friday's news 23rd sept includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

friday's news 23rd sept includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

Robert Green talks on hold at West Ham

WEST HAM are playing a waiting game with Robert Green over a new deal.

All contract talks at Upton Park have been put on hold until January as the Hammers adjust to life in the cash-strapped Championship.

England keeper Green is out of contract this summer and free to speak to foreign clubs from January 1.

Striker Carlton Cole is also believed to be in line to renegotiate his terms but has also been told to wait until the New Year.

West Ham are fifth in the table and if current form continues and instant promotion back to the Premier League looks likely, owners David Sullivan and David Gold will be ready to reward the players who are getting the team back on their feet.

Green, 31, is enjoying a new lease of life under new boss Sam Allardyce and is happy at West Ham.

But despite playing for the team which finished bottom of the Premier League last season, he is still much sought-after and was heavily linked with a move to Aston Villa in the summer.

Allardyce is desperate to keep Green but much depends on the outlook for West Ham's finances.

Owners Sullivan and Gold have been forced to shell out around £40million extra just to keep the wages and bills paid this season following the drop.

come on greeno sign on the dotted line :thup:

guardian

James Tomkins could feature in West Ham's game with Peterborough United

James Tomkins could be fit enough to play for West Ham against Peterborough United this weekend.

The centre-back went off with groin injury against Millwall last weekend and was considered a doubt to face the Posh. But he has improved quickly and may be able to start for the Irons.

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce told the club website: "James Tomkins trained this morning and we will have to see what the reaction is between now and Friday. He could well be available for Saturday.

"We have got a three-game week coming up so we first thought we possibly might have missed him for certainly two games and maybe he would be fit for the Crystal Palace game away [on Saturday week]. It looks like he will be available for selection for all three."

official site

Big Sam on Peterborough

The manager revealed some positive team news as he looked forward to Saturday's home match

Sam Allardyce has said James Tomkins could be in with a chance of playing against Peterborough United after returning to training following a groin problem.

The news that the SBOBET player of the month was back in action at Chadwell Heath after limping off in last Saturday's goalless draw at Millwall was the most striking of the manager's pre-match news conference at the Boleyn Ground on Thursday. Big Sam also talked about on his opposite number this Saturday, with Darren Ferguson's famous father such a close friend of the Hammers manager, as he looked forward to trying for a seventh game unbeaten.

What is the team news?

SA: James Tomkins trained this morning and we will have to see what the reaction is between now and Friday. He could well be available for Saturday. We have got a three-game week coming up so we first thought we possibly might have missed him for certainly two games and maybe he would be fit for the Crystal Palace game away [on Saturday week].

It looks like he will be available for selection for all three. We will assess the situation on Friday. We are just waiting for Guy Demel who got a bit of a hamstring in a behind closed doors game so is behind schedule. Papa [Bouba Diop] is improving and will come into the squad sometime next week. He has got his international clearance so we look forward to bringing him into the squad.

David Bentley impressed off the bench at Millwall. Does he give you a major selection dilemma for Saturday?

SA: Yes. He gives me a nice selection scenario. You are constantly looking at the squad and the players available and you are looking at the opposition and then you look forward on what is coming next and what's in front of you. I know generally we say we take it game by game but personally as a manager, I would say you think more like a chess player. You think what's ahead of you as well as that particular match. Next week is a three game week and it will be a squad scenario rather than the same eleven for every single game. Using the squad is imperative in terms of the long haul you've got in trying to achieve what you want to achieve.

Do you feel you can get the best out of David?

SA: He has a point to prove to himself before he proves it to anyone else. If he can recapture the person and the player he was before at Blackburn Rovers, we all know that is huge quality at the Premier League level on a sustained basis. With his ability and at his age, if we can reinvigorate his confidence, you will get the player back.

We live or die as footballers on our mental strength, not so much on our ability. That is the key issue. When that takes a knock continuously, irrespectively of how tough you think you are, you lose your confidence because of it. You know you won't be involved and basically you lose your way. You almost forget about how good it used to be because you never get an opportunity to express yourself and show that ability.

He is a player that needs to play games?

SA: He played so many games for Blackburn when he arrived and was a massive part of Mark Hughes' success story at Blackburn Rovers. Mark and the team he built managed to deliver a real good success story . David was a part of that and got in the England side. He was mooted as the new replacement for David Beckham because he is a similar type of player and then unfortunately the backward step has happened [at Tottenham] and that happens in everybody's career at some stage or another.

Are you tempted by 4-4-2 this weekend with Sam Baldock pushing for a place?

SA: I don't know yet. Somewhere along the line we will get to a 4-4-2, no doubt about that but at the moment we are ticking along very nicely and undefeated with a 4-3-3. It depends how Peterborough play. They are a very attacking-minded and I think actually pack the midfield more with a diamond than a 4-4-2 so I would have to be cautious if I went with that system. We will select the team and what system on Friday.

You are up against a Ferguson in the dug-out. Will it be strange to come up against Sir Alex's son?

SA: I did come up against Darren in the League Cup with Blackburn Rovers. We won that game comfortably because they had a man sent off ... he has experienced a change of football club [with his spell at Preston North End] and I think he will be a much better manager now than when I first met him because he has had the down side for the first time.

He has had the criticism thrown his way about the lack of results - whether it was his fault or not- we all suffer it at some stage and he ended up unfortunately losing his job. He immediately jumped back into the firing line and took Peterborough to promotion via the play-offs with a record number of goals scored. I think they scored 100 goals, so he has good management qualities like his dad and has learned from the bitter experience he had at Preston.

Do you see similarities?

