tusday's news 23rd august includes west ham updated

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 144 likes

tusday's news 23rd august includes west ham updated

Post by cockney hammer »

the current bun

Kevin Nolan wants Joey Barton to join him at Hammers

KEVIN NOLAN wants his close pal Joey Barton to join West Ham.

The Upton Park skipper opted to quit Newcastle so he could drop into the Championship and believes Barton should also swap Tyneside for East London.

With speculation rife about the long-term future of Scott Parker, West Ham boss Sam Allardyce is hoping to line up a big-name replacement.

And Nolan feels Barton could be just the man.

He said: "I came here so can't see why Joey wouldn't. It's a massive club. He's probably looking for an escape.

"He knows Sam and I are here and what we're about. I'll look after him, he'll look after me."

Max Gradel is set to snub West Ham, who want to sign the Leeds striker. Allardyce has had a £2million bid rejected - but Gradel said: "If I keep playing well, I'll end up somewhere better."

the current bun

Lucas Neill signs for United Arab Emirates champions Al Jazira

FORMER Blackburn and West Ham defender Lucas Neill has joined reigning UAE champions Al Jazira.

The full-back, 33, played for Turkish side Galatasaray last season, having previously also represented Everton and Millwall in England.

The Australia captain said: "As you've probably read, I've joined Al Jazira in the UAE for the next season.

"I'm really excited for the challenge and looking forward to setting up my new home in Abu Dhabi!

"It's exciting to be moving to one of the strongest teams in Asia.

"Al Jazira won the league comfortably last season, and now I get to help them defend the title and hopefully make an impression in the Asian Champions League.

"This decision is the first part of my three-year plan which will hopefully take me to at least the next World Cup."

the mirror

EXCLUSIVE: Nolan wants Barton reunion at West Ham

Kevin Nolan has urged his friend Joey Barton to join him at West Ham.

Hammers boss Sam Allardyce is poised to move for the Newcastle midfielder, should the Upton Park side get an offer that meets their £8million valuation of midfield talisman Scott Parker.

Nolan - who Newcastle sold to West Ham in June - insists Barton would be more appreciated in east London than he currently is at St James' Park.

Barton has a year left on his contract, and has been told he can leave the club on a free transfer.

"Would Joey Barton come here? Well, I came here, so I can't see why Joey Barton would not come," said Nolan.

"It is a massive club.

"The way he has been treated over the last couple of years, he is probably looking for an escape.

"He knows I'm here, he knows Sam [who signed Barton for Newcastle in June 2007] is here and what we are about - I can look after him and he can look after me!"

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew admitted last month that skipper Nolan was sold because the club did not believe the 29-year-old had another five years in him at the top level.

Barton and Nolan formed the engine room of the Newcastle side that gained promotion from the Championship two seasons ago.

Nolan added: "It would definitely be good for me. Joey is a great player to play alongside and he is a winner.

"He tells it straight, as people know, but deep down he is a lovely lad and I get on really well with him.

"He would be a great acquisition to the squad if we got him here.

"I'm sure the West Ham fans would love him and the players would come to love him. They [will have] read a lot of things about him - some of them are true, but others are blown out of proportion.

"With Joey, you have got someone [who] when he puts on the shirt, he genuinely wants to win, and he wants to do the best for the club and the players."

the mirror

Burnley are set to swoop for West Ham’s Junior Stanislas as boss Eddie Howe looks to boost his injury-hit attacking options.

Howe, who has seen Danny Ings and Martin Paterson crocked, is keen to wrap a deal for the 21-year-old forward this week.

the mirror

Olympic Stadium decision investigation completed

A report on whether the Olympic Park Legacy Company's procedures surrounding the stadium bid could have been compromised has been completed.

The OPLC, who chose West Ham as the first choice to move into the Olympic Stadium after the 2012 Games, appointed auditors Moore Stephens to investigate their own internal stadium procedures six weeks ago.

It will be discussed at an OPLC board meeting later today.

An OPLC spokesman could not comment on the results of the investigation.

It was triggered when Dionne Knight, the OPLC's corporate services director, was suspended after having worked as a consultant for West Ham during the bid to move into the £486million stadium.

She was immediately suspended on full pay while any possible conflict of interest was investigated.

She had declared a personal relationship with Ian Tompkins, a West Ham director, when she started at the OPLC. She only told the legacy company of her work at the club after a Sunday newspaper claimed she was on West Ham's payroll.

Tottenham have been looking at a legal challenge over the stadium decision.

Moore Stephens have not been asked to consider the bidding process, which is a matter for a judicial review if one is granted this week.

They are also not involved in upholding any decision to recommend West Ham and Newham Council as preferred bidder - this is a matter for the OPLC board who are meeting this afternoon.

West Ham, in a joint bid with Newham Council that was picked ahead of London rivals Tottenham, plan to retain the running track after moving into the stadium.

They intend to convert the 80,000-seater venue into a 60,000-capacity arena for football, athletics, concerts and community use.

The club plan to move from their current Upton Park home in 2014-15.

Newham Council have arranged £40million to convert the stadium after 2012.

the star

WEST HAM HAND TRIAL TO BILAL

WEST HAM have handed a trial to Lens ­midfielder Hamdi Bilal, 20.

the star

BURNLEY WANT WEST HAM JUNIOR STANISLAS

BURNLEY want West Ham’s Junior Stanislas, 21, to boost their attacking options after new signing Danny Ings, 19, was ruled out for five months – with Martin Paterson, 24, already on the sidelines.

the mail

Great Scott! West Ham reject City's player-swap offer for Parker

Manchester City have made an enquiry for West Ham midfielder Scott Parker but the proposal has been rejected because it is said to have involved players including Wayne Bridge and Shaun Wright-Phillips rather than cash.

shame would have been a great deal for us...

the mail

Max-ed out! Gradel hints at exit as clubs line up to sign Leeds striker

Leeds' wantaway forward Max Gradel has confirmed Fulham are rivalling West Ham and Leicester for his signature.

