Retractable seating at the OS

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

gavrosh

Re: Retractable seating at the OS

Post by gavrosh »

School sports days? Surely they dont need an 80k stadium for a sports day. We did perfectly well with flanders fields when i was a kid.

The noises coming from DG (who is this year far more vociferous than DS - which is a good thing) are very encouraging - keeping the floodlights (which to me suggests they extending the current roof rather than a totally new one) and what looks like a demountable seating system. Given the circumstances, thats the best possible outcome.
djclipz
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

school sports day.... surely they are having a laugh, i don't like the idea of taking things away from the kids... but who do they think is gonna pay for all the costs of opening a massive stadium for a school sports day.

Where my parents live, a brand new theatre has recently opened and the old smaller one has closed... The town is now capable of attracting quite big names on the comedy circuit and other shows etc but as a result, children's xmas plays (or whatever they are) are not being held in the new theatre because all the schools together can not simply cover the cost. So obviously this caused a little moaning, by which im sure isn't that many, so lets say each school's pta. Yeah its a problem and unfortunate, but its business at the end of the day, i don't see why the schools should be able to use such a venue if they can't afford it. In fact it is the council's problem for maybe not thinking about the issue (which im sure they did, and just came to the decision that's not a big problem compared to the business a new theatre will bring). Now it's all very nice Newham have got the idea of hosting such events there but come on, its bleeding 80,000 seat stadium. Give em a bloody outdoors track like i had. If you start running nationally then ok things are different, and im sure so is the funding. But school sports days, christ.
Rheo

Post by Rheo »

djclipz wrote:school sports day.... surely they are having a laugh, i don't like the idea of taking things away from the kids... but who do they think is gonna pay for all the costs of opening a massive stadium for a school sports day.

Sounds bloody daft to me too, but that's what Newham say on their website.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Check out the pics and vids of a demountable seating company. Ths vid on the right shows three blokes erecting (oo-err) an entire stand in a few hours - obviously we would need more than three blokes at the OS but it shows it can be done quickly and efficiently.

http://www.grandstandsworldwide.com/gallery.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

If we could get a single tiered demountable stand behind each goal, then I think that ain't to bad it would give us a chance of creating an atmospheric home end.
However how would the roof work, would these stands have separate roofs, like a normal stand?
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Here's my amateur attempt at putting a demountable seating config. onto the elevation of the OS:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Kent Bubble Blower wrote:What do we make of this...

@DavidGoldWHU"]“@stewer7: @DavidGoldWHU any news about seats at olympic stadium,will they be closer to the pitch( please say yes )” not got it yet but yes
He ain't going to say no, is he !

Can't see it happening too costly and it will look proper mickey mouse having a £500M stadium with temporary seating.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Pop Robson wrote: Can't see it happening too costly and it will look proper mickey mouse having a £500M stadium with temporary seating.
You cant quantify either of those statements, can you, without knowing how much it costs to install demountable seating, and what it looks like. What we do know is that DG has said a number of times now that some form of seating will be installed to bring the fans closer to the action, and we know from what can be done these days that demountable seating need not look too bad. Past that its conjecture, but I'd say its daft to be definitively in one camp or another at this juncture.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

gavrosh wrote:
You cant quantify either of those statements, can you, without knowing how much it costs to install demountable seating, and what it looks like. What we do know is that DG has said a number of times now that some form of seating will be installed to bring the fans closer to the action, and we know from what can be done these days that demountable seating need not look too bad. Past that its conjecture, but I'd say its daft to be definitively in one camp or another at this juncture.
Draft as a brush, temporary seating always looks great !
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Just wait a while to see the plans. If it looks as bad as the doubters suggest it will then im sure everyone will be up in arms. If, however, it looks really good, with a great roof, good facilities and most important a decent new seating system installed, I hope the pessimists will be man enough to admit they were wrong.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

gavrosh wrote:Just wait a while to see the plans. If it looks as bad as the doubters suggest it will then im sure everyone will be up in arms. If, however, it looks really good, with a great roof, good facilities and most important a decent new seating system installed, I hope the pessimists will be man enough to admit they were wrong.
Nothing would please me more than to be wrong.

