the squad is the facts came home to roost.He is not the messiah and those unfit but talented players he inherited are still unfit and,err, not quite so talented as he'd have us believe.We are laboured and many just ran out of steam .Noble is yet again asked to be the DM he plainly is not.Nolan is asked to be the second striker he has not the pace or goal poaching ability to deliver - when he has played that role for newcastle he has had genuine pace and width off which to feed.Taylor and O'Brien were excellent and so was Reid and Tomkins (standing off Miller aside)Ilunga was never the FB many seem to think he was first season here - he benefitted from Neill's line leadership and his numerous handballs were not spotted too often.Piquionne worked hard and was a shade unlucky not to score with such meagre service.I'm sick of watching Cole,just like the club appear to be,to the point of secretly hoping he'd fall off the exercise bike in the tunnel.Sears is willing but even the Championship is not his level by that showing.I don't really care if Green stays or goes, but would happily wave bye bye if it meant more funds for striker/winger we so desperately need.

TPP ~ If you play the match recording at 4x speed we looked fantastic.