Gradel, 23, said: 'Are Fulham interested in buying me? Yes. I know West Ham are interested in buying me, too.'

West Ham are close to signing Nice winger Eric Mouloungui, 27, for £2.5m and have taken Lens striker Hamdi Billal on trial for 10 days. The 19-year-old said: 'Hopefully I can earn a contract.'

the express

JOHN CAREW: WE NEED SCOTT PARKER AND CARLTON COLE

JOHN CAREW has told West Ham they need to keep Scott Parker and Carlton Cole if they want to return to the Premier League.

Both players have been the subject of moves back to the top flight, with QPR and Fulham both interested.

bbc sport

MK Dons striker Sam Baldock in dark on West Ham link

Sam Baldock Baldock almost joined Peterborough for £1.2m in the summer

MK Dons striker Sam Baldock has said reports linking him with a move to Championship side West Ham are nothing more than speculation.

Hammers boss Sam Allardyce watched the 22-year-old net a hat-trick in Saturday's 6-2 win over Chesterfield.

But the Dons youth product has insisted he is focused on life at Stadium MK.

"It's all rumours as far as I'm concerned. Like I showed on Saturday, I'm not going to let anything affect me," he told BBC Three Counties Radio.

"People are always going to talk about any player but my focus was on scoring goals for this club and getting the victory.
BALDOCK FACTFILE

Born 15 March, 1989
Became first player to graduate from MK Dons youth team into the senior side
Made his league debut in February, 2007 in 1-1 draw with Mansfield
Has scored 33 goals in 102 league games, 34 of his appearances coming as a sub

"I always give 100% wherever I play my football and I've got a fond place in my heart for this club and I'm looking forward to scoring more.

"I think West Ham are a fantastic club and [Allardyce] is a phenomenal manager but it's not anything I've thought about.

"It's not something that's been mentioned to me."

Baldock came close to joining Championship new boys Peterborough for £1.2m in the summer, until the deal fell through in acrimonious circumstances.

He has since gone on to score five goals in as many games this season, lending weight to Robinson's claim earlier in August that he would be "batting off big football clubs because of his ability".

babe of the day

http://www.nuts.co.uk/images/gallery/20 ... 143__0.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

one for the ladies

http://cdn1.hunkdujour.com/530/marcellas_reynolds_0.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by cockney hammer on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Re: tusday's news 23rd august includes west ham

Post by JerseyHammer »

Cheers mate. Be interesting to see if that Barton situation develops.

P.s. BOTD = absolutely slammin´
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Cheers CH :thup:
As much as I don't like him as a person Barton on a free if Scott goes will be a cracking signing, don't know much about Mouloungui or Bilal but if we get them hopefully they will both be good additions.
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Cheers CH.
Hands off Stanislas, unless you want him on loan.
PrinceH

Post by PrinceH »

Sam selling all youngsters?? ManU played theirs! :?
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Coops »

I know a straight swap for Parker and SWP/Bridge looks like a good deal but I don't think I could ever forgive SWP for what he did to Ashton.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 343 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Coops wrote:I know a straight swap for Parker and SWP/Bridge looks like a good deal but I don't think I could ever forgive SWP for what he did to Ashton.
It may well be a good deal in respect of playing staff, but I'm told./read we need to get Scottys wages off the bill??? those two will not come for £25k a week!!
ageing hammer
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Coops wrote:I know a straight swap for Parker and SWP/Bridge looks like a good deal but I don't think I could ever forgive SWP for what he did to Ashton.

I'm still waiting for him to pass his medical :lol:
HammerForever

Post by HammerForever »

thanks CH. I'd be happy to swap Parker for SWP and Bridge. Doesnt seem like a bad move to me
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

cheers CH
BondsOfOslo

Post by BondsOfOslo »

Thanks CH
Yes please bring Barton.
Remember Bowyer had a bad reputation outside the field before coming to WHU, but I reckon he behaved like a choirboy after he came to London.
Big Sam will guide him!
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

PrinceH wrote:Sam selling all youngsters?? ManU played theirs! :?
If you count three £10m+ signings and a couple with at least three years Prem experience each, then yes they played their youngsters. Stanislas is a long way from that class.....
Side of Ham

Post by Side of Ham »

Prince H, In the past Man U and the likes of Chelski and Spurs were clambering to buy them, now Burnley are, doesn't that kind of tell you something? You've also left out Collison, Sears and Tompkins & Noble who are still here and in his squad, but hey-ho you carry on with your bias. :D
DICAN10

Post by DICAN10 »

i'd plough that BOTD like a cornfield

cheers CH :thup:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 848 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH as always

I'm warming to the idea of Joey Barton joining but still not sure if it will happen.
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

i don,t usualy comment on potential new signings but i would hate to see swp in a west ham shirt.he thinks he is bigger than us plus we dont need a billy big boots in our dressing room, we have in my opinion a good spirit in the club at the moment with players who want to play for west ham, swp no way i say steer clear. thanks CH as always for my first read of the day :crest:
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1273 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

PrinceH wrote:Sam selling all youngsters?? ManU played theirs! :?
Difference being Man Utd's youngsters are class, ours are realistically, not that good. I've have Barton over Stanislas any day over the next 2/3 seasons.
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

cheers cockers! :thup:
scousehammerette

Post by scousehammerette »

Cheers CH luv. :thup:
Xander
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Xander »

Cheers CH :thup:

I agree Joey B is a great player but have you all forgotten his comments a few weeks back "I'm better than Parker, no way would I drop the Championship blah blah" ?