Are optimists absolved of any need to admit that they're wrong in the event that this is the case?
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

gavrosh wrote:Just wait a while to see the plans. If it looks as bad as the doubters suggest it will then im sure everyone will be up in arms. If, however, it looks really good, with a great roof, good facilities and most important a decent new seating system installed, I hope the pessimists will be man enough to admit they were wrong.
the problem is , if it looks ****, it will be too late to do anything about this, the club could reveal plans anytime they like about seating layout and what type, but they havent, or wont until we are signed up and then it will be too late. and dont bother asking David gold because he will say whatever it will take to keep the majority happy, until of course they have it then it will be "sorry i did my best"
manstev
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by manstev »

mywhufc wrote: the club could reveal plans anytime they like about seating layout and what type, but they havent, or wont until we are signed up and then it will be too late. and dont bother asking David gold because he will say whatever it will take to keep the majority happy, until of course they have it then it will be "sorry i did my best"
As has been mentioned before a few times, the club does not know what is achievable Vs budget available. It was the tendering contractors job to come up with suggestions (with a design team) and cost options against each suggestion. There was a wish list (roof, seats etc) but ultimately the contractors and their design teams were given free reign to be innovative and offer solutions.

By the way I believe tenders have now been submitted.

The continual remarks about WH not giving details/designs and usng this in a negative manner to somwhow blacken the whole process are way off the mark. How can they, the plans are still in the inception stage. To reveal confidential solutions would be in breach of OFT rules with regard to the tenders. Only once a contractor has been selected and contracts placed will we see any firm information being released.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

I would run down Straford High Street singing "Little People" from Les Mis, (your name inspired me), in the dude with tassles on my weighty ball sacks that spin around, if all that happened.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

[/quote]I would run down Straford High Street singing "Little People" from Les Mis, (your name inspired me), in the dude with tassles on my weighty ball sacks that spin around, if all that happened.[/quote]

I'll avoid Stratford on that day, then.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

gavrosh wrote:
I'll avoid Stratford on that day, then.

Probably for the best :wink:
North East Iron

Post by North East Iron »

I think SRM are more than likely to get the contract anyway.
West Ham United

Post by West Ham United »

Could the club not go down the route of rotating the pitch?

They could still go with the original plan of improving the stands to make them steeper but then have demountable stands or seating areas either side of the pitch which would be taken apart once the season is finished. I've put together a quick paint job so please note that this isn't an artist impression that the club has funded.

So the logic behind it would be that the fans would sit in the original but now slightly improved stands marked 'N' and 'S'. Obviously the sight lines would not be ideal but would have improved with the regeneration work that we would have completed. A section of the North or South section could be given to the Away support. Stands 'E' and 'W' would be the stands or seating areas which would be constructed at the start of the season and taken apart at the close. If right we could be closer to the action than what we are at Upton Park. The areas behind the East and South stands could either be left empty or the club could go down the route of having kiosks where they would sell match programs, snacks, drinks and other bits and bobs.

I imagine there's going to be a glaringly obvious reason why this plan couldn't work which I haven't thought about! :lol:
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

West Ham United wrote:I imagine there's going to be a glaringly obvious reason why this plan couldn't work which I haven't thought about!
This seems utterly brilliant at first glance!

I'm sure someone will shoot it down mate, but it seems like the best workable solution to me. You should pm Sutts07 and see if he's interested in doing a mock up.

:thup:
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Doc H Ball wrote:
This seems utterly brilliant at first glance!

I'm sure someone will shoot it down mate, but it seems like the best workable solution to me. You should pm Sutts07 and see if he's interested in doing a mock up.

:thup:
pigs ear, sows purse springs to mind