West Ham Utd 4 Portsmouth 3 (10/09/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Portsmouth: match thread

Post by Hayden »

the pink palermo wrote:I'm not alone in pointing out he looks a little larger than he ought
My friends from the Antipodes who live here call it the Heathrow injection... Perhaps he's been sampling the London cuisine...

Am I right in thinking Kevin Nolan was out injured for a while just before he came here?
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

claret parrot wrote: I was also relieved and delighted with the result yesterday and I don't want to appear negative but with Greeno making regular excellent stops, Tomkins immense at the back alongside a very impressive Winston Reid, McCartney looking solid and no nonsense. and O'Brien clearly no mug either, it leaves me wondering just HTF we seem to be shipping so many goals? :think:
We've only let in 7 this season - I think we're doing ok. As mentioned, the first goal yesterday was a freak deflected og off Carlton's leg (I think), and the third was a penalty at the death after a midfielder bungled a tackle - I don't think you can blame the defensive system for either of those. The second was a genuine error but that's football - people are going to score, and let in, goals. If we let in 3 like that in a game then we can perhaps start worrying
Last edited by Aceface on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

BillUp wrote:
I said about a week ago, we will see where Brighton are after 46 games. I have changed my opinion somewhat. They are getting the clean sheets home and away. Southampton look a very good side. There are some very good sides in the top 6. We can score goals like fun, but we concede for fun as well. It is very early days though :)

I do believe Sam will get the defence shored up, its just how long this will take, and will it be too late for an automatic promotion spot? I think Faye is going to be a very important player when he's fit. October is also a massive month for us. I'm really excited about October. We can gauge how good we really are?
For me the most important thing to come out of this weekend is a win, this was more important then the performance as the win effectively got our season up and running at home. 3 points is 3 points, and we can now build from this!

Yes Nolan needs to improve, our defence can let in less goals and BFS can have a better look at our formation at home, but in the whole a positive start so far and based on what we've seen, we have the best squad in this division, and more importantly we have good players to step in and cover each position, and for me this is the key. It's a going to be a long season and with 46 games and injuries along the way it will really become a battle of attrition and in this department we are more than well equipped.
So although Brighton and southampton are at the top now imho there is no way they can keep this up over 46 games and I think come Christmans we will start to see those teams fall into mid table!
ottsands
Doesn't Mind Sharing
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by ottsands »

ottsands wrote:Just tuned into Radio London and they're commentating on the Spurs match . . . horrible to hear the phrase "Lovely tackle by Parker for Spurs there, doing what he does best"
Paolo Futre wrote:No mate. Go to the main page, you then select the match you wish to hear.

I was doing it off a Radio App on my phone . . . I'll have to look into that. :clap:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Yea Why Not wrote:...........................Green...............................
Joey............Reid........Tomkins.....McCartney
...........................Noble...............................
Faubert......Lansbury.....Nolan...........Taylor
...........................Cole................................

Looks nice and balanced and theres definitely a goal or 4 in there!
8-)
RM6

Post by RM6 »

the pink palermo wrote:
Such are the margins between success and failure .We're doing well at the moment , but we conceded three goals at home yesterday .

So much for teams visiting the Boleyn and parking the bus.........
Brighton, Middleborough, Hull, Leicester and us, 5 of the top 10 have taken more points on the road than at home.

Only Southampton have a 100% home record while us, Brighton and Middlesborough have a 100% away record.

In this league every point is played for.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

TheAlmightyAmmer wrote:That Cotteril was actually moaning about the sending off, I don't understand how you can debate that decision :shock:
beckton wrote: Just seen it again on bbc Iplayer, the second one should have been a straight red.
I was in Southsea Saturday night and most of Sunday and had a chat with several Pompey fans including some who were at the game. TBF most of them had no complaint and one of them thought both yellows could have been a straight red on another day. IIRC Cotterill thought the first wasn't a yellow card, but virtually to a man the pompey fans said he moans about the ref every game.
Spongthrush
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Spongthrush »

While I remember.....hanging around the car park afterwards with my lad:

We noticed that Faye, after chatting and signing, got into a car driven by 'his brother' which had an out of date tax disc (Aug-11).

Big Sam was quite chatty, the kids were asking when Nolan was going to come out and he said 'he's still looking at himself in the mirror so it could be hours'.

The guys around us said that Demba Ba came out straight after the match wearing a WHU training kit!!?