SA: Yes, they are father and son. There are bound to be similarities. It is a very difficult scenario to live with such a famous father in the same trade and I am sure it drives him on to aspire to be as good as he can and as good as his dad would be. I certainly strive to be as good as Sir Alex Ferguson. You should set your standards high and try your best to achieve it. You might not get there but you have to keep driving yourself forward and doing the best you can and keep improving.

It is a big week for the club. You could be top going into the international break?

SA: That is the goal of course. Two home games is going to be a measure of whether we can continue to move forward with home victories. Having beaten Portsmouth in the end and got rid of that little nervous twitch at home, we can move forward in terms of getting positive results against Peterborough and Ipswich. They are two big home games coming up.

It is Kids for a Fiver on Saturday and it will be a big crowd. You are getting bigger crowds than a lot of Premier League teams, has that support surprised you?

SA: No not really. Steve Bruce told me that when he played the last game here for Sunderland last season. Even though West Ham were relegated, 30,000 turned up. That is the measure of the commitment and the loyalty that the West Ham fans have for this football club and all I want to do is try and win as many victories for them that I can possibly can - particularly at Upton Park - so they can go home happy.

What is the latest on Robert Green's contract news?

SA: The contract situation is tentative at the moment ... it is in the background and probably better kicked off again in January rather than cause any disruption in the middle of such a critical time.

What about trialists David Carney and Juca?

SA: They have been released. The squad I have at the moment is good enough and big enough to cope with the demand we have. I am looking forward to continuing to develop those players and settle the new players in so they consistently perform to their best.

Bolton manager Owen Coyle has warned Arsenal they will have rival bidders for defender Gary Cahill when the January transfer window opens - with Chelsea also being linked with a move for the England centre-back.
Daily Mirror

Manchester United and Chelsea have been told to drop their interest in Juventus midfielder Milos Krasic.
talkSPORT

Inter Milan are set to go head-to-head with Tottenham to sign Brazil international Leandro Damiao in the January transfer window.
talkSPORT

Newcastle transfer target Scott Allan has rejected a new contract at Dundee United.
Daily Mail

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has confirmed goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes is likely to leave the club in January after dropping to third choice.
Daily Mirror

Russian sides Spartak Moscow and Lokomotiv Moscow are ready to launch a January transfer battle for Tottenham striker Roman Pavlyuchenko.
talkSPORT

Owen Hargreaves has blamed Manchester United for his three years of injury problems after making his Manchester City debut.
Daily Mirror

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood insists Joey Barton's claims that he could have joined the Gunners had it not been for his clash with Gervinho are not true.
Metro

QPR midfielder Shaun Wright-Phillips and Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge could be in the frame for an England call-up before the end of the year.
Daily Mail

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce believes it will be difficult for striker Asamoah Gyan to return to the Stadium of Light once his loan finishes at United Arab Emirates side Al Ain.
talkSPORT

Injured Aston Villa defender Carlos Cuellar is on the brink of a return to full training after missing the start of the season.
the Sun

Newcastle playmaker Hatem Ben Arfa says sitting out almost a year with a broken leg has made him a stronger person.
Daily Mirror

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew insists Liverpool and England striker Andy Carroll needs a confidence boost if he is to achieve the form he showed at St James' Park.
talkSPORT

A post-hair transplant Wayne Rooney credits his red hot Manchester United form to his barber's "magical powers".
Daily Mirror

babe of the day

http://bl.definebabe.com/6/69/9496/13.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Countryboy

Re: friday's news 23rd sept includes west ham

Post by Countryboy »

Great work as ever CH ... I thought I'd be up too early for your news report ... but I was wrong! :thup:
loopyludo

Post by loopyludo »

Cheers CH the more I hear from BS the more confidant I am that we are heading in the right direction
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Cheers CH.
Los Martillos
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Los Martillos »

Thanks mate

:thup:
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Thanks CH
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Would sooner start Faye than rush back Tomkins.

Also would love to see Green stay.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

fmgod wrote:Would sooner start Faye than rush back Tomkins.
Same

Save Tomkins for the tougher test on Tuesday night !
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

Cheers matey.
:thup:
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

cheers CH :thup:
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Thank you CH
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH :thup:
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

Tomkins had 2 knocks now and keeps getting straight back up again. :raver: I would think he'll definitely sit out tomorrow though, for the best!

Cheers CH
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

contract talks in January seems sensible

thanks CH
Tin Hat
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Tin Hat »

Cheers CH :thup:
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

We have a squad now with lots of games coming up and players getting knocks is the time ot utilise the strength in depth as well as giving a backup player a go who might grasp the oppotunity with both hands(unlike Barrea).
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH as always

Agree that better to wait till Tompkins is 100% fit rather than rushing him back - he is going to be so important for us this season.
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Thanks CH :thup:
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Nice one, as ever, CH!

I agree with others about Tomka. Better safe than sorry, Faye did well by all accounts, and could probably do with the game more than James. We're in no need to ruch him back
loopyludo wrote:Cheers CH the more I hear from BS the more confidant I am that we are heading in the right direction

Likewise.
I do enjoying reading his press conferences. Both because it's so refreshing to have someone who is obviously knowledgable and knows what he's doing, but also because I've really warmed to his persona. I can imagine him being great around the training pitches, and striking exactly the right balance between focussed professionalism, and nice friendly warm atmosphere, where you can have a laugh, but know you can't slack off for a second

However, one thing Sam said did make me wonder
Big Sam wrote: Having beaten Portsmouth in the end and got rid of that little nervous twitch
What was 'Arry doing turning up at one of our games....?
Ssc2011

Post by Ssc2011 »

Nice one CH :thup: