Do we need to publicly protest the Olymic Stadium move?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Re: Do we need to publicly protest the Olymic Stadium move?

Post by The Rebirth »

Pop Robson wrote: rented athletics stadium, with White Seats, now who was banged on the were going to be Claret & Blue :think:
David Gold has said at the FF and on Twitter it will be our home and you will know it's home or words to that effect.

He said about changing the seats aswell
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

The Rebirth wrote:
David Gold has said at the FF and on Twitter it will be our home and you will know it's home or words to that effect.

He said about changing the seats aswell
before or after the recent announcements ?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

What are you protesting about ?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 914 likes
Total likes: 1902 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

They say whatever they need to say.

Who said:

'I don't think running tracks work, particularly behind the goal. The customers are so far back it doesn't work'?

Who else said:

'He (Lord Coe) can have an alternative track elsewhere. The bigger dream is for West Ham fans to have a football stadium'?
Napoleon Solo

Post by Napoleon Solo »

.............. on the other hand, everyone can just carry on doing absolutely nothing and wait for G & S to destroy West Ham United.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Napoleon Solo wrote:.............. on the other hand, everyone can just carry on doing absolutely nothing and wait for G & S to destroy West Ham United.

Or save it...like they did less than 2 years ago.
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

From my perspective I'm against the fact we're being shoehorned into a stadium that is not fit for football or the fans.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2905 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

the pink palermo wrote:I wonder why the club won't ask it's own fans ? :think:
dapablo wrote:
Because they are in the main emotional rather than rational !
That's a fair point .Sport , and supporting a team is an emotional business , and people are passionate .However , do we really believe people who are capable of electing a National Government, fighting in wars, running banks, building houses etc etc - all the lads and lasses you meet at the Boleyn , are not capable of expressing a view on whether they wish to move to a new stadium ?

Other clubs facing similar issues seem to manage a consultation process of sorts

Chelsea fans being consulted over move

Just to be clear, I'm not in the protest camp - I'm in the " it would be nice to be asked camp" .

The acid test if the move proceeds will be the ST renewal rate in the second year in Stratford .
roadmender

Post by roadmender »

This is a complete shambles now we should step back from this now and take stock of all the ins and outs so that we do not end up homeless.
The Rebirth

Post by The Rebirth »

roadmender wrote:This is a complete shambles now we should step back from this now and take stock of all the ins and outs so that we do not end up homeless.
How are we going to end up homeless? We still have the BG if the whole OS falls through. Do you really think they'd sell the BG if we didn't have the OS all tied up in contracts.

Scaremongering tripe.
Pop Robson wrote: before or after the recent announcements ?
He said after on Twitter about a 250 year lease and it being very much our home.
The Rebirth

Post by The Rebirth »

HarrowInnHammer wrote:From my perspective I'm against the fact we're being shoehorned into a stadium that is not fit for football or the fans.
The only thing that makes it not fit for football is the fact there is a running track there according to the Anti movement.

The laughable thing is and what I've noticed on Twitter is a lot of the people who are so up in arms about the move have either

A) Not been to an Olympic Stadium to watch football.
B) Rarely/if Ever go (factors being price / distance mainly)
C) Blindly following outspoken fans

Strange I might ask for a poll for people who do not go and why or people who do go but are unable to go regularly.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

HarrowInnHammer wrote:From my perspective I'm against the fact we're being shoehorned into a stadium that is not fit for football or the fans.
amen my friend

whilst open to suggestions as to how we expand as a club and keep up with the jones', moving into an arena not fit for purpose does not fill me with joy

as a club with over 100 years history, and a loyal fanbase who have been rewarded with very little in the previous 30 years, i believe we are deserving of a home that caters for our needs
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

The Rebirth wrote:The only thing that makes it not fit for football is the fact there is a running track there according to the Anti movement.

The laughable thing is and what I've noticed on Twitter is a lot of the people who are so up in arms about the move have either

A) Not been to an Olympic Stadium to watch football.
B) Rarely/if Ever go (factors being price / distance mainly)
C) Blindly following outspoken fans

Strange I might ask for a poll for people who do not go and why or people who do go but are unable to go regularly.
The distance from the pitch is a pretty major reason why it's not fit for football.
There's various other reason's that have been pointed out as well.
I go home and away I enjoy my ST seat in the TBL we sing plenty and have a fair amount of banter with the away support. We're also pretty close to the pitch which shows when players respond to our chants.
I don't think there will be anything like that experience at the OS, in fact it will be the total opposite which doesn't appeal to me one bit.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 914 likes
Total likes: 1902 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Would people please PM me ASAP if they are interested in meeting on Thursday.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer »

Yes to protest,
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo to move.
IMO,we must not move to the Olympic Stadium.
A rented home would leave us at the mercy of the owners ,what happens when we can't fill it every week?who will pay the rent?
They may well sign up for 250 years but what are the terms and conditions?
Could we be thrown out at any time if we don't meet them?.
What if we don't keep our place in the Prem? how many will watch ,what will the atmosphere be like in a half empty stadium ?
I think the only way to move there is to get rid of the running track ,or lower the pitch so it can be covered by seats.But it must be on a watertight contract that see's us stay even on a reduced crowed reduced rent basis.
I for one will not watch football from behind a running track.Do you really want to sit so far back you may as well watch it on TV.
I've been to several European grounds with running tracks(incl the Rome Olympic stadium) plus the old Wembley with a speedway track its not good.
It will be a very ,very bad move for West Ham United.
G and S only want to move to make Money they won't own West Ham forever ,the Fans will.
We must start a protest movment before its to late .
I've been watching West Ham Home and away since 1968 and have a season ticket in the west Lower.
Come on you Irons save the Boleyn.

http://www.birdair.com/images/projectga ... /Rome2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;