Doncaster Rovers 0 West Ham United 1 (13/08/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

m-h

Re: Doncaster Rovers vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by m-h »

TK-nufc wrote:I'm curious - did Nolan do the chicken dance to celebrate?
Don't know, hope he didn't, that was something to do with his time at barcodes wasn't it ?. Think Barton did his own version.........of the chicken part though. :thdn:
Last edited by m-h on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
billybondsballbag
MILF lover
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by billybondsballbag »

Happy with the win, but several people I spoke to/overheard compared our performance to a pre-season/testimonial in terms of energy and commitment. Also, for the second time in two games, Scott Parker played like he was trying to not get injured, pulling out of challenges (including one that very nearly cost us toward the end). I think that it would be best for all involved if he moved on, because he's clearly not the player that he was during the last two or three seasons. Some positives though, and three points is three points. We're off!

Good to meet up with a few of the guys before the game for drinks, laughs, and a game of killer on the dartboard which the tall good looking fellow in the "Hated by the Daily Mail" t-shirt won. :D Looking forward to the next time already.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

TK-nufc wrote:I'm curious - did Nolan do the chicken dance to celebrate?
Unfortunatly not :( but not 100% sure was to busy going mental.

Pleased with today, feels weird being in a good mood on a Saturday night. Average performance but happy with the away win. Good cross from Collison for the goal and well taken from Nolan who hit the crossbar later on in the match. Good to be off the mark, hopefully we can continue this form onto Tuesday night against Watford which won't be easy.

On a final note, our away support really is fantastic. Singing throughout, much better when sold out..Loved some of the banter with a couple of the Donny fans.
Up the Hammers!
billybondsballbag
MILF lover
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by billybondsballbag »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:On a final note, our away support really is fantastic. Singing throughout, much better when sold out..Loved some of the banter with a couple of the Donny fans.
"Tubby - what's the score? Tubby, Tubby, what's the score?" :D
I Bleed Claret
Location: Up Your Arse! Up Your Arse! Stick the Swipecard Up Your Arse!

Post by I Bleed Claret »

still inept up front, needs to be fixed because we are not getting out of this league with Cole/Piq/Carew as our only strikers. Glad we won though, desperately needed. Onwards and upwards.
TK-nufc

Post by TK-nufc »

miami-hammer wrote:Think Barton did his own version.........of the chicken part though. :thdn:
Went down far too easily - though it would've been 2 red-card offences against him missed in one match if he hadnt.
He couldn't really win there, on the one hand Arsenal should already have been down to 10 at that point (Song should've been sent off for standing on Bartons ankle - officials completely missed it, so it expect to see the FA review it and ban him) and Gervinho did raise a hand to his face, albeit only a very light slap, but a clear redcard offence... on the other hand, that incident wouldn't have happened at all if Barton didn't haul Gervinho up like he did.

Not a great game really, neither side had enough attacking edge really - had 0-0 all over it.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

Just got back.

So not the greatest performance in the world but 3 points is 3 points so happy tonight.
Thought Tomkins looked solid but thought Taylor had a poor game. Illunga worries me.

Couldn't believe they had so many empty seats in the ground but a small pocket of Doncaster fans to the top right of us tried their best though as usual we were in good voice.

COYI
:crest:
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

billybondsballbag wrote:"Tubby - what's the score? Tubby, Tubby, what's the score?"
:lol: And, ''Have you eaten all you your mates'' over and over.
Torquemada

Post by Torquemada »

Couldn't believe they had so many empty seats in the ground but a small pocket of Doncaster fans to the top right of us tried their best though as usual we were in good voice.
Whaaa? I phoned the ground at 9.30 and they said there were no tickets left even for home supporters. Low police numbers were mentioned so I reckon they did that deliberately to avoid any trouble getting out of hand. Well pissed off.
ironsjh

Post by ironsjh »

It's our first away win on a Saturday in 2 years and 9 days. :raver:
ironsjh

Post by ironsjh »

ironsjh wrote:It's our first away win on a Saturday in 1 year and 363 days. :raver:
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

not exaclty a perfect performance, but we're off!! just back. nicely pished. forgotten what its like not to be TOTALLY ****ing DEPRESSED AND GLOOMY ON A SATURDAY NIGHT!!!

midfield is very poor given the talent we've got...either drop parker or play nolan further fwd.

and why he picks piq over cole i dont know

ironnns!
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

Donny were indeed poor but they had 7 missing through injury at Brighton, where first choice strikers Billy Sharp and James Hayter were stretchered off. They also lost a Totts loanee midfielder to injury in the cup in midweek. So they probably had 10 players out. We should have made it a far lost easier than it was today. Giles Barnes looked a shadow of the player he was when he came on the scene.

Plus points;
Nolan busier and more involved than last week, unlucky with lob onto bar and another effort from tight angle in second.Showed he is a true captain at the end going around congratulating entire team.
O'Brien excellent again, bombed forward and really tough and solid in the tackle. He must have played Gaelic Football as a kid,did tire again though.
Tomkins solid.He and Reid protected Greeno well enough.
Noble busy
Cole an improvement on Piquionne when on,just.
Stanislas lively enough late sub.

Minus;
Illunga too sloppy
Parker , plenty of effort bit some poor passes and failed to deliver a killer ball to set Sears up.
Taylor whilst full of running ,much less involved than last week.

For everyone saying we will win plenty of games 1-0 this season and that will be suffice. I would suggest on the evidence of the first two games, and with the players at our disposal, we will lose a fair chunk of potential 1-0 wins with 0-1 reverses.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Bubbles & Squeaks 77 wrote:Couldn't believe they had so many empty seats in the ground but a small pocket of Doncaster fans to the top right of us tried their best though as usual we were in good voice.
11,344 people at Donny today in a 15,000 capacity stadium. Due to the low numbers of police available Donny couldn't sell tickets to anybody without a previous purchasing history. Might have been full otherwise.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

York Ham(mer) wrote:Due to the low numbers of police available Donny couldn't sell tickets to anybody without a previous purchasing history. Might have been full otherwise.
That's fair enough then and explains that one off.
Did think it was strange considering it was their first home game of the season.
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

Finally happy on a Saturday :D

What worries me is that according to the BBC we only had 1 shot on target
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Corney Beal wrote: O'Brien excellent again, bombed forward and really tough and solid in the tackle. He must have played Gaelic Football as a kid,did tire again though.
Agree - if we had an O'Brien equivilent on the left side, our defence would be totally mustard. As I said earlier, Illunga really worries me and is a real weak link IMO.

Think Tomkins and Reid will develop into a strong partnership and Faye is there to keep pressure on their game.

Tomkins MOTM for me today.
Valley Hammer

Post by Valley Hammer »

We made awfully hard work of it but I'm just glad we managed to get the three points, which at times I was worried we would do.

Defence played well, particularly in the first half, but overall there were, once again, far too many passes going astray.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Those who were there, how did Nolan play? Was he pushed further up today or as deep as he was last week?
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

Hey guess what we didnt throw away a half time lead :lol: