Captain Kevin Nolan

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Captain Kevin Nolan

Postby Tyneside on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:51 am

Not trying to sound condescending here lads, but I remember getting laughed at when suggesting the guy wouldn't be in our first team this year had he stayed- and pointing out numerous weaknesses to his game. His fitness for a pro footballer is disgusting, quite frankly.
Tyneside

Postby I8CHAVS on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:56 am

Tyneside wrote:Not trying to sound condescending here lads, but I remember getting laughed at when suggesting the guy wouldn't be in our first team this year had he stayed- and pointing out numerous weaknesses to his game. His fitness for a pro footballer is disgusting, quite frankly.

8-)

Nicely times i told you so post
I8CHAVS
He just loves the cock, Bob

Postby Tarbs on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:00 pm

Tyneside wrote:Not trying to sound condescending here lads, but I remember getting laughed at when suggesting the guy wouldn't be in our first team this year had he stayed- and pointing out numerous weaknesses to his game. His fitness for a pro footballer is disgusting, quite frankly.

How dare you come on here with your thought out, rational posts and offer opinions based on knowledge and experience.

We have no room for your kind on here.
Tarbs

Postby Hambrosia Stu on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:33 pm

stubbsy07 wrote:Nolan deserves criticism in my opinion. Has been poor since he joined, so people will rightly question his performances.

Not saying he won't come good, as we sort the team out around him - but at the moment his performances should be questioned.

I agree. Whilst bearing in mind it is only the start of the season, and he is playing in a new side
Maybe he's one of those players who needs a good few games to get up to speed?

I have been very impressed with his captaining/leadership skills.
In terms of what he's actually done playing wise, I'm starting to think Jack Collison would offer a lot more than Nolan is in that position.
Hambrosia Stu

Postby miles on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:13 pm

Hambrosia Stu wrote:In terms of what he's actually done playing wise, I'm starting to think Jack Collison would offer a lot more than Nolan is in that position.

Why? Collison caught the eye when he broke into the team playing on the left of Zola's diamond. He never started a game in central midfield till the fag end of last season and since then he has been extremely disappointing. He will be a good player for West Ham in time, but he needs to be on the bench based on performances at the moment.
miles
This site...

Postby Hambrosia Stu on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:32 pm

Hambrosia Stu wrote:In terms of what he's actually done playing wise, I'm starting to think Jack Collison would offer a lot more than Nolan is in that position.

miles wrote:Why? Collison caught the eye when he broke into the team playing on the left of Zola's diamond. He never started a game in central midfield till the fag end of last season and since then he has been extremely disappointing. He will be a good player for West Ham in time, but he needs to be on the bench based on performances at the moment.

I acknowledge what you are saying. It's just my opinion really, based on what I've seen of Jack so far, and what sort of player I think he'll become.

Although Jack did well on the left of the diamond, I never felt that was his ideal position. Even moreso, having seen him played as a wide midfielder, I know that isn't his best position (and a bit harsh to judge his form too severely as he hasn't shone in a position that does suit him)
I have felt for quite some time that the best role for Jack would be something similar to the role Steven Gerrard plays. That is I think he is a very good attacking CM, and would do well in playing that role, the role Nolan has played for us so far.

You're right, in that he is still young, still breaking into the team, and should be introduced at a sensible pace.
But I have become a bit concerned at Nolan's lack of athleticism, his ability to get up and support the striker, as well as slotting into the midfield when needed, and feel that Jack has the energy to get up and back far more effectively.

I'm hoping with Nolan it's a case of getting full match fitness, but I also feel that Collison is the player in our squad who should be challenging Nolan for that role in the side.
Hambrosia Stu

Postby daniel on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:38 pm

If the Baldock signing does go through, where does that leave Nolan? We all know his fitness is a major worry, and a midfield duo of him and Noble will get done for pace time after time. The only place for him is in the hole, which makes me think Sam will be looking to play Baldock on the right wing, cutting inside.
daniel

Postby miles on Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Hambrosia Stu wrote:But I have become a bit concerned at Nolan's lack of athleticism, his ability to get up and support the striker, as well as slotting into the midfield when needed, and feel that Jack has the energy to get up and back far more effectively.

I'm hoping with Nolan it's a case of getting full match fitness, but I also feel that Collison is the player in our squad who should be challenging Nolan for that role in the side.

I think we're going to have to accept that Nolan is first name on the teamsheet and that Fatty is building the team, if not the club, around him. In time I expect to see two mobile midfield runners behind him to make up for his deficiencies, whilst he is given free reign to hang about the goal area. Where this leaves Noble and Collison in the long run, I have no idea...
miles
This site...

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:24 pm

Up the proverbial creek without so much as a paddle I reckon.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby Gerblatz on Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Still too early for me to make a reasonable opinion about Nolan - I haven't been particularly impressed with what I've seen up to yet, but I suspect he's yet to settle in an unsettled squad generally. Lot of changes with a few more to come no doubt. Another 6 games or so and we should see what his true influence is going to be. Agree he looks a weighty; seems to be affecting his mobility.
Gerblatz

Postby Hockley Hammer on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:37 pm

The problem we have is that our central midfield has players all of the same pace, Taylor is probably the quickest, but we are slow in the centre. Noble, Collison and Parker are too similar and are often too static, there is no variety. We need to get the ball out wide quicker, we did it at Watford, but we have struggled at home.

I'm not too impressed with Nolan's fitness so far, but if it still the same in ten games time it will be more cause for concern than now.

I think he is pretty comfortable on the ball and tries to keep it simple. I think the side is still in transition at the moment with the Parker situation, and none of the three forwards have really got into a goove yet, so a bit too early to make a proper judgement.

I definitely expect more on the playing side, but am happy with his role as captain so far.
Hockley Hammer

Postby MacGill on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:05 pm

He is a footballer with a fairly shoddy technique and capable of only playing in 1 position in 1 formation.

As a captain he appears to be well respected and has a previous record of success.

However, young footballers respond best to performances on the field, so he better shape up or face the boos.
MacGill

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:23 pm

**** me, that was mildly positive. :lol:
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby MADMOORE on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:30 pm

When he was "babysitting Carroll" didnt he end up going out on the pi** with him and getting up to all sorts ?
Maybe he is not a model pro of teh pitch which does and will catch you up physically.

He will be judged fairly over a season, players can carry injuries and some take longer to start a season than others fitness wise.
I can see why people are worried, a 5 year big contract at his age and he is looking slow and sluggish in the championship it does not bode well for prem football.

Pace is what we need , Wright Phillips is available for 2-3m apparently, He would DESTROY championship teams i would be using everything to get him if i was fat sam. Ian played for West Ham, its in London and West Ham can pay decent wages.
Pace will hurt teams in this division especially from the wings, with nolan arriving late into the box.
MADMOORE

Postby westhamburgerking on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:54 pm

Does anyone know who's our vice-captain?
westhamburgerking

Postby Coker on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Noble?
Coker

Postby Benny the Ball on Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:21 pm

In our situation, trying to get back to the premier league, Nolan is possibly our most important player. Not for his playing skills but his role as captain and general agent provocateur with the opposition.

I dont have the stats but I suspect we have scored nearly as many goals from set pieces this season as we have in the last few years. He may not be directly involved in the goals themselves, but his role in generally being a pain in the arse and putting the GK off is key to the chaos and number of set piece chances we are creating and scoring from.

I agree he does not stand out at the moment for his general football ability.

BtB
Benny the Ball

Postby BARKING IRON on Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:31 pm

Give him time to settle, we haven't seen the best of him yet by a country mile but I haven't been disappointed with his performances they have been average. I remember a certain Mr Parker getting slated for his first season with us and we all know what happened there.
BARKING IRON

Postby Dyer's Leg on Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:34 pm

BARKING IRON wrote: I remember a certain Mr Parker getting slated for his first season with us and we all know what happened there.

Yes, he got in to the England team and ****ed off to Tottenham.
Dyer's Leg
Match thread guru

Postby RyanWHUFC on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:12 pm

I still think he needs a little time to get fit and understand the role and the players around him a bit more, and then hopefully he will come alive and start banging them in. Can't fault his leadership at the moment though, I loved the way he was still getting in the refs face at the Forest game after the incident which had just occured, just hope he don't go to far and start getting silly cards.
RyanWHUFC

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion