Millwall 0 West Ham Utd 0 (17/09/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Re: Millwall v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Phil S »

smuts wrote:Having seen the Bentley miss it wasn't as bad as made out......the guy dived in and he had to snatch at it.
that's the way I heard it :thup:
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

the pink palermo wrote: To that end, I'm not sure we can continue with the bizarre experiment of playing with 10 men most weeks .
Are you suggesting it's time to drop Captain Kev?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The Moth wrote:Are you suggesting it's time to drop Captain Kev?
Strange, how, without me mentioning any names , you have honed in on him .

I suspect we are not alone......... :lol:
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Highlights for anyone who hasn't seen them
26 minutes in
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 7_09_2011/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

The Moth wrote:
Are you suggesting it's time to drop Captain Kev?
Sam gave Jevin the "halo" of being our saint far too quickly? hope he can quickly come through this period but he is not a shining light to the rest of the team Sam!
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Am I alone in thinking that Nolan is worth having in for his leadership qualities? I mean Lucas Neil shared that trait and he got dicked on the wing regularly but when we lost him to Everton we sort of lacked any leadership from our captain?
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

I think the fact that people who were actually at the game are saying Faubert played well perfectly illustrates the problems of commenting on performances unless you actually SAW it either in person or on tv. With radio or live text it's second hand information you're getting - everything you hear or read will be filtered through that person's opinions and prejudices.

There were a lot of posts about how **** Faubert is immediately after the game, presumably based on the commentary - and to be fair, the radio commentary was laying into him at times - but I'll take the opinions of people who actually watch him every week over some isotonic drink-obsessed plonkers anyday.

Still think the main downside to life in the championship is the lack of television coverage
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

cockney farmer wrote:PM, I would suspect that many would not have docking issues anymore , the rivalry from those days perpetuated throughout the 70s & 80s annd the very fact that games between the two have been relatively rare recently has given them a bit more spice (oh and the ridiculous over hype by the media) .

As some have already observed we have more in common with their values then some would care to admit.

We now need to get on with business as usual starting with PBoro.
Fair points, all, especially the last one.

Its interesting, because I went to the recent Carling Cup games, didn't go to the last pair of games when we were last in the fizz, but went to the still earlier games, including that one in the late 80's....which, if memory serves was around the time of Hillsboro?

I just felt after the last one at our ground, when large parts of the home areas were empty and quite a number of people I know personally just couldn't be bothered, that the rivalry had dimmed a bit. Which is perhaps explained by the comments about a lack of real atmosphere yesterday? I'm all for the old rivalries still being 'relevant'. To paraphrase Major, I don't like sport, or much like football; I just love West Ham. But, these little herberts love the oxygen of publicity of quite a few on here mocking outrage about what is written on the web's equivalent of caveman's scribblings....
...I can't much see the point.

Am I getting too old for this caper? :wink:
Last edited by prophet:marginal on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Happyhammer52 wrote:Highlights for anyone who hasn't seen them
26 minutes in
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 7_09_2011/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Miss wasn't as bad as it was made out to be. Lansbury's shot was very close though.
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

jaybs wrote:Sam gave Jevin the "halo" of being our saint far too quickly?
Compared him to Billy Bonds of all people too! A man absolutely dedicated to physical fitness and conditioning and whose influence in a match could never be questioned.

No one should be given a free ride in our team, especially when we have good replacements ready and willing.
beckton

Post by beckton »

Aceface wrote:I think the fact that people who were actually at the game are saying Faubert played well perfectly illustrates the problems of commenting on performances unless you actually SAW it either in person or on tv. With radio or live text it's second hand information you're getting - everything you hear or read will be filtered through that person's opinions and prejudices.
Faubert had a good game yesterday and was my motm.

I remember listening to a radio commentary earlier in the season and the commentators seem to have it in for Faubert.

Radio commentary seems to have gone the way of newspaper match reports and don't actually tell you what's happened but have a slant and an agenda.

Back to the match, Faye was caught out a few times with his lack of pace but was a bit of a monster.

Overall a disappointing display but I would have taken a point beforehand.

Oh and the ref was awful, a yellow only for an elbow by the Millwall player and the way Cole was constantly wrestled, sometimes to the ground was a joke.
Mad Professor
Has liked: 272 likes

Post by Mad Professor »

Happyhammer52 wrote:Highlights for anyone who hasn't seen them
26 minutes in
More highlights of the General Strike than the actual game!
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

Faubert was decent, crossing abit wayward but hes the only player who offers any real pace
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

Aceface wrote:I think the fact that people who were actually at the game are saying Faubert played well perfectly illustrates the problems of commenting on performances unless you actually SAW it either in person or on tv. With radio or live text it's second hand information you're getting - everything you hear or read will be filtered through that person's opinions and prejudices.

There were a lot of posts about how sh*t Faubert is immediately after the game, presumably based on the commentary - and to be fair, the radio commentary was laying into him at times - but I'll take the opinions of people who actually watch him every week over some isotonic drink-obsessed plonkers anyday.

Still think the main downside to life in the championship is the lack of television coverage
I was at the game yesterday, and will say that Faubert seemed everywhere, BUT his effort could not make up for his dreadful distribution. It does not matter how much running with the ball if you are going to pass to the opposition or overhit a cross.

From where I was sitting, many of our second half moves broke down due to poor passing, and Faubert was the most guilty.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Typical early kick off....lack of atmosphere and a cack game.

You have to laugh at Wall going on about "They will **** themselves every throw on"

They really are up their own @rses ain't they...

Just who is scared of a 14 year old throwing a ball at them ???

To think they are slagging us lot off for no atmosphere....

You have to laugh :lol:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Must also congratulate the Ref for the worst decision i have seen this season...how he could only book their no2 for that elbow was a disgrace.

He saw it...and bottled it. :evil:
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

As I have mentioned a couple of times, I could only get tickets in Millwall's West Stand. So I would thought I would give my slightly different view of the day.

I am no hard man or keyboard tough guy, so I not here bragging how I sat with the Wall. Reading Hof you would almost imagine groups quizzing people as to the starting lineup for some Simod cup game v Grimsby, but this was far from the reality, there were probably more Millwall daytrippers looking lost in the surroundings than us, especially with Zampa Rd closed off.

In the ground, it was your typical midday kickoff feel with many people still recovering from hangovers. Sadly nobody had tails, horns or knuckles on the floor. Yeah a cliche, but they are pretty much like us. Well far more than Spurs or Gooners.

The atmosphere never really got going. Despite groups at the front trying to get the crowd going, I would say that there was never more than a quarter of the crowd joining in. At this stage I have to say how funny it is that that laugh at Bubbles when the lyrics for Let em come sound like they were written by a twelve year old that was told to include every cockney cliche he could think of.

In their defence, I did not hear any racist chanting. The main subjects of their abuse were Nolan, Bentley and their own goalie Forde.

I thought of a recent thread on here about smoking in the bogs at the Boleyn. Over the Den, they just smoke anywhere and everywhere. What did make me chuckle and made me think of Delboy was this bloke who had smuggled in bottles of Lager and was selling them in the concourse at half time.

It was not too hard to fit in, I just stood fairly motionless, and with my thumbs in the belt loops on my jeans so my hands would not shoot in the air if we scored....but there was no real test for me.

Thankfully the one benefit of being in the home end was that I was back home in Essex just over an hour after the game.

Interesting day, but I won't bother doing it again if we arevin the same division next year.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Romford wrote: He saw it...and bottled it.
:thup:

Clear use of the elbow .If he has seen enough for a yellow, he must by definition have seen enough for a red .
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Romford wrote:Must also congratulate the Ref for the worst decision i have seen this season...how he could only book their no2 for that elbow was a disgrace.

He saw it...and bottled it. :evil:
Absolutely. He either didn't see it, or he saw it and it has to be a red. The ref in general was shocking though.
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

the pink palermo wrote:Are you suggesting it's time to drop Captain Kev?

Strange, how, without me mentioning any names , you have honed in on him .

I suspect we are not alone......... :lol:
Allardyce is facing a tricky dilemma. As a man who prides himself on knowing more about sports science and statistical analysis than anyone else in the game, he'll have every scrap of data about Nolan at his fingertips. And if he's really playing as ineffectively as many KUMBers believe, it'll all be there in black and white (and these days, the stats are so in-depth that they really do give a very accurate judgment of a player's form and fitness).

On the other hand, Allardyce is also the man who persuaded the two Davids to splash £4m-plus, and £50K-a-week on Nolan as the annointed Parker replacement ... so he doesn't want to look like he sold them a pup.

The answer lies entirely in the results. Nolan is a sideshow next to the need to get promotion. If we go up, the odd few mill here or there will be unimportant. If we DON'T go up, Allardyce is in the sh*t no matter how well Nolan plays. So the overriding priority is to win points. therefore, the second Allardyce seriously thinks that Nolan is costing him points, he's out. And screw that salary and the captain's armband ...