West Ham Utd 1 Peterborough 0 (24/09/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Romford
Big X

Re: West Ham Utd v Peterborough: match thread

Post by Romford »

WHU Independent wrote:I and the punters around me yesterday thought that The Posh played quite well. Lots of movement on and off the ball, first time passing, lots of effort but poor finishing. If I was in their area and they were playing at home, I'd go and give them another look.
I think we can say that about everyone apart from Cardiff tbh fella...

Their movement and running was refreshing...shame they had to get rid of CMS
Lez

Post by Lez »

fella fellas! We had an average day that is all...... Look all we gotta do is get promoted then bin the fat man :D

don't reply only joshing
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Sorry Romford, I must be being thicker than usual tonight as I still don't get where your coming from?

Never mind, I'm off on holiday and when I'm back I'll be at Southampton & Brighton so lets hope you're feeling better and happier then :wink:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Have a great Holiday boss :wink:
lopsidedbunny

Post by lopsidedbunny »

Hummm we get a goal by diving... :think: and the game wasn't overly good for the rest of the match... we are in trouble once we start playing the "bigger" clubs...
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

lopsidedbunny wrote:Hummm we get a goal by diving... :think: and the game wasn't overly good for the rest of the match... we are in trouble once we start playing the "bigger" clubs...
We'll do better against the bigger clubs as they will be expected to come at us, thats why we are doing so well away as the home side are expected to attack and we can exploit this but are finding it harder at Upton Park as other teams are content with a draw.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

At least Sam seems to feel the same as most fans.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11688_7199269,00.html
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote:At least Sam seems to feel the same as most fans.
You'll find the full press conferences, exclusively, here:

Allardyce: http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125698" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ferguson: http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125699" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote:At least Sam seems to feel the same as most fans.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11688_7199269,00.html
He still calls it 4-3-3 he isn't really saying anything he just reckons we should've scored more?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Even the BFS fans must admit the he has a problem telling the truth when it comes to tactics.

Im not sure he even knows what a 433 is :evil:
Bill
Stranded in the smog
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by Bill »

How can it be a 4-3-3 when your striker is so isolated?Also I thought Faubert was our most industrious player going forward. When Bentley came on he did seem to have that bit of extra class when he had the ball, but for some reason we started to play down the other side more, whereas when Faubert was on all our forward play seemed to go through him. Tbh I was amazed how Carew could be so static and only jump 2 inches off the ground. I have more movement than him and I have arthritic hips and a double hernia!
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

At times, Faubert, was playing more central than Carlton Cole which seemed baffling. Surely Faubert's job would to utilize the right hand sides space as much as possible. So many times in the game, Obrien or Lansbury, would be looking to offload it out wide but he was drifting inside the middle, leaving no option on the right hand side. A one point I think it was Matt Taylor, literally had to point to Faubert to go down the line and make a run. If he is going to play as an attacking player he needs to use the width and stay out on the right hand side otherwise his drifting will constantly push Cole even further away from goal. Bentley doesn't offer the same pace that Faubert does but he can cross a ball and has a bit more consistency than Faubert. If Sam can teach Faubert to stay on the wings then I think he will start supplying better. Our 'front 3' just looked a bit toothless.
Turn-It-In

Post by Turn-It-In »

Romford

I'm not getting into yet another argument...I'm embarrassed by how many many people only worry about the points.

Wrong again. What happened last season was embarrassing.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

You should take note of your username...
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Romford wrote:Even the BFS fans must admit the he has a problem telling the truth when it comes to tactics.

Im not sure he even knows what a 433 is
Even as someone who backs BFS as sorting out the spinless mess he was left with, when two of the front three are slow moving midfielders who are inevitably 25 yards behind the big bloke in the middle when the ball gets pumped to him.........it is not a 4-5-1, no matter what you say at press conferences.

It will be interesting to see what would happen if we went a few goals down early on......what's the bets that Nolan or Lansbury get pulled and Baldock is sent on pretty quickly. :think:
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

In my opinion the biggest disappointment of the last two games has been the awful delivery from out wide on both sides of the pitch.

To constantly get the opening for a cross and then overhit the thing over the top of everybody must drive the players who do get in the box mad, because if you make the same runs you are not actually expecting the ball to end up where you want it. With Faubert, Bentley and Taylor there is real potential to put the ball in with pace behind the defence, but the number of times it flies over everybody for a goal kick or throw on.

At half time on Saturday I thought we should have been comfortably in front, but more based on the positions we should have got into rather than those we actually did.

Nolan's impression of a flying boat landing was just typical of not burying a gilt edged chance to put the game away as early as possible and then maybe try something different.
Hammers Dad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Hammers Dad »

Romford wrote:I'm embarrassed by how many many people only worry about the points.
There is nothing else to worry about to be fair and if you are embarassed every game for the rest of the season then I'll be a happy man.
I'd rather win a scrappy game 1-0 than lose or draw an exciting game 4-3 or 4-4. This season is all about promotion and if it takes crap games we win to do it then so be it. I'm sure everyone on here would love to see us pummel the opposition for 90 minutes, score 3 or more each game and concede none, but in the real world, 1-0s will do fine. I'm just happy we're gaining points, keeping a positive goal difference (when did we last have one of them after 8 games?) and in the top few, fighting for the top spot.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

barlimanrob wrote:I think at the moment he's playing a 'consolidating' type of football. We need to get a bit more expressive on the counter, we'd all be happy with that.
-
I can't believe some people on here....we get belted week in week out last year and go down. This year - and as you accurately put it - Sam is consolidating, wouldn't this be the best course of action to get the season going with, not a losing run of games leaving us mid table with a real battle on our hands.

Here we are in fourth, with a decent goal average, unbeaten in seven and confidence building in the side to grind out results and people are STILL moaning....f*cking hell. Headbanger

I think Sam knows exaclty what he's doing, building a platform to power on from in the latter half of the season, he wouldn't be able to do that if we were mid table.

He keeps us top three or four within a handful of points of the top to make sure at the VERY MINIMUM we are in the playoff zone towards the end of the season.